Need suggestion for my collection

Originally posted by Punker X

Annnndddddd... just how many vintage component systems have you listen to? I've had quite a few TOTL vintage receiver come through here and none compare with my TOTL A-Line Marantz components.

???? I am not talking about comparing seperates to receivers or anything, but I am just saying, if I think modern gear, I think someone is just trying to get the most features for their money, if I look at vintage receivers, I don't think that, I can tell easily form the nits I have owned, and also the Sansui 9090DB's I will be getting soon.

I mean, you mean to tell me cintage receivers, escpeally the TOTL units were not made with sound etc.. in mind?

Clarity

Nightwolf, I think you missed the point of the previous post. What Jeannot very concisely pointed out was that receivers, by their very nature, are creatures of compromise. Any stand alone tuner, for example, will do a better job than that found on most receivers. Any separate amplifier will do far better, watt for watt, than the amp section on a receiver. This is true only because a receiver is tasked with doing all things within certain construction limitations as well as the expense required to keep performance acceptable.
Therefore, comparing a stand alone amp with the amp on a receiver really can't be done, the receiver is at a distinct disadvantage because it's construction is necessarily so different.
Does this mean that Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer etc., did'nt care how they sounded?. Absolutely not!. They got the very best sound from their gear, but they did so within the constraints of what they were trying to do. Receivers represent really nothing more than one stop audio shopping.

Clarity

Nightwolf, I think you missed the point of the previous post. What Jeannot very concisely pointed out was that receivers, by their very nature, are creatures of compromise. Any stand alone tuner, for example, will do a better job than that found on most receivers. Any separate amplifier will do far better, watt for watt, than the amp section on a receiver. This is true only because a receiver is tasked with doing all things within certain construction limitations as well as the expense required to keep performance acceptable.
Therefore, comparing a stand alone amp with the amp on a receiver really can't be done, the receiver is at a distinct disadvantage because it's construction is necessarily so different.
Does this mean that Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer etc., did'nt care how they sounded?. Absolutely not!. They got the very best sound from their gear, but they did so within the constraints of what they were trying to do. Receivers represent really nothing more than one stop audio shopping.

Here are pictures of my Sansui G-9700 Receiver alone and in context of the system it supports. I have two Pioneer RT 707 reel to reel tape decks. One Sony Linear Turntable, one 6 disk CD player, One Technics MX 270 R cassette deck. One AKAI graphic equalizer and one one Pioneer audio expander. It is NOT pretty but it all works!

Sansui G9700a.jpg

Below is a close up picture of my Sansui G-9700 alone. Everything works on my Sansui G-9700 except one LED bulb is burned out.

Sansui G9700b.jpg

This thread hasn't been touched in 17 years. It's among the earliest threads on AK. What made you want to revive it?

- Pete

This thread hasn't been touched in 17 years. It's among the earliest threads on AK. What made you want to revive it?

- Pete

I'm just autistic. I was so happy I FINALLY got my Sansui G-9700 I just wanted to share the news. I'm not that literate about social media. I just saw Sansui G-9700 and posted.

Back
Top Bottom