New C-Sharp Turntable From E.A.T.

For rumble measurements to be any useful at all you really need a frequency plot with the two TTs measured the same way, and no weighing of the figures. Otherwise they are rather meaningless.

-69dB rumble (or thereabouts) in the HifiNews lab report and w&f was around 0.04% if I recall correctly, there's a link to that review on the mfgs product page.

Well there is C Major out now and at a reasonable price--comes with a blue Quintet cart. And I'm considering spending most of this year's bonus on it and a black cube and one of those imported from Japan Oyaide weight adjustable stabilizers.
It look's like Jozefine is stealing more and more of her hubby's Project Line parts. A very heavily upgraded Debut Carbon is what it looks like in all black with a floating plinth. Corporate year end is July. I would consider VPI but I just do not care for the looks of the Prime--at all.

For some $4,000 might be insignificant but it's still a decent amount of money especially for a non essential item like a turntable. Maybe it's me, I'm a little over cautious, unless something checks all the boxes and then some I'm more inclined to wait a year or two before jumping on a new product that hasn't had time to prove itself.

The EAT looks fantastic, and it may be great. I've seen at least a dozen different Project TT models at a store in my neighborhood. They all look good, but I've examined them closely and was not impressed — even the salesmen agree (they also sell Linn, Clearaudio and VPI, so they know turntables). A couple of friends have bought Projects and I'm not at all impressed with their sound or construction. They were complete with an Ortofon cart, and were supposedly "plug and play". But the carts were way out of alignment, and the VTA was far off. The platter was cheap stamped steel, very resonant, insufficient mass — and it cost $800.

The current "vinyl renaissance" has made the turntable into a "lifestyle product" and looks count for a lot in this new market. Project always delivers a "cool looking" product, but there are many vintage tables I'd choose over a Project, or Rega for that matter (those two brands seem to be the market leaders), and those vintage tables would be much better and also cheaper.

If I'm wrong, I apologize to all Project owners.

I couldn't agree more Bimasta re some of the new "modern" tables being sold/promoted as a "lifestyle product" featuring plinths in a range of colors and a sleek design. They dominate the entry level market and now the same companies are inching their way into the $800+ class with not a lot more to offer in performance or build quality. I couldn't agree more that your money goes a lot further with vintage tables if you are interested in performance and build/sound quality with many times an excellent appearance/design.

Actually I have a Project Debut Carbon and also a restored vintage Pioneer PL-518. Both are good. I run a Denon MC cart on the Project and a 2M Blue on the Pioneer. The Project I also upgraded to an acrylic platter and outboard speed box.
The hum that many noticed at the outset of this device when 1st sold just isn't there. Having listened extensively to both I give a slight nod to the Project for sound quality. I can move the Project downstairs to the home theater area and get the EAT.
I like having 2 turntables in my primary listening room and enjoy listening to both. Just like I enjoy vintage warm sounding Advent Smallers but also enjoy the more clinical EPOS speakers. Yeah I am guilty of Gear Acquisition Syndrome at times.

Even then electric noise should be in 90s or high 80s, and mechanical at least 50. Otherwise I do not see what they ask 4 grand for. Their advertised specs are more in line with AT120 table category. $4000 is VPI Classic 3 range and VPI produces almost no noise while playing real disks. It is also twice as much than cost to get Yamaha GT-2000 directly form Japan.

Maybe they have done something crazy like not skew measurements and given actual real-world numbers? Yeah... the GT-2000 in in my future by the way.

One of you can get Pioneer Exclusive P3 instead.

I'm sure as long as we are happy with a "plain Jane" 2000, we won't be fighting. It's those GT-2000X models that would cause WW3. Especially if it has the rare cast-iron YAB-1 plinth cradle...

Armyslowrdr re the Project Carbon recent reports from buyers indicates it's still a roll of the dice with this model having motor hum, Project has had plenty of time, feedback to clean up either design, materials or quality control.

Nice. Pre-judging her intelligence based on what? Her looks apparently. Not cool. She very well could be smarter than you....definitely smarter than a simple country pig.

Ya done yourself proud with that post.

Regards
Mister Pig

Would have loved to marry a lady engineer. Talents from reading a skematic to holding a soldering gun. A great complement to my audio hobby. Sigh. Always thought she was pretty cool!

My old thorns TD 125 measured around -62 db playing a blank record with .04 W&F at a B&O Turntable clinic. That was i the early 70's. The table cost $185 and the SMR 3009 MK II was in the same neighborhood. And old TD 124 measured about - 46 db with about .07 W&F and was a freight train. So I would look elsewhere. Maybe find your self a pristine 598 Empire . I mean any version of a preowned SL 1200 would easily outperform the C-sharp.

Back
Top Bottom