New Bose technology... or is it the same old thing

UH-oooooh. To be real honest, the first time I heard that, was around Halloween 1992, in a high-end shop in Darwin, Australia. The guy had a "expensive" room, and a "not so expensive" room. After getting my socks knocked off in the expensive room by a TINY pair of Krix loudspeakers, with only two 4" woofers being driven by a 200wpc "M.A." power amp, we wandered towards the door, having to pass through the inexpensive room. There were some speakers in there called Richter's. I asked the proprietor if they were any good. He said, "Not really, they're kind of like your American Bose. Ya know, no highs and no lows." Maybe HE started it.

In the expensive room, he also had what he claimed was "The most gorgeous set of drums in the entire Northern Territory!" They were beautiful. He invited me to come back after the store closed, so that we could take turns wailing on those drums. I had so much damn fun that night, I felt guilty that all I did was buy our pizza for dinner. Gentleman's name was Rob McLachlin, and his shop, "Complete Sound" was right across the highway from the joint Darwin Int'l. Airport/Darwin Air Base. Darwin is way beyond cool! So is the rest of Oz for that matter.

Toasted Almond

Last edited:
I have heard the series 3 ( and up ) 901's along with many pairs of 201,301 and so on and none of them did anything for me. As ya said some people do like em.

I think what we were pointing out is all the Bull Shit that Bose blows up everyone's ass about them being the best is really old. As for them being the best.....Well they are in Marketing.

As for Hendrix using Bose. Maybe he was but he also was taking enough Cid to give most of Detroit a bad trip. :D

Lee,

I don't recall hearing any decent sounding Bose speakers, at any price. My humble opinion. Did I say humble? Did you say humble?

Toasted Almond

Bose Pro

I have a friend who owns a Night Club / Resturante and in the lounge area he has a dance Floor with a DJ and he put in or had it professionaly put in a complete Bose Pro system. I was very concerned for my friends mental health but when I heard it and was able to go play with it during the day I was blown away WOW!!! a far cry from their home crap. . . .I think its their marketing that turns me off more than anything else. . . .

Their pro gear is OK, but I'll take EAW or Turbosound over Bose for that area any day. Bose seems to have this thing for arrays of 4.5" full-range drivers...sorry, gotta have compression horns for accurate treble in a live speaker, and for bass bins there's no substitute for cubic inches, baby. :D

And I just can't gather much respect for a company that (1) won't advertise frequency response specs and (2) sues magazines that dare to measure and publish objective scientific data gathered from their speakers.

Honesty has nothing to fear from empiricism - only charlatans need quake in their boots.

TP

Well I still think those early 901s will make for a great center channel for the HT. I am not expecting miracles out of them but for DVD movie center a pair of the early, prefoam surrounds ought to work out fine. If not I will sell the things after the old man kicks it. Why he kept those and sold the JBLs still mystifies me.

Back
Top Bottom