New 1970s style stereo system - I'm impressed!

That slider is actually a five position switch. If you count all the other switches and knobs you have a 1:1 ratio of switches/knobs to buttons.:D

The 15VDC wall wart is a turn-off for me.
Only for aesthetic/nostalgic reasons. Modern Class D or Class T amplifiers are very efficient. For example, Lepai amplifiers run on a 12-volt, 3-amp wall wart and put out 20 watts RMS per channel.

Lepai_Tripath_TA2020A_35190789_01.jpg

Only for aesthetic/nostalgic reasons. Modern Class D or Class T amplifiers are very efficient. For example, Lepai amplifiers run on a 12-volt, 3-amp wall wart and put out 20 watts RMS per channel.

Yep, those Lepais are about as ugly as you can get aren't they? They resemble a cheap car amplifier designed to be screwed down under the driver's seat with that classy mounting flange.

The Crosley posted by the OP is probably one the best efforts in terms of looks so far from that outfit. We all know it's not HiFi, it's just a modern (with BT, a CD player and blue LEDs) version of the horrible 3-1 ones from the 60s and 70s.

Bear in mind, there is a functional CD player in there, likely 5 or 6 watts a channel of Class D amplification and it'll probably perform better than many of those 60s and 70s horrors we all love to heap sh#t on.

A brand new product from our friends at Crosley, the 1975T (appropriately named) stereo system:

http://a.co/d/iZMgeUl

81F28PiyYRL._SL1500_.jpg

I think the styling is a winner, especially with that large analog AM/FM tuning dial. The turntable obviously won't please the audiophiles, but it does have the trusty AT3600L magnetic cartridge and a counterweighted tonearm. There's also a built-in CD player, bass and treble controls, an aux input, RCA line output jacks, and of course Bluetooth.

Of all the "retro-style" stereo systems I've seen, it comes the closest to something that could actually be mistaken for a vintage system until you get up close.

It is a "tidy" package, eh?

I'd very much like to hear one.

Buy a Lepai 2020A ($30) and experiment like many of us have. The one I used to experiment with resides in my brother's AV system driving a pair of speakers from an old Sony rack mount system. It sounds way better then the Sony and and is less than half the size.

The included power supply (2A?) is completely inadequate. I bought a 6A LCD power supply ($10) and it made a big difference

Buy a Lepai 2020A ($30) and experiment like many of us have. The one I used to experiment with resides in my brother's AV system driving a pair of speakers from an old Sony rack mount system. It sounds way better then the Sony and and is less than half the size.
The included power supply (2A?) is completely inadequate. I bought a 6A LCD power supply ($10) and it made a big difference

Power output is voltage dependent.
Can handle 24+V, but quite good at 19V 6A.
A laptop brick is just fine.

No. It's for stacking 45s.

We used to use a cylinder that went over the spindle, or if you did not have that, little plastic inserts that went in the hole of the 45 disc. The plastic insert was usually yellow. It looked a little bit like the throwing stars in Kung Fu movies. :) I never saw anything like what is in that picture.

It should be fine for a small room, study etc. My taste and background in hi-fi components and turntables would prevent me from buying one, however. The Crosley sets are good for novices just entering the hi fi hobby, but they pale in comparison to even modest quality components. The sets do not have enough sound power, definition and quality to satisfy my music tastes, nor are durable enough to sustain constant use and last for many years.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom