New additions: Yamaha CR-66II and Superscope R-1220

jb8350i

Bassist From Hell
16753_186735695255_614835255_281826.jpg

16753_186742490255_614835255_281828.jpg

Too bad all the lamps are out and the balance control is broken off, Would it be worth it to find a replacement slider? Also, all the pot's shafts are bent, just enough to feel it. Anybody have any idea for bending them back? After cleaning it sounds pretty good, and the tuner works well. I like it.

16753_186735700255_614835255_281826.jpg

This one was mangled. I bought it from a guy who said it works fine, just been in storage for like 5 years. With the tuner section, the string that operates it kept getting tangled. I pulled it apart and found that all the warranty (?) paint had been broken - everywhere. I was able to get it to work good enough with some garbage ties and a couple chunks of solder tensioning and aligning the string. Since that was all messed up I just pulled out the burnt out face lamps and replaced them with red LEDs 'cuz thats what I happend to have. I think it looks pretty good. I think I need to add a couple more to light the rest of the tuner dial though.

Any info on either of these would be appreciated. I kinda sorta googled them and didn't come up with too much.

I figure it's not too bad of a haul - the superscope was $20, and the yamaha came in a box of stuff, including some nice JBL 6x9's a computer printer and keyboard and a old school VCR for $20 as well. So, about $30 Canadian for the both, good enough for me....

Last edited:
Both handsome receivers. I've always liked the black Super's, and I believe that they are pretty rare as well.

Sometimes on vintage audio acquisitions I'll find the shaft's two "splits" are pinched together, or both sides of the split are slightly bent the same direction. Either way, the knob won't stay on well.

I've found that the best remedy for this is to use a small screwdriver inserted into the shaft "split" at the bottom (nearest the faceplate) and gently but firmly turning the blade, putting pressure on the outer edge (furthest from the faceplate) of the blade against the side you want to move outward. This method gives you good control without any real danger of breaking off either side of the split.

Grabbing the shaft with pliers and bending is a good way to break off the shaft.

Look like the Canadian version of the CR-620, probably the same internals.

I rather think it is the black version of the CR-420, because the CR-620 has dual meter on the left side of the dial, and two filter switches (high and low) between the record and input selectors.

The user manual and the schematic for the CR-420 are on the Yamaha database.

Both handsome receivers. I've always liked the black Super's, and I believe that they are pretty rare as well.

So I guess it would be worth replacing the balance slider then, eh? Are the all the same in the Marantz units? Anybody know where I could track down a slider and the knob?

As for the other knobs being bent, I don't think it's the tabs, they look pretty good. I guess its not that big of a deal anyway, it's only the bass and treble knobs that are noticeable.

I rather think it is the black version of the CR-420, database.

Yeah, I think you're right. From the owner's manual the back panel looks the same too.

that yamaha is beautifull. id shit myself when getting that deal!
definetly a score.. even if you do have to do alittle tlc..
getting those units each for less than it costs to rotate your tires :thmbsp:

Rob is correct, Canadian version of the CR-420

I believe the CR-66 is the CDN version of the CR-450

CR450.jpg

I shoulda grabbed that 66 from Special when I had the chance. :grumpy:

that yamaha is beautifull. id shit myself when getting that deal!
definetly a score.. even if you do have to do alittle tlc..
getting those units each for less than it costs to rotate your tires :thmbsp:

You say that but you got an M-4 and C-4 for free in an alley...

Here's a CR-66 I had for a while.

cr66b.jpg

Then there were two versions, the CR-66 and the CR-66 II. Now the one you had Jeff is a CR-600you can tell by the long dial pointer and long vent grill at the rear.

The other CR-66 II is as ecluser noted not a variant of the CR-620 since there is only a single meter.

You say that but you got an M-4 and C-4 for free in an alley...

its makes it even better in my case. i have an m-4 and c-4 to go with it! :D

to be honest i didnt know what i was looking at when i found them both.
i knew they were amps.. the weight and cosmetics gave alittle clue.
however i didnt know if they worked or not.. :thmbsp:

:edit (also i have a yamaha CDX-530 cd player i got for free reciently also) :)

The CR-66 is close to the CR-600, but not exactly similar. The CR-600 has a mic control, at the right of the phone plugs, and 5 togle switches for High Filter, Low Filter, Mode (stereo/mono), Tape A and Tape B.

The CR-66 has exactly the same controls as the CR-450

The CR-66II is not a canadian version of the CR-420 (we too have CR-420, 620 and the likes), but seems to be a black version of the CR-420. Why a completely different number ???

Schematics from the owner's manual (it finally dawned on me to take a look at the one that came with it...)

100_2312.jpg

100_2313.jpg

And while looking at the 420's schematics I obviously noticed this extra wing...

Screenshot-1.jpg

Maybe thats the difference, the 66II didn't even have an option for the 240...?

That's the only difference my inexperienced eyes can spot

Last edited:
My schematic (a canadian CR-420) doesn't have the 240V option neither. The same transformer (GA 6117) as yours, and the schematic is at the same page 17, and the same misprint "high filtor" on page 16...

My schematic (a canadian CR-420) doesn't have the 240V option neither. The same transformer (GA 6117) as yours, and the schematic is at the same page 17, and the same misprint "high filtor" on page 16...

hmmm.... then I guess the only difference is the black face

Specialidiot,

Do you have the schematic for your CR-66?

I ask this because the schematic for the CR-450 seems impossible to find and they seem so similar.

Reviving this thread ........

So What is the definitive consensus of which model the CR-66 is? I'll be picking one up today for 50 bucks and Id like to get the proper SM for it.

Athanasios

Back
Top Bottom