Never had a DAC before....please help with two questions.

After reading through the original post in the other thread, it appears that unless the head unit has a digital output that could feed an external DAC, you're doing all you can do right now.

You do mention adding a flac player via the aux input; if you use a standard 1/8" stereo plug for this then that is an analog signal. You could potentially add a DAC in this chain but you would have to have digital output (USB?) from the player, and you have a USB input to the head unit; this would be redundant unless you just wanted to play with some standalone DACs.

After reading through the original post in the other thread, it appears that unless the head unit has a digital output that could feed an external DAC, you're doing all you can do right now.

You do mention adding a flac player via the aux input; if you use a standard 1/8" stereo plug for this then that is an analog signal. You could potentially add a DAC in this chain but you would have to have digital output (USB?) from the player, and you have a USB input to the head unit; this would be redundant unless you just wanted to play with some standalone DACs.

I can see now how it would be redundant.

It can be confusing at first, we are here to help each other:beerchug:

Thank you. Ya know I feel pretty accomplished at building active speakers and playing in the analog world, but now that I'm switching to digital I'm starting to feel my age.....I mean it's new to me.

I can see now how it would be redundant.
Here's the thing, most digital players..ie cd, dvd, your head unit, ipod, laptop..etc, will have a built in DAC. Now if any of those units I just noted have a digital out. You could get improved performance from a seperate DAC, the built in will do the job, but a seperate may have a better digital converting chip, and a better analog output section.

Thank you. Ya know I feel pretty accomplished at building active speakers and playing in the analog world, but now that I'm switching to digital I'm starting to feel my age.....I mean it's new to me.
It was all new to me about 4 years ago..it's a lot to take in, but once you understand it's easy:beerchug:

Shout Rob41...

The output from your butcher block head unit is analogue...L/R RCA jacks.

The output from any of these home stereo DACS is the same, analogue...L/R RCA jacks.

All you need is a source selector switcher down-stream from the head unit. Plug the DAC in there. Your volume control, etc, would come from a computer key board or your DSP.

I wanted to connect the DAC between my preamp outputs (RCA) and my amplifier inputs (RCA). I'm getting the impression this is not how it's done. Would this not work?
In a perfect setting, you run your preamp AFTER your DAC. There's no real reason to put it higher in the chain, and many reasons to put it lower.

Back
Top Bottom