New 2245 score

Layoutpad

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Purchased this gem from AK'er welcomdmat a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share
how amazed I am with the sound.
Owned and listened to a lot of Marantz gear, (2230, 2240, 2250, 2250b, 2270, 2285b, 2325, 4230,
4240, 4270, 4300 & a 250 / 3300 pairing )
The 250/3300 are my favorites (paired with Krites modded Klipsch Chorus II's.)

But this "little" receiver (paired with re-capped new Large Advents in my office)
is absolutely blowing me away and my new second favorite Marantz!
There's a sweetness, detail, & depth to the tonality, with a nice punch to the bass.

As far as I can tell it is all original (except for new lamps) which is even more astounding,
considering the electrolytics are 44 years old.

She's definitely living on borrowed time (a full re-cap is planned in the future). But for now
just enjoying the heck out of this new addition.

IMG_0385.JPG

Very nice looking 2245. They are the sweet spot in that series and share a lot of parts with its bigger cousin the 2270.

Great office system, how do you get any work done? :beatnik:

That's a beauty! The 2245 has long been my favorite of the 22xx lineup. I have one driving a pair of AR2ax speakers and they sound like they were made for each other. I do wish I had held on to my AR5's though, I'll bet that pairing would have been even better!

Very nice looking 2245. They are the sweet spot in that series and share a lot of parts with its bigger cousin the 2270.

Great office system, how do you get any work done? :beatnik:
I do retouching and photocompositing for a living. Besides having a good color-corrected monitor, the tunes are the second most important thing.:music:

Last edited:
I bought a 2245 new in 1972 when my 2230 was stolen. It was simply a fantastic receiver, and probably still my favorite 22xx. I was only into listening in those days - not collecting or working on them. By the early 90’s, my listening was down to nearly zero and everything was beginning to go Home Theatre. I sold the 2245 and 5020 Cassette deck with wood cases for $100 in a garage sale. You can imagine I’m still beating myself up over that move, although I have replaced both units. Mine were marked with my drivers license number engraved on the back after the 2230 was stolen. In fact, the 2245 was stolen four months later (cops said successful robbers frequently hit again because they know they will get new stuff), and found in a ditch a couple of days later. Someone walked up on the thieves and I think they were scared of the unit because of the ID engraving. Sheriff’s department chased me down through the ID, and I got the unit back with barely a scratch. Kept it for twenty years before letting it go. Wish I could come across that unit.

i got my 2245 over 40 years ago, it was my first receiver and its still going strong and still my favorite. i LOVE my 2245 and have said many times on here you will need to pry it from my cold dead hands. ive been pairing with my Tannoy Cheviots lately and it sounds sweet. Nice score :thumbsup:

I have a 2245, all original, and a recapped 2230. Both sound great, but I definitely prefer the 2245. It has more power, a better tuner IMO, and the speaker relay which is sadly missing in the 2230.

I'm in no rush to recap the 2245 even though its due. I did a full recap on the 2230 (> $100 in parts alone) and it didn't really reveal a difference in sound.

I have a 2245, all original, and a recapped 2230. Both sound great, but I definitely prefer the 2245. It has more power, a better tuner IMO, and the speaker relay which is sadly missing in the 2230.

I'm in no rush to recap the 2245 even though its due. I did a full recap on the 2230 (> $100 in parts alone) and it didn't really reveal a difference in sound.

:beerchug:I'm in agreement with you on the 2230. Had one that was completely restored by CD Kands. Full description here: http://www.cdkands.com/marantz2230/Mntz2230_1.html
Although I wanted to love it, the sound always seemed a bit lethargic, and thin. Perhaps it was that individual 2230, but never made the A-list.

As far as the re-cap in the 2245 goes, it's not so much a sound issue (unless you count a loud, startling POP! BANG! in the speakers when a component fails midstream during a crescendo or drum solo.)
Also there's the always dreaded billow of smoke when you hit the power switch.
Been to both of those rodeos, (and a few others) one too many times...:wtf:

Last edited:
I just finished recapping the power supply, phono, tone, and amp boards on my 2245. I used film capacitors for 3.3uf and the 1uf caps. I also changed out the transistors on the phono and tone control board. I found the mids to be a little more "detailed" after that, as well as the phono had much less hiss when selected and turned up with no record playing.

Back
Top Bottom