New amp arrived -- gut shot inside

BeerCan

Tá mé ar meisce.
Got my new amp today, unfortunately I am still waiting for my pre-amp so I cannot listen to it.

I included a gut shot to see if people want to guess what it is. I know some people like to do that. If you are 100% sure don't take away the fun from others.

I will post listening impressions after the whole system is together. This will go with the unnamed pre and the KEF ls50's

R0001844.JPG

What amp is this? It looks to have some really good caps in it. I used those Aura Caps in my Dynaco's when I was rebuilding ST-70's and and Mark IV's.

New preamp has still not arrived :mad:. My impatience got the best of me so I hooked up my Mapletree audio pre to the amp and fired it up. So far I am liking it very much very nice sound especially with vocals. I am not an audio reviewer so I cannot give the flowery descriptions but this amp is near the top of my recent favorites. I am using a Japanese made Ratheon 6sn7 and the 6bg6ga "super tube" as the power tubes and a Sovtek 5ar4 rectifier.

My biggest fear was the amp not being able to "handle" the KEF LS50 speakers. Well that appears to be a non issue at my listening levels. I don't have any perceived dynamics issues and PT temps have stayed 140 or below. When I was using the 5u4 rectifier temps were a little higher but still not to bad.

R0001859.JPG

Last edited:
Finally got the tracking number for my pre amp. FedEx says it is on vehicle for delivery but has estimated date of Monday. So I may or may not get it today. Either way I am happy it is inbound :)

Wellll... IMO the 'Guts shot' shows a fairly mediocre and arguably 'not very good' build.
Parts placements and wiring layout/dress is mediocre.. at best.
Hope it works well. Cuz it really doesn't have the look of a well designed/executed build.
Sorry... But IMO absolutely true. Ever seen a Fender? 'nuff said.

Wellll... IMO the 'Guts shot' shows a fairly mediocre and arguably 'not very good' build.
Hope it works well. Cuz it really doesn't have the look of a well designed/executed build.

I think the photo make the wire look "tangly" LOL Ireggardless it still sounds great so :music::dunno:

Nice way to crap in another thread bare. You really like to do this and from my perspective it's getting old. You must be a very unhappy person. Sad.

It looks great to me Beer. Dennis Had, as you know has a great reputation. I'm sure you will enjoy your new amp.

cubdog

Can't we be a little more diplomatic? I thought all the kinds got a trophy in this league.

Nice way to crap in another thread bare. You really like to do this and from my perspective it's getting old. You must be a very unhappy person. Sad.

It looks great to me Beer. Dennis Had, as you know has a great reputation. I'm sure you will enjoy your new amp.

cubdog

Yea' not too impressed with that comment bud.....tsk*

IMHO it looks like a very nice amp, I think the point to point looks fairly clean considering the chassis, which is a looker btw, with some quality components in place.

Nice :thmbsp:
Hope your pre-shows show

Can't we be a little more diplomatic? I thought all the kinds got a trophy in this league.

+1.

Not cool.

Looks like a fine amp to me. Bet it sounds good too.

I have a similar Dennis Had built amp. The guy built and founded Cary Audio, so I guess he may know a thing or two about building amplifiers. Mine was built with the following:

* Fully regulated low impedance tube screen grid B+ power supply
* Fully regulated low impedance input tube driver, 6922, B+ power supply
* Large oil filed regulated power supply section filter cap
* Filter choke Pi-Network power supply
* Precision non-inductive metal film 3 watt resistors
* Paper and oil filed, epoxy encapsulated, coupling and by-pass capacitors
* Gold plated copper output speaker posts
* EE Teflon silver stranded 19 strand hook up wiring
* Pure 99.9% Silver Teflon Insulated internal coax interconnect
* Custom design 15 watt SE air gapped output transformers with separate feed-back winding, left and right channel matched pair
* 200 % duty cycle CCS power transformer designed for 120/240 VAC 50/60 Hz primary
* .080 (12 ga) aluminum chassis and matching bottom plate with large soft rubber shock mount feet
* 5 watts per channel output with 6V6 output tubes and 5Y3 rectifier tube
* 7 watts per channel with 6L6, KT66, 5881 output tubes and 5U4 rectifier tube
* 10 watts output with KT88, EL34, 6550, KT99, and KT120 output tubes with 5U4, 274B rectifier tube
* 12 watts output with KT-120 output tubes and 5AR4 rectifier tube
******** 10 watts output into 2 ohm loads with KT88 or KT120 output tube with 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier ********* This is a serious SE amplifier!!
* Duty cycle of the amplifier is 24/7 in full operate conditions

Easy to pick it apart until you get a chance to listen to it. It is a fantastic amp that surprised me the first time I heard it.

MWalt
Very similar to the specs on the one he sold me except mine uses a 6sn7/6sl7 driver tube

* Fully regulated low impedance KT-66 output tube screen grid B+ power supply
* Fully regulated low impedance input tube driver, 6SN7 dual triode B+ plate power supply
* Large oil filed regulated power supply section filter cap
* Filter choke Pi-Network power supply
* Precision non-inductive metal film 3 watt resistors
* Paper and oil filed, epoxy encapsulated, coupling and by-pass capacitors
* Gold plated copper output speaker posts
* Gold plated input RCA jacks
* EE Teflon silver stranded 19 strand hook up wiring
* Custom design 15 watt SE air gapped output transformers left and right channel matched pair
* 200 % duty cycle CCS power transformer designed for 120/240 VAC 50/60 Hz primary
* .080 (12 ga) aluminum chassis and matching bottom plate with large soft rubber shock mount feet
* 10 watts output with the KT-66 output tubes 12 watts output with the KT-88 output tubes
******** 8 watts output into 2 ohm loads with KT-66 10 watts into 2 ohms with KT-88 ********* This is a serious SE amplifier!!
* Duty cycle of the amplifier is 24/7 in full operate conditions

Okay, I'll bite...what is it about the Fender that's indicative of a better layout/design? I looked at a lot of pics online and can't pinpoint anything that stands out to me as being a better execution, but I don't build amps so I'm far from an expert.

Okay, I'll bite...what is it about the Fender that's indicative of a better layout/design? I looked at a lot of pics online and can't pinpoint anything that stands out to me as being a better execution, but I don't build amps so I'm far from an expert.

seikosha, personally I don't think it is worth the time to worry about this. We have a similar type of thing on a bike forum I used to frequent. Every time someone posted a shot of a new bike someone chimes in with "looks flexy" Meaning of course that you can't judge the stiffness/ride of a bike with pictures. It became the running joke. Some bike people are as picky as audio people so I think it fits :)

Same thing here, amp looks "tangly" but sounds great. BTW just for fun I looked at my friends Fender amp to see if I could get a clue :D:scratch2:

Lovely looking amp built by one of the best tube builders!!! Looks like a winner to me, well done!!!

Back
Top Bottom