"Neon" signs-Marantz, Sony, Technics, etc.

Blue Meanie

Scratch 'n' Sniff
Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but thought it might be of interest to someone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50591&item=5741743052

Check this guy's other items too. He has Marantz, Sony, Technics, Yamaha, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. It says that custom signs are available too. I have no affiliation with this person. I was just surfing ebay and stumbled accross the listing and thought it was sort of cool...

Jeff

Last edited:
US seller may have someting

Greetings all.

I bought a brand new h/k neon sign on eBay from the following seller who is in CA. Shipping was not bad, even to Canada. Item was well packed and arrived very quickly. Sellers current auctions is available from the following link: http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQsassZpkr4uQQsojsZ0QQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortpropertyZ1

You could email him to see if he has any other similar signs. The ones from Hong Kong are not the traditional neon type like the one I bought.

I found this a couple of days ago and then ran across these same signs very cool but I also was put off by the location.

luvvinvinyl said:
Noticed the seller is in Hong Kong. Watch out for shipping cost and transit time!

True, shipping is $19.99 for airmail. Perhaps that makes his items overpriced in the end. But they are still nifty looking! Everyone seems to be getting them around 10 days after end of auction. Not too shabby in that respect. I've dealt with plenty of Ebay sellers that take longer than that here in the states.

Manitoulin said:
Greetings all.

I bought a brand new h/k neon sign on eBay from the following seller who is in CA. Shipping was not bad, even to Canada. Item was well packed and arrived very quickly. Sellers current auctions is available from the following link: http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQsassZpkr4uQQsojsZ0QQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortpropertyZ1

You could email him to see if he has any other similar signs. The ones from Hong Kong are not the traditional neon type like the one I bought.

Thanks for the link. He MAY have others, but he has nothing similar listed at the moment. Nor anything neon listed in the last 30 days of his completed auctions. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask though...

Right, his signs are not traditional neon. Hence the quotation marks around "neon" in the subject line of my original post. :D

IMO, they look cooler than most neon signs, because the "logo" is in the same font as the original. But whether they look as good in person as they do in the listing pics is another matter entirely. Also, if it was me, with the black background on these, the bulb housing would be repainted black on the outside instead of the white they appear to be.

Jeff

Last edited:
HK= Not having worry about copyright. There are 3-4 I would love. Damm you!

But thanks...... :thmbsp:

jerrymrc said:
HK= Not having worry about copyright. There are 3-4 I would love. Damm you!

But thanks...... :thmbsp:

Good point that. Never thought about the copyright issues. It looks like you can make the background color anything you choose. I hadn't realized that before. The more I look at these, the more I like them! I wonder how much a custom one would cost...

Here's another seller:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZbbcc56QQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortpropertyZ1

I haven't really looked through all the ones each seller has, but this one has a nice McIntosh sign.

Last edited:
It says

Ship from Asia
United Kingdom

and the killer

"Seller prefers Paypal and cash" :wtf: CASH?

Almost all those signs are the same seller, so...

:dunno:

asynchronousman said:
It says

Ship from Asia
United Kingdom

and the killer

"Seller prefers Paypal and cash" :wtf: CASH?

Almost all those signs are the same seller, so...

:dunno:

I've never bought anything from Hong Kong. Why does preferring cash raise a red flag? If it was a cash ONLY transaction, then I'd be worried, but he accepts Paypal. What payment method would you prefer? I don't understand the United Kingdom thing either.

How did you determine "almost all those signs are the same seller"? I'm not sure what you mean...

Sending cash to a foreign seller is a terrible proposition. Paypal, while I DON'T care for it, at least has some basic guarantees and protections if I am wronged. Try getting your money back from HK or UK (they could be on MARS, you don't have to put SHIT about where you really are, just like I don't)!

Hong Kong is part and parcel of the People's Republic of China, and was made so by the 1997 treaty handover by Great Britain. The Chinese are currently fairly concerned about stopping counterfeit goods trafficking and other issues of international, intellectual and business property violations. Any business or trademark owner who feels his trademark is being infringed will take eBay to court and then ask the Chinese government for sanctioning and redress. Just WHERE did this guy come up with all these signs? Are they made in HK or did he stash his collections in HK? And why are the transactions apparently being handled from HK if he says he is in the UK? Would you like to ask him?

Do ask more than enough Qs it you do fancy one of those signs. Caveats are due here.

