Need some plans for a SP-10 MkII plinth

richamor

amateur house husband
I found one set of dimensioned drawings on analogdepot. But there was another set I had found where someone had built a plinth and made a set of very nice drawings that could be sent to a plotter ot printed on two sheets in pdf form. In fact he was using the plinth in unfinished form he was so happy with it.

Looking for something like that :) Nice neat legible dimensioned drawings I can follow. Im sure I could wing it with what I have but I am more sure the info I need is out there. I found it once but butterstupidfinger hit the close button before I could stop him.

Any help you folks could give is always appreciated. I continue to search but my googlefu seems weak in this lunar cycle. Could be aliens?

Mine was built by a member here, his name is Bill, he might still be making them. I don't recall his AK name but he might see this tread and PM you.

I have been searching for a set myself and haven't found anything. If you come across some let me know.

Google Porterhouse Audio if you what to see a nice SP-10 plinth. I have talked to Albert Porter about building one for my SP-10R.

Here's my build:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/built-a-plinth-technics-sp10-mk2.714857/

If the OP finds it useful, all the power to him. It's not very hard to do. However, I think he is looking for technical drawings which can be fed into a computer program and have the router cut precision grooves accordingly.

Anyway, hope it helps and best of luck.

I had a blast doing it and learned a ton in the process, especially in working with veneers and glues.

I saw your build nines......very nice indeed. Even the wife commented on it. The drawing you were using in the second picture....same as this one?

ve_technics_sp10_mkii_mounting_template.pdf

The problem is no table saw. And the only cabinet makers I know are out of business. Closed up shop years ago. No computer router either. So it's me and basic hand tools and just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I'm after any information I can get. I'll be using the same 12" tonearm so my plinth will be very similar to your second incarnation. I do like that.

Attachments

• ve_technics_sp10_mkii_mounting_template.pdf
    917.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I saw your build nines......very nice indeed. Even the wife commented on it. The drawing you were using in the second picture....same as this one?

ve_technics_sp10_mkii_mounting_template.pdf

The problem is no table saw. And the only cabinet makers I know are out of business. Closed up shop years ago. No computer router either. So it's me and basic hand tools and just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I'm after any information I can get. I'll be using the same 12" tonearm so my plinth will be very similar to your second incarnation. I do like that.
Yes, same drawing.
If I can be of any help, don't be shy.
Wish you success.

Somwhere around here there is a thread where Beatcomber used hand tools to build a nice stacked plinth for his TD 124. I am sure his techniques can be used in principal to the build of one for the SP 10.

Regards
Mister Pig

I believe beatcomber had home depot cut the ply to size then he cutout the inside with a jig saw. Simple enough.

I what to build one for the new SP-10R but I talked to a few people and they suggested I wait until I get the table. Just incase they did change something on the new one.

Having HD or Lowes cut mine is the plan. I'd love to have that panel saw they have. I have a router and everything else I think. Except for maybe enough clamps:biggrin:

Having HD or Lowes cut mine is the plan. I'd love to have that panel saw they have. I have a router and everything else I think. Except for maybe enough clamps:biggrin:
You can always screw the layers together (one at a time) if you don't have enough clamps. :thumbsup:

You can always screw the layers together (one at a time) if you don't have enough clamps. :thumbsup:

I've thought about that. And I do like the idea. If anyone can think of a good reason NOT to use countersunk screws let me know before it's too late:)

Not sure about everywhere, but I wouldn't trust my local Lowe's to do precision cuts on the panel saw (especially if you are stacking the pieces). Anyway, you don't need a table saw, you can use a clamp-on straightedge (I got one from Harbor Freight) and a circular saw. Obviously you'll also need a router or jigsaw for the interior cuts.

Projects are good excuses to buy power tools :)

I've thought about that. And I do like the idea. If anyone can think of a good reason NOT to use countersunk screws let me know before it's too late:)
Nothing wrong with screws. Just don't put them where you will be cutting or drilling.

My problem bob is I always need to drill exactly where i put the only screw in the whole project. I think taking my time, some brown hide glue, and a box of 1.5" wood screws should be pretty solid. The cutouts shouldn't be that hard. The more I look at it the less daunting it appears. The last project turned out OK. Needs the bottom trim installed and finish polish but it's still standing:thumbsup:

cabinet.JPG

I found a lumber store about 2 hrs away that sells 1 inch Baltic Birch. I'm gonna call them Monday and see if they will cut the slabs for me. I'm planning on 16.5" x 21" for the overall size. That should give plenty of room for the 12" tonearm with 1" of overhang on the other 3 sides.

My problem bob is I always need to drill exactly where i put the only screw in the whole project. I think taking my time, some brown hide glue, and a box of 1.5" wood screws should be pretty solid. The cutouts shouldn't be that hard. The more I look at it the less daunting it appears. The last project turned out OK. Needs the bottom trim installed and finish polish but it's still standing:thumbsup:

View attachment 1124018

I found a lumber store about 2 hrs away that sells 1 inch Baltic Birch. I'm gonna call them Monday and see if they will cut the slabs for me. I'm planning on 16.5" x 21" for the overall size. That should give plenty of room for the 12" tonearm with 1" of overhang on the other 3 sides.
The SP-10 plinth looks to be a pretty simple design. It's a layered plinth with just a big square hole in the middle. Should be a piece of cake compared to the one I built for Thor. I could build a SP-10 plinth in a few hrs. The only thing I can see is making sure the screw holes that hold the chassis are in the right place. You should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom