New beater ride

philo426

Since the beast recently died,I was in need of a ride to take me to work.Since it is only 5 miles down the road it did not have to be great.A friend wanted to getvtid of this 99 Caravan with a Chrysler front end.The price was well under 1K so I went for it.Runs fairly well with 162K on the clock and most everything still wotks.It has a cassette player and just for gun I picked up a copy of Bryan ADAMS Reckless for 79 cents.I expected it to sound bad but to my surprise it sounds much better than expected almost CD quality.The factory deck/radio unit has Dolby do that may explain it.I looked at the case and it boasts that it has chrome tape.That may explain the difference.What do you guys think?1488189488006-1888952480.jpg

I had a 2001 Caravan that I technically bought twice.

My wife and I bought it with about 40,000 miles on it when we were together then I bought it from her after we split up.

Not a bad vehicle at all for us. I think between us, we put over 200,000 miles on it. I think she had a radiator issue and I did the alternator on it. No transmission problems.

I even helped a stuck state police officer that had slid slightly off the road in a rural-ish area. It was a rescue vehicle!

Never listened to Winwood or Bryan Adams in it as far as I recall so you are one up on me.

:p

I am 52 so I remember when they first came out so it is nostalgia for me to listen to them now.That is what us great about Youtube,multiple versions are available both live and studio versions.

Nice find & repair when needed shouldn't be too expensive. My '05 Saturn Relay has 175K on it. I guess I need to start looking! :)

Rome

Okay a year on almost and the beater is still going strong.I had to replace the ignition lock cylinder and last summer I changed the front brake pads but that is about it.Performed well even when the temp was below zero.Very happy with it!

If its not rusty and its been at least somewhat maintained you're good. Those things usually seem to perish from rust around here.

Since the beast recently died,I was in need of a ride to take me to work.Since it is only 5 miles down the road it did not have to be great.A friend wanted to getvtid of this 99 Caravan with a Chrysler front end.The price was well under 1K so I went for it.Runs fairly well with 162K on the clock and most everything still wotks.It has a cassette player and just for gun I picked up a copy of Bryan ADAMS Reckless for 79 cents.I expected it to sound bad but to my surprise it sounds much better than expected almost CD quality.The factory deck/radio unit has Dolby do that may explain it.I looked at the case and it boasts that it has chrome tape.That may explain the difference.What do you guys think?View attachment 877293
I had a Ford Windstar of around the same vintage. It got you anywhere you wanted to go and had well north of 200K on it. I put in a factory CD/cassette player which sounded pretty doggone good. It was good for hauling stuff-just take out the seats and you're on your way. My son, against my orders, drove it to see his mother. It ran hot on him on the way back. Instead of pulling over and taking his lumps, he tried to get it back home (umm, almost 50 miles!). He locked up the motor. I finally wound up selling it for scrap.

That is one thing I tried to impress upon my kids at an early age. Pay attention to what the car is telling you, both gauge wise and seat of the pants wise too when driving.
Lucky for me they've both made it to adulthood without incident and now have to worry about their own kid listening to them.

When was the transmission last serviced? A lot of folks ignore the automatic transmission until it's too late. A quick check on craigslist always offers up many 140k vehicles that run and look good but need new transmissions.

I check the fluid and it is still pink and at the proper levell(With the engine running,depress the brake and run through each gear range then put it in park.get out and check the trans fluid dip stick).No problems thus far.Have to drive like a slalom racer because many of the main roads look like a Moonscape due to deep pot holes.

Back
Top Bottom