New Audio Room

I have all the panels built. Now I'm needing some type of material for the 703 covers. Brown, black or tan preferred. The 703 will be nested inside the frames. What is the best way to go about this? I can put ridge caps across the front with the material between the frame and cap. Wrapping the 703 and sticking it in the frames with burlap doesn't look or work very well. Ideas?
Commercial panels use sheet of plywood on back side, stuffed absorber inside frame, covered with fabric which is stapled to the plywood on the back. That looks nice enough if hang right on the wall.

They are done! :thmbsp: I wanted the wood frame exposed but, it didn't turn out that way. Looks like a lot of panels for a small room. I'm going to just set them up on the wall first and try them out. Still have to make stands for the first reflection panels.

picture.php

They are done! :thmbsp: I wanted the wood frame exposed but, it didn't turn out that way. Looks like a lot of panels for a small room. I'm going to just set them up on the wall first and try them out. Still have to make stands for the first reflection panels.

picture.php
There is no "a lot" of panels in small room. Big room always need less. Good luck with finding right locations.

I've got the panels temporarily setup on the walls. Two doubles behind speakers, singles at first reflection, doubles on back wall. All I can really say is that I've bought and sold a lot of good equipment for no reason. :yes: I've been listening to many different types of music using SS and Tube amps for the last two hours. It's amazing! :thmbsp:

Building this room and treatments, is the best thing I've done for listening yet. Can't believe how much difference it makes. I still need to work out the correct placement of the panels and hang the ceiling panels. Needless to say, I'm stunned. :music:

^^^
I hope all this is worth the effort. My system is about as good as it gets, (at least for me). I use tubes and fullrange single drivers at low volume. If the controlled reflections make a big difference I'm in for a treat!

^^^

I'm just gonna have to bite my tongue about that last statement....just gonna let it happen and smile for ya. :yes:

Well, now I suppose you have some kind of an idea why I am the way I am over this acoustics mumbo jumbo. :D

You either get it or you don't...and once you've done it, ya' get it. :yes:

Last edited:
And as far as having the wood frames exposed...you can still do that. Just staple the fabric down on the edge of the frame that is facing the front. Make sure the staples are hammered down good and flat, even to the point of imbedding them in the lumber a little. Then cut the fabric just beyond the staple line but making sure none goes beyond the outer dimension of the frame. Then trim the face of the frame with quarter round (yep, right over the staples) and it looks nice and neat. Here's a quickie job I did that illustrates what I'm talking about (never mind the trim down the middle..that's there to cover up a seam because I didn't have a big enough piece of material to cover the entire face with one piece....that whole panel was pretty much done with scrap everything...including the absorption media...and I still need to put a finish on it).

Attachments

• paneltrim.jpg
    paneltrim.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 22
Well, now I suppose you have some kind of an idea why I am the way I am over this acoustics mumbo jumbo. :D

You either get it or you don't...and once you've done it, ya' get it. :yes:

You can bet I believe it! :music: Thanks for the help! :thmbsp:

And as far as having the wood frames exposed...you can still do that. Just staple the fabric down on the edge of the frame that is facing the front. Make sure the staples are hammered down good and flat, even to the point of imbedding them in the lumber a little. Then cut the fabric just beyond the staple line but making sure none goes beyond the outer dimension of the frame. Then trim the face of the frame with quarter round (yep, right over the staples) and it looks nice and neat. Here's a quickie job I did that illustrates what I'm talking about (never mind the trim down the middle..that's there to cover up a seam because I didn't have a big enough piece of material to cover the entire face with one piece....that whole panel was pretty much done with scrap everything...including the absorption media...and I still need to put a finish on it).

I thought about doing them that way. I'm not going to change them now. Gotta listen to what I been missin. :D

Today I'm wanting to setup the panels. I've checked out the stickies. Being this is a small room,(9.8x12) listening is near field. The speakers require a lot of toe in to intersect right it front of the listening spot. They also have to be close to the side and rear wall. I can use the mirror to setup first reflection points but how do I find the front and rear points? I tried the golden ratio but, the room is just to small for it to work or I'm not doing it right. :) Help or links?

Front wall is not critical in terms of early reflection. Locate those to get the best bass response. Your panels won't absorb the really low, first octave stuff (that requires a proper bass trap), but they will help make mid and upper bass more articulate and robust. With your room dimensions I'd speculate that closer to the corners will yield the best results. On the rear wall you can basically locate them so that if you turn around and look over each shoulder there's a panel almost directly behind you.... Which would yield about one foot of space between them. Place them on chairs and start with them close together and move them outboard about six inches at a time to find the spot that sounds best to you.

Are your front and rear wall panels 2" or 4" thick?

The front and rear panels are 4" thick. The speakers and front panels are very near the corners.

Last edited:
You'll want the rear wall panels more directly behind you because you are getting an early reflection from there. And it's a bad one. Gotta kill it.

I'll setup the side and front. Then I'll try the chair method for the rears until I get it right. Should the ceiling panels align half way between the listening spot and speakers? Also on line with the triangle shape?

Can you hook a laptop to your rig? If so, go here and play around with the tests after you get the panels located where you like the results.

audiocheck.net

Last edited:
In my room, which is a little bigger, but not much, I spread three panels on each front and back walls, added two panels right behind speakers (all 24x48"). Then you can add two more panels at reflection points on the left and right walls. For the ceiling, I found that corner absorbers work the best.

Amount of speakers toe in should be choosen by listening. In my case speakes point 2 feet to the left and right from listening position. It was best compromise between sound field depth and correct timbre. This youy wil need to adjust after all panels are in place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom