New B2 for complete rebuild.

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by belgianbrain, Oct 6, 2017.

  1. belgianbrain

    belgianbrain Super Member

    Messages:
    1,206
    Location:
    Greater Toronto Area, Canada
    Settled on Vampire BP-HEX (about $15 each with current sale) for the binding posts and CMC for the RCA jacks ($6.50 each).
     
  2. bmanone

    bmanone Active Member

    Messages:
    103
    Location:
    Calico Rock, Arkansas
    belgianbrain,
    How's the project coming along? By the way I use the Schiit Bifrost Multibit and Schiit Freya. Currently using them with a repaired and recapped P2200 I picked up off Ebay a month or so ago. Sounds really great to me.
     
  3. belgianbrain

    belgianbrain Super Member

    Messages:
    1,206
    Location:
    Greater Toronto Area, Canada
    The project goes slowly. I've been working on the rear panel lately, which is very time consuming. I think I'm done now. New IEC power connector, new binding posts, and new RCA jacks for the input. Used a solid brass plate to mount the brass binding posts.

    IMG_20171212_201316.jpg
    IMG_20171212_201450.jpg IMG_20171212_201306.jpg
     
    nyhifihead likes this.
  4. rottalpha

    rottalpha Yamaholic Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,457
    Location:
    Middle of Crook County
    nice work. I thought that the speaker posts were separated from the chassis on this amp? Am I wrong?
     
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  5. Mr. Yamaha

    Mr. Yamaha Not so much Yamaha lately... Subscriber

    Messages:
    702
    Location:
    Amsterdam Area, The Netherlands
    Ouch, it looks like there was some chassis cutting involved :eek:
     
  6. belgianbrain

    belgianbrain Super Member

    Messages:
    1,206
    Location:
    Greater Toronto Area, Canada
    Yep. It's the rear panel, so I figure why not go all-in and do it right. :biggrin:
     
  7. Bert 1100

    Bert 1100 Super Member

    Messages:
    1,150
    Location:
    Planquiri, Switzerland
    I completely agree ! Great work !
     
  8. belgianbrain

    belgianbrain Super Member

    Messages:
    1,206
    Location:
    Greater Toronto Area, Canada
    Thought I would make major progress on this over the holidays. :rflmao:

    Finally got back to it this weekend and did the two power transistor boards and sinks. Cleaned everything. Replaced the 0.22 Ohm resistors in the signal path with Mundorf MResist Supreme. Changed the 50nF green cap with Panasonic polyproylene.

    In this B2, I have the unpainted heat sinks that use mica insulators, so I replaced the insulators and heat sink grease with Aavid Thermalloy Thermasil insulators (Mfg. P/N 53-03-2G).

    20180114_121658.jpg 20180114_121706.jpg 20180114_121740.jpg 20180114_121758.jpg
     
  9. belgianbrain

    belgianbrain Super Member

    Messages:
    1,206
    Location:
    Greater Toronto Area, Canada
    I fired the power supply board up yesterday to adjust the +/- 85v supply. The driver boards and power VFET boards are currently disconnected.

    CLICK. BOOYEAH.
     
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    zaibatsu likes this.
  10. Vint Age

    Vint Age B-1 With Yamaha

    Messages:
    2,170
    05 The VFETs 01.jpg

    :thumbsup:
     
  11. belgianbrain

    belgianbrain Super Member

    Messages:
    1,206
    Location:
    Greater Toronto Area, Canada
    The rear 3/4 of this amp is done! On to the driver boards and then the meter boards.
     

Share This Page