New blank AWR-054 pcb for SX-1010

5yearplan

Hello all. I was searching yesterday and came across an ad on Ebay. The seller is selling blank power supply boards for SX-1010. They are not reproductions of the original but a new design that fits in its place. I was wondering if anyone has used one yet.

Yeah, I have :) this is new design that I did up by request of another member, to address the original design running too hot. We can talk about anything design, installation related but not purchasing, which is not allowed per the forum rules, if I understand the rules correctly.

I actually ordered one this morning. Will probably touch base with you once I get it. I have a SX-1010 that I refurbished and want to keep it for a long time. Its on every day. My wife listens to it more than I do.
I wish the board was available when I was working on it. The original PS is pretty crispy to say the least.

I was the Lab tech for the real world operational checks for Rick's 1010 PS board.
Ricks simple circuit for the +-56 volts regulation makes the power supply HS's run at 130°F @ 70° OAT. The supplies are spot on stable and the board fits using the original six standoffs. It also has more clearance between the bottom cover and heatsinks.
He hit a home run with this design.
We talked very briefly about using an adjustable circuit for dialing in the +-B supplies. Minimum tinkering is better suited for the weekend electronic hobbyist, and better reasoning - it's just not needed.
He kept it simple like he wanted.
I felt lucky he asked me to help in the testing.

I was amazed at the details that the board incorporates. The locations of the components are an important part of the design. I don't know all the tricks involved but I can see how it all comes together. One thing I noticed right off, was all the high watt resistors are raised off the board like we want but, they also have plated holes under them for better cooling. This is one small detail that didn't get overlooked by me.

Now the PS is no longer an issue.

I'm looking forward to replacing the original. With the amount of use it gets I've been expecting it to fail one of these days. Rick would it be possible to get the BOM for the components I need to purchase? I am placing an order with Mouser soon so I might as well order that too.

Back
Top Bottom