Nelson Pass F5 Take Five..

Although I am not a complete newbie to DIY audio, I'm not far off either. I have recapped a few things, rebuilt some speaker crossovers and built a pair of Indignias. Alas I have come to the point where I think have enough (too much?) confidence to take on an amplifier project.

From what I have read, this is one hell of an amp and well worth the effort. I'm a little green, but if I can lean on you fellas a little I think we can get through this. :D

So far, all I have gotten is the circuit boards all ordered in from cviller at DIYaudio.com and I am contemplating the heat sink / enclosure, which seems to be where alot of the money in this project gets eaten up.

I have considered buying these heat sinks:

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/storename/heatsinkusa/ViewDept-263913.aspx

and having aluminum sheets cut to assemble the enclosure using the heatsinks as the side panels. Here is where I am looking at getting the aluminum sheeting cut to size:

http://www.cut2sizemetals.com/aluminum/flat-sheet/ash/

There is a local place that can powder coat all of the above pieces in black for a uniform look and their rates are pretty cheap.

Before I dig into the electronics of this project I want to figure out this case issue. It seems like the only thing remaining there will be the front faceplate. Any ideas there?

Although I am not a complete newbie to DIY audio, I'm not far off either. I have recapped a few things, rebuilt some speaker crossovers and built a pair of Indignias. Alas I have come to the point where I think have enough (too much?) confidence to take on an amplifier project.

From what I have read, this is one hell of an amp and well worth the effort. I'm a little green, but if I can lean on you fellas a little I think we can get through this. :D

So far, all I have gotten is the circuit boards all ordered in from cviller at DIYaudio.com and I am contemplating the heat sink / enclosure, which seems to be where alot of the money in this project gets eaten up.

and having aluminum sheets cut to assemble the enclosure using the heatsinks as the side panels. Here is where I am looking at getting the aluminum sheeting cut to size:

There is a local place that can powder coat all of the above pieces in black for a uniform look and their rates are pretty cheap.

Before I dig into the electronics of this project I want to figure out this case issue. It seems like the only thing remaining there will be the front faceplate. Any ideas there?

Great, nice to see another build starting up. Nice you are working on the case first, I havent gone there yet, but I was eyballing the exact same heat sinks. Right now I'm doing a very simple tutorial on board stuffing, most here are beyond this, but I thought it might make some on the fence about beginning a DIY amp jump. This one is excellent, and the boards, while tiny, are inexpensive as are the stuffing parts. The rest is fairly straight forward, just expensive, and lots of decisions to make. While you clear up case mysteries, I'll get them comfortable stuffing boards. Along with the other members completed amps, this should round out anyone with doubts or questions. You can really build this amp for a few hundred, the original cost thousands! (Of course it would be hand built by Nelson Pass himself.:thmbsp:)

Russellc

Take Five, how fitting!

Enjoy your build Anthony, we'll be here.

61B6e-SkJ1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Another member about to be pleasantly surprised :D.

I checked on prices from the linked source, above. Those prices are outrageous. A 19" x 15" .125 aluminum plate, which would be a good bottom panel, is priced at $28.00, ridiculous. I don't know where Surprise is but if you're close to a metro area, a visit to a scrap metals dealer will bring down the price considerably. I followed the same plan, building the chassis around the heatsinks, and spent less than $50 for the total chassis. This included a .375 x 8" x 19" faceplate. That is about a six pound piece, alone.

I had thought about having some etching or machining done for the faceplate (and I still might do that) but chose to button up the build, quickly, and ended up polishing the faceplate. I did cut a chamfer on the front edges and drilled holes for the fasteners and handles. With a raw plate of aluminum, you have a blank canvas and can make it any way you wish. I did find a local anodizer, a small shop, that will anodize all of the amp panels and another project I'm working on, about the same size, for $50.00. This is his minimum cost and work is priced according to weight and size.

Good to see another builder from AK. FWIW, I've sidelined my Kenwood Supreme in favor of the F5. BTW, those heat sinks look like good 'uns.

Attachments

• IMG_0003 (10).JPG
    IMG_0003 (10).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Check out ebay item 370262841221 for an enclosure. It looks like it would work fine, do others agree?

This is the same guy that sells the torroid transformer you need.

Check out ebay item 370262841221 for an enclosure. It looks like it would work fine, do others agree?

This is the same guy that sells the torroid transformer you need.

That is the eBay store for Par-Metal enclosures and Antek transformers. John's customer service is top notch. His accent is thick, though, and I don't think English is his first language, so you might want to make sure you do all your communication via email so that there's no misunderstandings.

Par-Metals stocks a dizzying array of enclosures and if you can't find exactly what you're looking for, their custom work isn't too cost-prohibitive.

