New AVA Vision Adjustable phono preamp

avahifi

AK Member
Yes indeed this little $499 phono preamp will give you great results with any phono cartridge.

It can be set for MM or MC and in the MC mode the gain can be changed up or down from 54 dB to 60 db to 66 dB. Also the input load can be changed from 30 ohms to 1K ohms with many steps in between.

Split passive EQ, no capacitors in the direct signal path (sorry about that capacitor rollers out there), external very quiet 120V AC to 16V AC step down power transformer (no linear power supply noise), all 1% quiet metal film resistors, and more. Explosively dynamic due in part to LME49600 current buffer output stage with .00003% THD and 2000V/uS slew rate.

Reviews coming soon in The Absolute Sound and Tone Audio.

Thirty day satisfaction guarantee and 3 year parts and labor warranty. Call us at 651-330-9871 for more info.

By the way, it can be built into any new AVA preamplifier for $329 because extra case and power supply are not needed for this application.

Frank Van Alstine

Last edited:
I was checking this very product out on your webpage. I purchased a LOMC from a member and had a modded out loaner Cambridge and time went by quickly and I returned the amp and now need one as the table is waiting patiently. Thanks for taking the time to point the features out for me.

Plus it looks good!

phono%20right%20front.png

back%20open.png

Yes indeed this little $499 phono preamp will give you great results with any phono cartridge.

It can be set for MM or MC and in the MC mode the gain can be changed up or down from 54 dB to 60 db to 66 dB. Also the input load can be changed from 30 ohms to 1K ohms with many steps in between.

Split passive EQ, no capacitors in the direct signal path (sorry about that capacitor rollers out there), external very quiet 120V AC to 16V AC step down power transformer (no linear power supply noise), all 1% quiet metal film resistors, and more. Explosively dynamic due in part to LME49600 current buffer output stage with .00003% THD and 2000V/uS slew rate.

Reviews coming soon in The Absolute Sound and Tone Audio.

Thirty day satisfaction guarantee and 3 year parts and labor warranty. Call us at 651-330-9871 for more info.

By the way, it can be built into any new AVA preamplifier for $329 because extra case and power supply are not needed for this application.

Frank Van Alstine
Does the Vision have a wall wart or a conventional 3 prong power cord?

Regards,Tom

Hi Tomcentral,

The vision does have a wall wart not a 3 prong power cord. Here is a picture.
a1434.jpg

It is a Triade WAU16-400

Mary

I have two of these in my Fet Valve CF and it is quite a fantastic phono stage. For $500 you can't come close to touching it with anything else out there. And then throw in the fact you can contact Frank any time for help and assistance after the sale. No brainer.

Does anyone know the proper settings on the Vision for a Denon DL-110 HOMC. Thought I would check first before I started messing with the switches.

The Denon DL-110 is designed to be used without a step-up device and into an industry standard 47,000 ohms. However its rated output (1.7mV) is on the very low side for a MM cartridge which normally will be in the 3 - 5 mV range.

Thus, because of its rather low output, you probably will need to run the volume control of your preamp up substantially then with a more normal output MM cartridge.

With the AVA Vision phono preamp, start with all of the dip switches set in the OFF position. If this does not give you enough volume, you can try using the low gain MC settings (switches 1 and 2 and 3 ON for both channels). This will provide an additional 14 dB of gain but may cause the phono preamp to overload on loud passages.

If all else fails we can make a custom modification to your Vision phono preamp to set the gain in the "sweet spot" for your cartridge, but it will require returning the Vision phono preamp to us to make resistor value changes in the switch network. This will cost about $100 including return shipping to make these custom modifications.

We have tried to make the Vision phono preamp compatible with all phono cartridges but this model Denon seems to have "rogue" specifications. :)

We assume you have found the Vision phono preamp setup instructions which are affixed on the inside of the cover of the phono preamp itself. For those built into an AVA preamp, the setup instructions are included with the user guide. If you have misplaced these, email us at frank@avahifi.com and I will send you a new .pdf copy.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Back
Top Bottom