Neil Young "On The Beach" CD

moondog

Just got it today & must say... I think they did a helluva job mastering it to CD. Very nice sound for digital IMHO. Big & Warm.

I wish more CD's had this warmth.
Anybody else have it yet?
mOOn

BTW... Setting up my new cartridge tonight. Can't wait to play some virgin vinyl! :cool:

I've got it mOOn and agree with your description. All of the recent NY re-issues that I have heard have sounded very good. I believe Opt80 has picked up some of these also and posted a review here somewhere.

-Dave

Moonie,I agree with your assessment of "ON The Beach"
"American Stars and Bars" is incredible also.

I picked up "Hawks and Doves" but I haven't cracked it yet

Alan

Just poking a lil' fun at old man mOOn :D :D

Although I do believe N Young has the most irritating voice on the planet. Other then that he's fine. :p:

J

Like I said, He has so much to learn. His idea of good music is Tenacious D!
Take about irritaing crap!!! :puke:

Damn youth of today anyway. :D

Now you're pushing it hot-dog!!! :mad:

Like Janis said: "Don't compromise yourself. It's all you've got."
But unfortunately in your case... That doesn't seem to be much. :D

Oh BTW Johnny... I'm really enjoying my TT today. You know the one you always want to take home with you every time you visit. Sounds amazing now that I've got the new cartridge on & setup to spec. ;)

Spinning some Johnny Winter "Saints & Sinners" right now & it's kicking big time! Of course you wouldn't like it though. It's good music.

Have a good night... I know I will. :D
mOOn

Cool beans mOOnie !! Someday you'll get tired of that TT , I hope :cool:

Sounds like you're set for the day. I'm headphone boy tonight. Giving My wife a break for awhile. I'm not complaining, the Grados are singing quite nicely :hdphones:

Picked up The Sacrilicious Sounds of The Supersuckers, REV. Horton-Heat, The Full-Custom Gospel Sounds Of and a good Kyuss cd ....And The Circus Leaves Town . Good score for the day. Got the Supersuckers bouncing round my head as I write. Yeah BABY !!!!

Sure hope none of your old ass records skip on ya tonight, you would have to get your old ass outta your rocking chair :D

Enjoy :beerchug:

J

Last edited:
Very Cool mOOn!:cool: Wish I could pop over for a listen. I know
you will have the big fun tonight.;)

Carl

What's the deal there Johnny... Sounds like you actually picked up some decent music today. :confused:

Have fun. ;)

Yeah Carl - Wish you could be here. The first piece of virgin vinyl that I spun was "Spirit - Self Titled." Man was that ever cool. I'm sure we'll hit that one again tonight along with many others I've got pulled out.

I'm like a kid with a new toy.
Off to the playroom. :)

Take care, mOOn

I'm glad you're getting that TT sorted out for me. Shit I prolly wont have to do a thing to it once you sell it to me, cool :D :D

Really tho- Thats is one sweet looking TT. I can imagine it sounds just as sweet. I was impressed by the sheer size of that puppy.

Hey , I was a nats ass away from picking up a Hawkwind Lp tonight, had it in my hand, but then went for the REV. I believe it was Electric Tepee (???) something along those lines. Whats a good album from those guys ? A good intro album ?

And hey, ALL I HAVE is GOOD MUSIC !!!!

J:cool:

I picked up 'On the Beach' recently (never heard it before) and yes, I thought it sounded pretty good, I particularly like "See the Sky About to Rain" (sounds like a nice Wurlitzer on that track) and "Motion Pictures" (acoustic guitar tuned down low- typical Neil sound)

The other Neil album I'm very partial to is 'Comes a Time'. And "Broken Arrow" from his B.S. days is an amazing song.

I was listening to 'On the Beach' last night and enjoying it. Also watched the new Joni Mitchell dvd I picked up, 'Woman of Heart & Mind' which is Excellent. 'Hejira' & 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter' - her level of songwriting on these two albums is just sublime.

I agree. A great album that captures Neil's "dark mood" very well. Bought it on vinyl back in '74 and was always appalled that it was never re-released on CD. Got my reissue in a mini-Lp jacket from Red Trumpet last month. Worth the price of admission just for "Walk On" and "See The Sky..."

Johnny, if you are thinking about Hawkwind the only thing I really would recommend is titled "Space Ritual." It is an early live album and is way, way, way out there. You know tripping without drugs. Great concept I think. You shouldnt pick on Moon so much. Guys like him could turn you on to sounds so great your young ass would be trashing a lot of your current collection. Fortunately for some, unfortunately for others so much great stuff was done in what I call the renissance (Spelling?) of music. The mid 50s through the mid 70s. It cannot be denied the greatest stuff ever recorded for the most part was recorded in these times. After that it is touch and go, here today gone tomorrow. Sure there is great new stuff out there but again its usually a flash in the pan. I guess in the old school times everything was not used up. I mean it was unexplored territory untainted by disco, MTV, and the FM Radio Hit Nazis.

Heil HITler (not seriously)

Thanks Tube'

I'll look for the Hawkwind.

The only reason I give mOOnie a hard time is he's cool as a fan and I know he knows where I'm coming from. He has already turned me onto some great stuff. In fact he's opened up a whole new area of music for me I prolly never would have considered.

Still don't get the whole Alice Cooper thang tho- :headscrat

J:cool:

Back to the original thread topic I have On The Beach as an unopened 8 track tape. In the 80s some of my cars and my VW Micro-Bus had 8 track decks so I ran out and bought up 50 cent tapes and ended up with a lot of great music for almost nothing. I still have them. A properly cleaned player and a good tape sound just as good as anything else to me. I have long since upgraded to cassette for the cars but I continue to use a Pioneer deck in my home system. Sounds great and has the capability of being able to stop at the change point of each track or continuous play. The stop-track feature is handy for dubbing to cassette so you can eliminate the old flutter followed by the mighty click of the head relay. Maybe I can find a way to put them to CD. Electronic irony huh? Anyway maybe I will crack open the "Beach" and give it a try. I think I always took it for granted that it would be booring in my younger years. I always have liked most artists earlier stuff and I think the same for Neil. You know the Buffalo Springfield stuff, the CSN&Y stuff like 4 Way Street, and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. This stuff is the cream of the Young crop in my ears!:zoom: :yippy: :nutz: :thmbsp: :grnbounce

Back
Top Bottom