Sincerely,

Steven

As cheap as they are, why not? You can't buy a neon 'Exit' sign in the states for less than $150, much less something audio-related for your listening room.

The whole 'UK' thing is probably just something he did, so they would actually show up in our stateside/North America searches. Look at the feedback for cripes sake. I've seen another ebayer, with more feedback, doing the same thing.

Where are they getting them? Cheap labor, no doubt. I still don't know how or why they are offered so cheap - but who cares, if you want it, and receive it.

I have NO issues, sending well-concealed cash to reputable sellers. I've received it myself several times, without evening knowing it was coming as cash.

Cheers,
Russ

Last edited:
I who have nothing prefer to risk damned little of my nothing to someone I know absolutely nothing of.

What am I compaining about? Oh, nothing...

Nothing ventured, nothing gained? Of course, but nothing asked, nothing learned. Nothing to trifle bout, and nothing to change my mind.

I hope that nothing bad happens to nobody involved

Good night, Mary Ellen, good night, Ben, good night Elizabeth...

Good night Russ.

(My goodness! The Charlottesville station has been off the air for quite a while now. Please turn that radio off!)

Last edited:
Pay attention fellow AK'ers, even if you have lost (or never received) your asynchronousman decoder ring, this is a prime example of how to use the 'bold' feature in your posts.

Give good, and get give. Baby arm to you all.

;)

Cheers,
Russ

If you say so... :scratch2:

I didn't save enough boxtops for mine to decode that. Good night.

Let me know how your sign turns out LOL

Here's the deal....I've bought from a similar sign from seller 369parts who may or may not be the same guy. Because they're in China they get away with bloody murder concerning copyright issues, so if that's a problem for you then don't buy from him.

The sign is actually a fluorescent unit above a Lexan(?) clear plastic panel which the name or trademark is CNC machined on the backside. It is edge lit so the name/trademark appears to light up more so than the plastic overall.

They shipped quickly and it arrived in working order. The power cord is scary thin and I doubt this meets UL approval, but mine hasn't gone up in flames so am guessing it's "good enough"

Some of his auctions begin at only a penny and actually end up selling for that same penny....add in the $19.99 shipping and you've got a sign for $20! Granted the S&H costs him far less, but that's his way of screwing eBay out of their excessive fees (which do not factor in postage when calculating the cost to the seller). Pretty slick! What I find really amusing is how some buyers snivel about the "excessive" S&H!!! They shouldn't have bid on it in the first place!!! Besides, if the final price was $20 what does it matter if the item was $19.99 and the postage was a penny? It's still the same amount of money out of their pocket!! IMBECILES!!!

Anthony
PS Shop around on eBay as sometimes these signs come in several sizes from a couple of sellers, and tend to be about the same price.

asynchronousman said:
Sending cash to a foreign seller is a terrible proposition. Paypal, while I DON'T care for it, at least has some basic guarantees and protections if I am wronged. Try getting your money back from HK or UK (they could be on MARS, you don't have to put SHIT about where you really are, just like I don't)!

Hong Kong is part and parcel of the People's Republic of China, and was made so by the 1997 treaty handover by Great Britain. The Chinese are currently fairly concerned about stopping counterfeit goods trafficking and other issues of international, intellectual and business property violations. Any business or trademark owner who feels his trademark is being infringed will take eBay to court and then ask the Chinese government for sanctioning and redress. Just WHERE did this guy come up with all these signs? Are they made in HK or did he stash his collections in HK? And why are the transactions apparently being handled from HK if he says he is in the UK? Would you like to ask him?

Do ask more than enough Qs it you do fancy one of those signs. Caveats are due here.

Sincerely,

Steven

Thanks for the clarification Steven. I now understand the reasoning behind your concerns. And there certainly seems to be a lot of thought involved in voicing them. Everyone has a different level of "paranoia" regarding such concerns. I spent a little more time surfing Ebay for more sellers of these signs in the last couple of hours, finding one with over 1600 positive feedbacks and no negatives. That is the one I will probably purchase from. China's concern over counterfeit goods trafficking is probably as much about fearing their citizens might make some REAL money as anything else.
I myself would prefer not to send cash, so will use the Paypal option. Maybe these folks ARE pulling some kind of fast one on their government, and Paypal or cash makes it easier, as opposed to a money order or personal check. Doesn't matter to me, as long as I'M not the one they're scamming. In any event, $25-$40 isn't going to make me or break me, so I'll probably take the chance (and a very slim chance, in my estimation). :D

Jeff

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom