New Bob Carver Crimson 275 Stereo Vacuum Tube Amplifier-Taking orders.$2495 Shipped. Made in USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JClarkStereo

http://jimclarkstereo.com/
Sponsor
7c4708_bb781c86e53d4364b1b010febfff2bf6~mv2.png Carver275_4.fw_.jpg

Jimclarkstereo.com . Demonstration available North of Rockford, IL.. (815) 323 0898.
7c4708_bb781c86e53d4364b1b010febfff2bf6~mv2.png

Bob Carver sound for just $2,495!

Seventy five watts per channel at a price that will drive the competition into feedback mode.

Bob and his staff are working hard to birth this new product. We didn’t achieve such a great price by going off-shore. The 275 Stereo is point-to-point wired by hand in the same facility as our Raven Crimson and Silver Seven.

75 watts/ch. • Almost 130 watts RMS/ch. into 4Ω on music and speech with 2-ohm capability! • 110dB S/N beats most solid state designs • Legendary Tung-Sol KT120 power tubes • DC Restorer and “Listen to the Room” features

Last edited:
19lbs - quite a featherweight for a tube amp, but I'm intrigued. Point-to-point wired? Relay input selectors? Info on the website is sparse.

Hi Helom,
I'll attach some information about the 275. It is hand made in Snohomish Washington. It does use a circuit board and is not fully point to point. It is not an integrated so it has RCA inputs for left and right channels. Some of the early literature mentioned XLR, but that did not make it to the production units and the info is being updated and pictures upgraded. I'll attach a photo of the production color. Some of the early info shows a dark brown color. The production color is the dark red. The sound is incredible and feedback has been great. You can demo one here at my location north of Rockford, IL.. Or you can buy one with a no questions asked return policy for 10 days after you receive it, and a full 5 year tube included warranty. Also notice our no depreciation policy. Please don't hesitate to call. Jim 815 323 0898.
7c4708_bb781c86e53d4364b1b010febfff2bf6~mv2.png

Last edited:
19lbs - quite a featherweight for a tube amp, but I'm intrigued. Point-to-point wired? Relay input selectors? Info on the website is sparse.
Crimson 275 Advantages

1. Rated at 75 W per channel, it typically does about 90 W and can hit 140 W for short periods—cleanly.
  2. It's using a new style output transformer, with special steel and windings, to allow for this amount of power and excellent sound in a smaller, lighter package resulting in a $3500 amplifier that sells for just over $2500. The transformer is one of the most expensive things in your entire system from the manufacturing standpoint.
  3. The unit has a five-year warranty, not only on the amplifier, but on the tubes as well. This is all the more remarkable when one realizes that wonderful companies like McIntosh and Audio Research only warrant tubes for 90 days. This has never been done before.
  4. The tube checker is built right into the amplifier; you can see the meter on the front. Get a bad reading, get free tubes. This has never been done before.
  5. The amplifier has the ability to repair defective output tubes. It's one of the reasons why we can afford such a long warranty. With conventional designs, a blown output tube can take out collateral circuitry. With our design, we are able to fuse the output tubes without any sonic degradation. The main fuse may never blow. There is a separate ordinary fuse, easily available, for this very purpose. This dedicated output tube fuse will blow if the tube is defective. If the defect is impurities, the most common scenario, they will be vaporized, the fuse will blow, and everything is back to normal when the fuse is replaced. We supply a little packet. If you do have this experience, since the tube is now repaired, things will settle down-- most likely permanently. With the lower quality common in today's tubes, we finally found a remedy. This has never been done before.
  6. The amplifier is unique in having two feedback loops-- one is pretty conventional, but the other is designed to interact with the loudspeaker which is listening to your room at all times; all loudspeakers are microphones. We can use this low-level information to enhance the size of the soundstage and provide more realistic depth because this information is often hidden or masked by high-level signal. We believe that other tube type amplifiers may have this benefit but unless they have created a unique path as we have, the difference would be more subtle. Solid-state amplifiers are utterly incapable of listening to the room. This has never been done before.
  7. The circuit is based on the 350 series and sounds extremely similar.
  8. Nearly everything we've written above is unique to all of our amplifiers and they all share these advantages.
  9. UMRP: $2750-- Crimson 275, dark red only; $9500—Crimson/Raven 350s (monoblocs), black or dark red; $32,000-- Silver Seven 900s, black or dark red.

I too am surprised at it's weight. Looks great though!
Regards,
Jim

The weight is very surprising. When you listen to it, it is even more amazing..
I'm use to 350 watt mono blocks and found the 275 to have plenty even while driving fairly inefficient speaker. No loss in sound quality. I still shake my head with disbelief.. I'm use to 100 lbs of amps. This 20 lb amp is freaky..

Full refund in your home trial offer. The shipping to you is free. Cost you about $37 to send it back for any reason or no reason. No one has returned one, so I'm happy to make this offer. Jimclarkstereo.com. Call 815 323 0898.

We have a no depreciation policy as well, within the Bob Carver line of vacuum tube amplifiers..
Crimson 275 Advantages

1. Rated at 75 W per channel, it typically does about 90 W and can hit 140 W for short periods—cleanly.
  2. It's using a new style output transformer, with special steel and windings, to allow for this amount of power and excellent sound in a smaller, lighter package resulting in a $3500 amplifier that sells for just over $2500. The transformer is one of the most expensive things in your entire system from the manufacturing standpoint.
  3. The unit has a five-year warranty, not only on the amplifier, but on the tubes as well. This is all the more remarkable when one realizes that wonderful companies like McIntosh and Audio Research only warrant tubes for 90 days. This has never been done before.
  4. The tube checker is built right into the amplifier; you can see the meter on the front. Get a bad reading, get free tubes. This has never been done before.
  5. The amplifier has the ability to repair defective output tubes. It's one of the reasons why we can afford such a long warranty. With conventional designs, a blown output tube can take out collateral circuitry. With our design, we are able to fuse the output tubes without any sonic degradation. The main fuse may never blow. There is a separate ordinary fuse, easily available, for this very purpose. This dedicated output tube fuse will blow if the tube is defective. If the defect is impurities, the most common scenario, they will be vaporized, the fuse will blow, and everything is back to normal when the fuse is replaced. We supply a little packet. If you do have this experience, since the tube is now repaired, things will settle down-- most likely permanently. With the lower quality common in today's tubes, we finally found a remedy. This has never been done before.
  6. The amplifier is unique in having two feedback loops-- one is pretty conventional, but the other is designed to interact with the loudspeaker which is listening to your room at all times; all loudspeakers are microphones. We can use this low-level information to enhance the size of the soundstage and provide more realistic depth because this information is often hidden or masked by high-level signal. We believe that other tube type amplifiers may have this benefit but unless they have created a unique path as we have, the difference would be more subtle. Solid-state amplifiers are utterly incapable of listening to the room. This has never been done before.
  7. The circuit is based on the 350 series and sounds extremely similar.
  8. Nearly everything we've written above is unique to all of our amplifiers and they all share these advantages.
  9. UMRP: $2750-- Crimson 275, dark red only; $9500—Crimson/Raven 350s (monoblocs), black or dark red; $32,000-- Silver Seven 900s, black or dark red.7c4708_bb781c86e53d4364b1b010febfff2bf6~mv2.png

Good afternoon everyone. One of the most common questions we are receiving about the new Crimson 275 is about its weight. Although Bob Carver has many interests and looks at every possible part of the circuit that might affect sound or reliability, personally, I think he has an affinity for unique power supplies but he also pays close attention to the output stage which is one of the main determining factors of a unit’s performance.

For some time now, Bob has been working on a novel approach to manufacturing an output transformer. All transformers suffer from magnetostriction. Transformer noise is caused by a phenomenon which causes a piece of magnetic sheet steel to extend itself when magnetized. When the magnetization is taken away, it goes back to its original condition. This phenomenon is scientifically referred to as magnetostriction.

All quality transformers use a special steel alloy to minimize this effect. Bob has come up with an alloy that along with its magnetic nature, and his proprietary winding technique, has increased the efficiency giving us two options: we can increase the power by using a larger version of this new design and the amplifier will retail for $3500 and have 150 W per channel. Or, the path we chose, use a smaller lighter version that still provides up to 90 W per channel and allows us to keep the price close to the target of $2500. With that in mind, it leaves an opportunity open to bring out 150 W mono-blocks at a reasonable price.

When we made the decision to make KT 120s standard, it brought the price to $2750. So now you have an idea about the history and details of this innovation but there’s a dark side to my post.

The transformers are specially made for us here in the United States. When we built our first 100 units, Jordon Gerber-- physicist and partner, who participates in the build and helped design the unit, is also in charge of production at “our” factory-- an independent, high-quality assembler who builds our loudspeaker (100 solder joints in each tower!) and he ordered enough extra transformers to do an additional 20 units figuring that would hold us. Well, everything sold out quickly, so Jordon ordered another 20 transformers. This created a two-week waiting list.

Well now, with the sales exceeding our most optimistic estimates, he placed an even larger order of output transformers but now the manufacturer tells us the transformer division is heavily committed to (probably) larger companies and they are quoting a four to five week wait which means orders placed today may not ship for 5 to 6 weeks. Any orders placed during the waiting period will receive the special promotional price we’ve been advertising of $2500 but you must have an order in.

Here’s Bob Carver experimenting with the winding in case you thought that was hyperbole.

upload_2018-11-7_11-10-41.png

Peace and Harmony to all,
Frank Malitz CEO
The Bob Carver Co.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-7_11-8-45.png
    upload_2018-11-7_11-8-45.png
    608 KB · Views: 4
Great looking Amp, please explain how you"repair" a blown output tube as to me a bad tube is a bad tube and a separate part of the circuit as a whole.....

Great looking Amp, please explain how you"repair" a blown output tube as to me a bad tube is a bad tube and a separate part of the circuit as a whole.....

The amplifier has the ability to repair defective output tubes. It's one of the reasons why we can afford such a long warranty. With conventional designs, a blown output tube can take out collateral circuitry. With our design, we are able to fuse the output tubes without any sonic degradation. The main fuse may never blow. There is a separate ordinary fuse, easily available, for this very purpose. This dedicated output tube fuse will blow if the tube is defective. If the defect is impurities, the most common scenario, they will be vaporized, the fuse will blow, and everything is back to normal when the fuse is replaced. We supply a little packet. If you do have this experience, since the tube is now repaired, things will settle down-- most likely permanently.

On occasion, after the KT120 are shipped, the impurities have moved within the tubes and one will act shorted and flash at first power up.. Even after the burn in at the factory, shipping / shaking can reveal this issue.

This is seen as a flash in the tube and a blown fuse. In the Bob Carver design the impurity is vaporized at the same time the fuse blows. Changing the fuse will generally correct the issue. The tube that flashed will act normal again. No damage to the amp.. The amps are supplied with quality Tung Sol factory matched tubes. The measurements are labeled on each box from the Tung Sol factory.

After the tube factory match and the amp burnin at the factory, this is increasingly rare. In the past 6 months (100s of tubes) I have only had a report of this one time. Changing the fuse corrected the problem. The same tube that flashed has presented no further issues.

Thank you for the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered one the other day and it should be in the house next week. I bought this without listening to it first but I hope to be pleased with it. At this time I am not sure what system I will add it to.

I ordered one the other day and it should be in the house next week. I bought this without listening to it first but I hope to be pleased with it. At this time I am not sure what system I will add it to.

Let us know! Anxious to hear your opinions....Al

I contacted the company directly regarding the status of my order. Both the CEO and General Manager replied back to me. My amp is ready to ship but the tubes are currently not available to them yet due to a delay in their order of tubes. They should arrive by the end of this week and mine will be tested and shipped out by early next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom