Need speaker stand spike dimensions help!

rogerfederer

determined amateur
Subscriber
i bought some nice mordaunt-short speakers with stands. Stands have holes for spikes and a 12-24 screw fits. Screw dimension is 7/32s of an inch. What spikes would fit? When I google this I strike out. I also don't find the spikes at parts express described by their dimensions in a helpful,way. PE is closed or I would call them. Default is I will call them on Monday.

Thanks for any ideas!

i bought some nice mordaunt-short speakers with stands. Stands have holes for spikes and a 12-24 screw fits. Screw dimension is 7/32s of an inch. What spikes would fit? When I google this I strike out. I also don't find the spikes at parts express described by their dimensions in a helpful,way. PE is closed or I would call them. Default is I will call them on Monday.

Thanks for any ideas!

Most speaker stands take metric spikes, 6mm is the most common size. A few take 8mm spikes. Since Mordaunt Short is a British company, I'm thinking the odds are pretty good their stands take 6mm spikes, not 12-24.

I've bought a couple pair of very nice speaker stands at Goodwill that were missing the spikes. In both cases, I purchased spikes from a British eBay seller that goes by audioserenity. The spikes were the correct size, well made, and even with international shipping, only about $20 for a set of 8 spikes, complete with matching nuts and washers, delivered to my front door.

good thinking but i took the stand to home depot and the guy tried different screws. i assumed metric too. but the 12-24 screw fit perfectly.

i have purchased from audioserenity so i'll check out their site re this size. thanks!

EDIT: checked audioserenity and they only have metric

Thanks for any ideas!

12-24 UNC is M5.5 x 0.5. Either is an odd size for speaker spikes and I've never seen aftermarket spikes in that size.

If the stands have threaded inserts you could remove those and replace with one of the standard sizes, M6, M8 or 1/4-20.

If the stands are metal, and they aren't already drilled and tapped for M6 spikes, I'd just retap the holes to M6 (or maybe 1/4-20) as it will open up a world of options.

But, I'd go back to Home Depot (or elsewhere) first and actually try an M6 screw first. 12-24 is a half millimeter smaller than M6 and sometimes a slightly smaller size screw will fit in a larger mounting hole - but it will be a loose fit.

I'd be really surprised if they truly are 12-24 mounting holes. That would be a very unusual size for speaker spikes for a US company. I can't imagine a British company using such an odd ball size when M6 is kind of a defacto standard.

Last edited:
he did try metric screws and they did not fit. i forget which ones, though pretty sure M5 was one of them. 12-24 fitted perfectly. i'll look to see if there is a way to re-thread or remove something to allow new insert.

he did try metric screws and they did not fit. i forget which ones, though pretty sure M5 was one of them. 12-24 fitted perfectly. i'll look to see if there is a way to re-thread or remove something to allow new insert.
Contact Mordaunt, see if they can be of any help.

Are the speaker stands actually made by Morduant-Short?

I found this table on the Herbie's Audio Lab web site. It lists the Morduant-Short spike sizes as 1/4-20 and M6. Of course it may mean these are for the spikes for their floor standing speakers, and not their speaker stands.

The table may not help you, but it's pretty extensive and may help a future reader with a similar question.

The M5 wouldn't work as the metric equivalent for the 12-24 is M5.5 x 0.5 and that makes all the difference in the world.

stands appear to be MS as the bottom of the speakers have holes tapped exactly for these stands
don't see easy way to re-tap the threads on the stands
will try to do pictures, maybe tomorrow

Thanks for any ideas!

I have in my hand some spikes that PE sells, stock number 240-725. Recently acquired a couple of Infinity speakers which had one busted spike, had to buy replacements. The threads on the PE ones match the Infinity stock ones, which are 1/4-20; the new ones are about 1 1/2" from top thread to point of the spike.

stands appear to be MS as the bottom of the speakers have holes tapped exactly for these stands
don't see easy way to re-tap the threads on the stands
will try to do pictures, maybe tomorrow

Did you ever get an answer from Mordaunt-Short on the correct thread size and pitch for the spikes for your stands? Did you ask if they could supply replacement spikes?

Back
Top Bottom