New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

Recently arrived :D

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I last got an 8 track....

James Taylors greatest hits

And I got a cassette :)

Cliff Richard - I'm Nearly Famous (First release)

Truthfully, I've been going on a bit of a tape buying binge in recent weeks...this might be the most "good luck finding another" score I've made (and for cheap to boot!) so far...

20181027_151412.jpg
20181027_151305.jpg

Yes - still factory sealed w/the original handwritten price on the plastic! :eek:

As far as other finds I've been making - I'm certainly not complaining w/the collection thus far for only getting back into tapes within the past 2 months...

20181026_211444.jpg

Just found a package of 4, still sealed, of TDK SA90, 1991 version, for a whopping $1.45 as the local AS-IS store. (pic from the web) They had tons of pre-recorded cassettes but I didn't find a single one that didn't look worn out or was one of those you'd have to pay me to listen to.

I will buy as many new Type II tapes as possible and get rid of most of the low end Type I tapes I have, like the Sony HF, Scotch BX, and Maxell UR. I will keep the higher qualiity high output Type I tapes. My deck is biased for TDK SA and TDK DSX.

2-TDK-SA-90-HIGH-BIAS-TAPES-VINTAGE.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice guys :)

I got these today:

CASSETTE: Elton John - Madman across the water (First 1971 release)

Last edited:
aTFOTD.JPG
Today at GW.
Left to right from the top:
Jimi Hendrix - 16 greatest classics - Label: Bigtime 2615254 Made in Holland
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Smash Hits - Label: Polydor 3195 226 Made in Holland
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis Bold As Love - Label: MCA MCAC-10894 Reissue USA (new sealed)
Cream - Disraeli Gears - Label RSO CT1-3010 USA
Steely Dan - Gold - Label MCA MCAC-10387 USA (new sealed)

Found a little stack of NOS type I blanks at the Goodwill today for a quarter a pop!

20181130_164339.jpg

Interestingly enough, the cassette tape section has shrinked considerably since my last visit (in October) to the location I found these - a good 3 or 4 shelves full last time, only a small handful of pre-recorded tapes left this time.

Yet another blank tape addition - these just arrived today.

20181203_160421.jpg

I was on the fence about even messing around with Type IV tapes, but I unexpectedly got the winning bid with these - so here I am!

IMG_0532 (net).jpg

I recently decided to splurge and acquired a Premonition Records limited release of Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue. This is a licensed direct transfer from the master tapes of the 2011 remastered version of the 1994 recording as remixed by Jim Anderson. Premonition transfers it onto two 10.5” reels of SM-900 tape, two track 15 ips with IEC eq.

Jonothan Horwich at Premonition is also a big fan of the Sony APR-5003 deck as I am, and uses them exclusively for his transfers (he owns three). Yesterday I calibrating my APR-5003 for 15 ips IEC using a MRL calibration tape as I’ve only used NAB eq in the past (although I probably should be using IEC).

Cafe Blue is one of my favorite albums and on my top ten list. It has always been recognized as one of those audiophile recordings that is simply over the top. I have several examples of this recording in other formats. Both versions in SACD and the original version in vinyl. All are spectacular to experience on a good system.

With high expectations, I sat down this morning to do some critical listening. I just finished listening to the two reels and I must say it was a life changing event. I am a big fan of the open reel sound but for the first time I believe I have just experienced the extreme possibility of this format.

I doubt recorded audio can get any better? I think I will listen to it again...

Last edited:
I last got 2 cassettes :)

1) Paul Anka - Times of your life (1st 1975 release)
2) Bert Kaempfert - Warm and Wonderful (1st 1969 decca release)

I know it says "TAPE Find of The Day" afterall, *I* started it; but LOOOOOOKIE here: never even heard of them !! Hopefully it will download properly.20190121_170611.jpg20190121_170611.jpg 20190121_170411.jpg

skc.jpg

Quite recently acquired, according to some sources this is an older Sony UX-tape - not sure if matches up to that yet...

/Per

Back
Top Bottom