Nelson Pass DIY F5 build

Nice looking case and build! Care to share the details?
Thanks!. I made the chassis myself, the handles, front plate, legs on a milling machine and lathe i own.
Got 2 300VA trafos, with the shields, and dual diode and psu boards so it's
dual mono from one end to the other. Heat sinks are from Conrad.
Got the amp boards on "the doc of the Bay" that are copies of the originals from Nelson's F5 cause those have a nice even spreading of the output devises
on the sinks.
A HUGE thank You to Nelson Pass for those awesome DIY amps!. Easy to build
simple circuitry that sounds awesome :yes: .

Welll folks 5.5 years of continuous operation and this morning the amp is blowing the breaker on my surge protector. Considering the environment I'm really impressed. Its on a low platform under my desk where all kinds of nasties live.

Many would be on the market for a new amp... not me, these F5's are still impressing me and I'm going to be digging in to it.

So what's the punch line special?

Russellc

So what's the punch line special?

Russellc

I haven't dug into it. I have a backup amp (Topping TP20-MK2) that is in place. My "shop" is in the basement and sits at about 45f during the winter.

Maybe it's just a blown fuse though. I have a bum circuit in my house that it was plugged in to.

I haven't dug into it. I have a backup amp (Topping TP20-MK2) that is in place. My "shop" is in the basement and sits at about 45f during the winter.

Maybe it's just a blown fuse though. I have a bum circuit in my house that it was plugged in to.

Wouldnt surprise me if amp is fine!

Well I did have a spare 15 minutes yesterday while waiting on swmbo, so I popped the lid on it and poked around with a meter.

The fuse was fine so I powered it up.

The power LEDs on each channel lit up.

I measured + and - 22.something on the power supply rails.

DC offset was .007 on one side and .045 on the other.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a bum circuit on the outlet it was plugged in to. The breaker isn't tripped yet nothing works on that line. I have an electrician coming on Thursday, I will be waiting until after that visit to put it back in the system.

I'm using a $79 T amp in there new, it's surprisingly good.

Well I did have a spare 15 minutes yesterday while waiting on swmbo, so I popped the lid on it and poked around with a meter.

The fuse was fine so I powered it up.

The power LEDs on each channel lit up.

I measured + and - 22.something on the power supply rails.

DC offset was .007 on one side and .045 on the other.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a bum circuit on the outlet it was plugged in to. The breaker isn't tripped yet nothing works on that line. I have an electrician coming on Thursday, I will be waiting until after that visit to put it back in the system.

I'm using a $79 T amp in there new, it's surprisingly good.

The F-5 is probably fine. Build an Aleph J along with me, almost done!

Russellc

Don't, by chance, have an upstream GFCI receptacle that's tripped out?

The F-5 is probably fine.

Yes it is! I put it back in system Saturday and she's singing along. I'm sure it had to do with the other electrical gremlins in that room.

Build an Aleph J along with me, almost done!

Russellc

I can't wait to hear about it - But I'm afraid my building days are pretty much over.

Don't, by chance, have an upstream GFCI receptacle that's tripped out?

No, it was a gremlin in an overhead fixture. It's an old house with cloth-insulated wiring. It took an electrician (maybe I use the term loosely?) almost 3 hours to find it. I know he looked at that junction box at least twice before he located the jinky connection.

Back
Top Bottom