If you're thinking of a fancier faceplate, try Front Panel Express. You download their CAD software and design your own faceplate, then send the company the finished file. It's not too hatefully priced, even if you're just ordering one.

Good luck and keep us posted!

John's customer service is top notch. His accent is thick, though, and I don't think English is his first language, so you might want to make sure you do all your communication via email so that there's no misunderstandings.

My torroid came direct from John, but I only communicated via email. Price was more than fair, and shipping was dizzying fast.

If you're thinking of a fancier faceplate, try Front Panel Express. You download their CAD software and design your own faceplate, then send the company the finished file. It's not too hatefully priced, even if you're just ordering one.

In one of the other threads, Sir Byrd suggested a plate made of exotic wood. Egfud and I have been kicking that idea around for our Grounded Grid preamps, and I really like it for the F5.

Heatsinkusa are pretty cool. I ordered two 8" lenghts of the 10.08 extrusions for an amp project I'm working on. Their prices are very good. Good choice!

Good luck with your project!

az

Another member about to be pleasantly surprised :D.

I checked on prices from the linked source, above. Those prices are outrageous. A 19" x 15" .125 aluminum plate, which would be a good bottom panel, is priced at $28.00, ridiculous. I don't know where Surprise is but if you're close to a metro area, a visit to a scrap metals dealer will bring down the price considerably. I followed the same plan, building the chassis around the heatsinks, and spent less than $50 for the total chassis. This included a .375 x 8" x 19" faceplate. That is about a six pound piece, alone.

I had thought about having some etching or machining done for the faceplate (and I still might do that) but chose to button up the build, quickly, and ended up polishing the faceplate. I did cut a chamfer on the front edges and drilled holes for the fasteners and handles. With a raw plate of aluminum, you have a blank canvas and can make it any way you wish. I did find a local anodizer, a small shop, that will anodize all of the amp panels and another project I'm working on, about the same size, for $50.00. This is his minimum cost and work is priced according to weight and size.

Good to see another builder from AK. FWIW, I've sidelined my Kenwood Supreme in favor of the F5. BTW, those heat sinks look like good 'uns.

Well, I decided to go the same direction you did in terms of the chassis. Went to a local metal yard yesterday and bought all the aluminum I need including a 3/8" piece for the front panel.

They sheared all pieces for me to the sizes I need and now the only thing left for me to do as far as assembly is drill holes and bolt everything together.

I went with the same size angle pieces for joining the top, sides, front, back and bottom.

Once everything is drilled and ready to go, I am thinking about getting all exterior panels, including the faceplate powder coated in wrinkle black. I also would like to add a pair of heavy duty rack handles to the front since this thing is gonna be heavy. Also, maybe an LED so that you know when the amp is on.

The inside dimensions are going to be 12" x 12.5" x 7" which might be a little tight, but I can get creative there.

I'm standing by to see what you build, it sounds like you have a clear plan.

A couple of guys looked at my F5 case the other day and remarked it was a pretty large sized chassis for the wattage. It is 17" x 15" x 6.75" (without faceplate and feet) You should be able to get everything in the smaller footprint plan.

The nice thing about an all-aluminum case is that the panels are transferring a lot of heat, as well. Others have remarked about the amount of heat dissipated by the sinks and even NP used terms like "uncomfortable to touch for more than 5 seconds" or some such. After hours of operation, I can put my hand on the top of the heatsinks, indefinitely. I should buy a device to measure the actual temps. :scratch2::smoke:

Here are a couple of quick pictures of one of my F5s using cviller's pcbs and 6" lengths of heatsinksUSA's 10.080 profile. I mounted the power supply pcb over the toroid so inside width is 8", length is 10.080 and height is 6". I stil have to make the top and front panels

GEO

Attachments

• F5 front 2.jpg
    F5 front 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 411
  • F5 rear 2.jpg
    F5 rear 2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 337
The next design challenges I am looking at are:

1. How to "vent" the top piece of aluminum sheet.
2. Where to find or create some beefy rack handles.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Go Anthony Go! Nice project, these look great and the specs are Awesome. I will love to see and hear this one when you are done!

Any thoughts or ideas?
I drilled two rows of offset holes around the perimeter. I could have cut slots with a router but I think the holes allow enough convection and why let more dust into the case (with slots).

Home Depot has quite an inventory of different cabinet handles. You can also order a custom size and type.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thats another reason I wanted to build an "upright" style amp, space can be left at the bottom, and a space under the top plate.

Russellc

Here are a couple of quick pictures of one of my F5s using cviller's pcbs and 6" lengths of heatsinksUSA's 10.080 profile. I mounted the power supply pcb over the toroid so inside width is 8", length is 10.080 and height is 6". I stil have to make the top and front panels

GEO

What did you use to blacken the heatsinks? VERY nice looking amp there.

Russellc

Back
Top Bottom