New Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 cans

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by c.coyle, Jan 11, 2019.

1. c.coyle

c.coyle Fighting the Dunning-Kruger effect. Subscriber

New Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 cans. I'm listening more and more in my living room, with others present, so closed back is a must. We'll see how they stack up against my venerable Sony MDR-V6s with Beyer velour pads. My current easy chair setup is flacs and mp3s on a laptop, into a Schiit Fulla dac/amp, into headphones.

The consensus on the Sony MDR-V6 is subdued but tight bass, a notch in the mids, and some emphasis in the highs, and that's how I have always heard them.

Some early reactions:

- Comfortable even after an hour, but a noticeably tighter clamp than the Sonys

- They are not foldable like the Sonys, which will still be my travelling cans

- A little more bass than the Sonys, but tight

- Noticeably richer mids than the Sonys

- Highs are more relaxed than the Sonys, which sound brighter in comparison. The sibilance that I have always heard on the Sonys with a few very familar recordings is significantly reduced. I have always attributed this to the recording, but now I'm not so sure.

- Vocals a little less up front than the Sonys

- I think the sound stage is a little more expansive than the Sonys,

- Overall, a little more relaxed and warm sound than the Sonys

- Construction is solid and substantial. I've seen a few complaints about plastic and flimsiness, but I don't see a lot of plastic parts

New Cans.JPG

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

Please register to disable this ad.

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Super Member

I bought a pair of MSR7GM's last year to use at work. I really like these cans, but after using them for a while, wish I'd bought the noise canceling version. Just because it can be a little noisy in the office.

jeff