New A-S801 vs older A-S1000 - sound quality difference?

drabina

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Does anybody know if there is a big difference in sound quality between the new A-S801 and the older A-S1000 integrated? I know that the new one has digital input (coax, toslink) but I am curious as to the sound quality between the top of the consumer line A-S801 and the A-S1000 model.

The A-S1000 isn't terribly old but would say the 1000 would sound more refined. It is a higher quality build and higher quality components, but they would be close and would share a sonic signature. It would come down to the features you want. Many that would choose the 1000 typically have seperate digital gear to connect.

Thanks for replying. I am leaning toward the A-S801 because of the availability of silver color and those added digital inputs. I have mostly analog system but they may come handy in the future.

If it has a digital input, it has an integrated DAC, which is throwing in a whole additional component into the box. I looked and it has an integrated Sabre Based Delta-Sigma DAC.

The A-S1000 with a good external DAC would likely sound better. I prefer ladder based DACs - not delta-sigma based DACs,

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I am leaning toward the A-S801 because of the availability of silver color and those added digital inputs. I have mostly analog system but they may come handy in the future.
The a-s1000 is also available in silver, and if you are already mostly analog then...

If it has a digital input, it has an integrated DAC, which is throwing in a whole additional component into the box. I looked and it has an integrated Sabre Based Delta-Sigma DAC.

The A-S1000 with a good external DAC would likely sound better. I prefer ladder based DACs - not delta-sigma based DACs,
...I'd go with the a-s1000. They will be close price wise and even closer for a used 1000:idea:.

Back
Top Bottom