New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

Sounds like a fun thread. I'd have more to contribute if we did it the other way though: tapes acquired with high expectations that turned out to be a waste of time. (But you can always record over them, right?)

Image2.jpg

15ips 4 channel live recordings of the Chicago Civic Orchestra also marked as sub-masters. One unmarked tape has the Beethoven Elgmont Overture & Copland Appalachian Spring.

I got 6 reels of this stuff - the tape is back coated but no SSS. Very decent recordings complete with coughs from audience and shuffling about noises from the orchestra. I haven't determined yet if the Quad mix was well-engineered or if they just placed 4 microphones around the stage. But they are still fun to listen to.

Sweet! :music:

THIS must be your "find of the month" !! very sweet...

as far as Y ask Y:
IMHO - there is SO much junk on the web that has (again - IMO) absolutely no value, that - to me - it makes no sense to get others "permission" to post anything. When you hit that "ENTER" key on the keyboard - WHAT is one risking? Censure? Ostracism? The end of AK?!?
or the world as we know it?

Seriously, when I see post like what is the purpose of a tape recorder, it make me wonder how someone found AK and could post in the tape forum W/O reading ANYTHING ELSE. Aren't there -like- 247 different people & reasons why tape recorders are still around? And here's another: 'is the purpose to just record?' (YES! just record and NEVER EVER play the tape back! It WILL cause the world to end and even worse! :nono::yes: ) JUST my jaded rant and now I'll stop and get that ''swap tape" in the mail!
Apology to all offended and if I didn't offend, I'll try harder next time:tears:
...OTOH, sure - :thmbsp:go ahead and post. YOU have my blessings. All others have to ask (sic)

THIS must be your "find of the month" !! very sweet...

as far as Y ask Y:
IMHO - there is SO much junk on the web that has (again - IMO) absolutely no value, that - to me - it makes no sense to get others "permission" to post anything. When you hit that "ENTER" key on the keyboard - WHAT is one risking? Censure? Ostracism? The end of AK?!?
or the world as we know it?

Seriously, when I see post like what is the purpose of a tape recorder, it make me wonder how someone found AK and could post in the tape forum W/O reading ANYTHING ELSE. Aren't there -like- 247 different people & reasons why tape recorders are still around? And here's another: 'is the purpose to just record?' (YES! just record and NEVER EVER play the tape back! It WILL cause the world to end and even worse! :nono::yes: ) JUST my jaded rant and now I'll stop and get that ''swap tape" in the mail!
Apology to all offended and if I didn't offend, I'll try harder next time:tears:
...OTOH, sure - :thmbsp:go ahead and post. YOU have my blessings. All others have to ask (sic)

Uh - Okay...:wtf::rant::D

Well! time to move on... here is my next Find of the Day
I Found it on my Doorstep when I got home...

Image1.jpg

Nice! I hope you will post about its sound quality when you listen to it. It's tempting to get one, since there are basically NO current production prerecorded reel tapes, but I don't know if I can stomach the $110 asking price.

Uh - Okay...:wtf::rant::D

Well! time to move on... here is my next Find of the Day
I Found it on my Doorstep when I got home...

Image1.jpg

Yea-Saw that tape mentioned a couple of weeks ago. I am actually a Shins fan, but not a $110 Shins fan. It was really tempting though-first R to R commercial release in what-25+ years?-cool.:thmbsp:

I am not counting the Tape Project releases. Way to go for those who can affort them and are willing to buy them. Just not going to happen for me, unless Mega Millions comes calling.

I would buy some Tape Project tapes is they offered albums on 7 inch reels at 7.5 ips and 4-track, for, say, $50 each. But there is no temptation for me to buy their current tapes...I can't play 15ips...or 10"reels...

Yea-Saw that tape mentioned a couple of weeks ago. I am actually a Shins fan, but not a $110 Shins fan. It was really tempting though-first R to R commercial release in what-25+ years?-cool.:thmbsp:

I am not counting the Tape Project releases. Way to go for those who can affort them and are willing to buy them. Just not going to happen for me, unless Mega Millions comes calling.

One Tape Project release is probably not completely out of my reach...I but dont wanna get hooked!

When you got people paying $55-60 for a used 10" metal reel of BLANK tape - $100 for a new factory prerecorded reel dont seem so much. Plus, these will be collector's items and sure to appreciate in value.

Yeah...I agree with you...in fact I have been wrestling with that Shins reel since I saw your post...after checking out some of the songs on Amazon, I decided to buy it...current production reel tapes should be supported!

Nice! I hope you will post about its sound quality when you listen to it. It's tempting to get one, since there are basically NO current production prerecorded reel tapes, but I don't know if I can stomach the $110 asking price.

Sorry it took me so long to post Skylab but Spring has come early to the Ohio Valley and I am taking advantage of the nice weather!

I have listened to the entire tape and I am impressed. I would have thought this was a high quality digital recording except that the noise floor was noticeable between tracks... but I was jamming it at fairly high levels (as it should be :yes:). Don't get deliberate overdrive or distortion confused with "clipping" there is no clipping in the recording at all. You will hear an impressive amount of interesting sonic textures on this tape!

