Need some SERIOUS Prayers and MOJO from AK'ers! Wife Critical.

All my best wishes sent out to you and yours in this time of trial. Stay strong. We all hope for the best possible outcome.

God bless Dorcas! Please also bless her doctors and give them the answers to heal her from her illness in Jesus' name!

Thanks for the morning update (pg 5 for anyone who missed it). Do keep us updated when you can, we're all pulling for her (and you).

Just to Update from last night about 0200. They hope today her PEEP (PEEP: Abbreviation for positive end-expiratory pressure. A method of ventilation in which airway pressure is maintained above atmospheric pressure at the end of exhalation by means of a mechanical impedance, usually a valve, within the circuit. ) gets down and stays below 5cm H2O, at which point they'll take out the Esophageal breathing tube. Last night her peep was 7 to 8 and coming down nicely. When she comes out of sedation the 1st thing she tries to do is pull the tube. But she's restrained to prevent that and it aggravates the hell out of her. So hopefully she'll get the tube out today. Larry
I know how that's like. My daughter was in an accident which required insertion of one of those breathing tubes. I had to restrain her on a daily basis from pulling it out. The nurses applied wrist restraints, but my daughter has small dainty hands and she would work them out of the restraints when I wasn't looking. It's funny thinking back to those days, wasn't funny at all at the time though...

First. I hope all goes well and this is just a temporary issue that resolves.

I'm an icu RN and I'd like to say a few things about some of the posts you've put up. First don't worry about transplant. The drs will have to find why she had issues in the first place before swapping out kidneys. Your wife's kidneys may not have permanent damage. And besides. It's like swapping out a fuse, if you don't know why it blew, it could do it again.

Second, you rarely hear this but figuring out the cause does not happen very often, docs usually just treat the symptoms and not the problem. All we do is support the person so that they can heal. I'd say about half the time, we do not know the actually reason someone has organ failure.

Third. Peep is used to keep the avoli or air sacks open. With out peep the pressure to pop them open again for gas exchange could cause barotrauma. Or injury to the lungs. Pulling at the tube is actually a great sign and very common for a person intubated.

Fourth. Please. Take care of your self. Let the people there do the heavy lifting. You definitely do you share of work in the days to come so don't wear yourself out now.

I truly wish you well and will pray for your wife to have a speedy and full recovery.

Larry,

I am praying for your wife, for you, and for all of the Derouin family.
There is a lot of love going out to you and your loved ones.

Please take care of yourself!

Tom

Back
Top Bottom