The music itself is what merits elaborating on and is very engaging. Port of Morrow has a tremendous depth of production and is many-layered. Sometimes you are not sure if your are hearing a guitar or a synth. Varied nuances of sound flow in and out, if you like highly detailed music you will like this. If anything detracts from the reel format its the interruption of the music to change sides and even if you have auto reverse there is quite a bit of "dead tape" at the end of Side One.

I see this growing on me each time I will hear it. There is a continuity to the whole that really grabs you as the Shins use a lot of effects on this recording...there are some interesting connective "threads" like use of Leslie organ and there are some playful element that they use like having tracks fade out with a deliberate "hum" applied at the end. :D

As a rTr aficionado and collector I am not regretting the purchase!!

Hmm I seem to like where you guys are headed with this. As a small project studio (in my house) I sometimes am able to come up with some strange and interesting tapes. The last one was from a radio station near here (Kalamazoo Michigan) from back in 1949 & 1950. It was recorded at a movie theater up in Hastings Mi. A live performance of a then local band complete with commercials. Almost like and I don't know if any of you guys have heard of, Lester Road Hog Moran and his Cadillac Cowboys (the Stafford Brothers Alter ego) except it wasn't as bad as they played it up to be!

I made a digital copy of this for the owner and passed them back to him. The tape was old and fragile and the music was old country, actually new country back then. The owner was a lap steel player in the band. He was 81 a couple of years ago and in Florida. Unfortunately I have lost contact with him, he may have passed on I do not know.

I have a lot of interesting tapes of prerecorded music, some from a radio station that I worked at and some from people giving me tapes as I had reel to reels and they knew it. Some from the radio stations are half track and recorded at 7.5 and some at 15ips. They are also spaced with time for commercials which can be somewhat annoying! I am just sayin if some one wants to listen to some of them I am not against sending them out. I just will demand them back after an agreed certain amount of listening time. Let me know if you guys are interested. These are half track tapes so you will have to have a half track machine to listen to them!

boxoboom :music::music:

Hmm I seem to like where you guys are headed with this. As a small project studio ...

I have a lot of interesting tapes of prerecorded music, some from a radio station that I worked at and some from people giving me tapes as I had reel to reels and they knew it. Some from the radio stations are half track and recorded at 7.5 and some at 15ips. They are also spaced with time for commercials which can be somewhat annoying! I am just sayin if some one wants to listen to some of them I am not against sending them out. I just will demand them back after an agreed certain amount of listening time. Let me know if you guys are interested. These are half track tapes so you will have to have a half track machine to listen to them!

boxoboom :music::music:

+1:thmbsp:

Bio of Soviet test pilot on very odd looking tape - kinda off white, gray. Heavy shedder but NO sticking:thmbsp:; 7.5ips, English!!

Attachments

• DSCN1305_270.jpg
    DSCN1305_270.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN1306_271.jpg
    DSCN1306_271.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 101
from that pile of old Scotch 150's:

Two Days in November is the title of a recording by Doc Watson and Merle Watson, released in 1974. The title refers to the two days it took to complete the recording.

At the Grammy Awards of 1975, Two Days in November won the 1974 Grammy Award for Best Ethnic or Traditional Folk Recording.-from WIKI

Very good levels and nary a tic or pop (well - just 1 or 2:thmbsp:)

I got a couple tapes on eBay recently that I bought for a price where I was fine using them as "blank tape", but they were from a "professional tape service' - the one I am playing now is a blues compilation, recorded on an Ampex 700, 7.5 ips/4track, Scotch 207 tape - sounds OUTSTANDING! There is no way I am recording over this :D

Well, I've had this tape for a year or so... Salvation Army for $1.99...
It's one of FS's best, and Ive enjoyed it on vinyl for years... I bought this not having a RTR deck (I owned an Akai in high school back in the 1980's... but sold that deck to a pawn shop for far too little money when i first moved out on my own a year after HS)...

Anyway... I may be coming into a rtr deck soon... will know this week... but here's my tape find... (I also have a box filled with 7" tapes in the attic that ive had for 10 years.... all recorded by someone else, donated to me... and 3 reels from my own recording work 27 years ago...

Attachments

• DSC03165.jpg
    DSC03165.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC03174.jpg
    DSC03174.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC03178.jpg
    DSC03178.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
My BIL once sang in a choir several years ago that wanted to make cassette recordings to sell for a Christmas fund raiser. They arranged to use one of the better acoustical churches in the area, and convinced a small group from a local orchestra to support them. To master they used my BIL's AKAI 635D he bought while in the service (which had basically never been used before or since). Another choir member had a friend that mixed for local bands and he brought in some mics and a board.

I now own both the deck and the master tape (Maxell XL1, 35-180B) and it is probably the most enjoyable music I own. Whoever set the mics and mixed knew what he was doing (or got really lucky)! The original presence of the music and space is absolutely captured, and through my system, transforms my living room into a church chamber filled with an audience, choir and orchestra.

Listening to it now (a little out of season).

Rainer Chorale - Hodie, a Christmas Cantana.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom