New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

each and every tape is a mastertape from a radiostations commercials - recorded on the PR99 standing on the floor - they are in the process of digitizing their recordings, and discovered their tapedeck was unusable.

Someone came to their rescue, and now my Akai GX630Pro (2Track HighSpeed) with modifed electronics, are standing next to their mixer, where their Revox PR99 was places.

Im happy for you Jan but, Well Sorry, I cant get excited about commercials in Danish language :boring: :smoke::D

OTHO I did come across a BBC program reel of Brian Wilson/ Pet Sounds "Live" on a 10.5" reel / 2 track 7.5ips. Sounds Quite Jolly Good! :D

I only have a few, mostly radio preachers.

Ella Fitzgerald 'These are the blues', on Verve vstc-309. Does the sticker mean unplayed?
I own this Ella tape as well (listened to it just the other day). One of my favorites. She only did one blues recording, and this is it. Why she didn't do more is a mystery because this is really good. Enjoy!

Flea Market for €5 :D

Some is good, some is crap. 2 Cases are broken but others are still wrapped in plastic.

sam0482q.jpg

Last edited:
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - At Carnegie Hall
Columbia 7.5 ips 4-Track Reel tape

Was very psyched to score this one...sounds GREAT!

i picked up a Wollensack 3M model 8055 8-track player/recorder. Still in original box.

and a bunch of SUN Records 8-track tapes.

$2 garage sale score

I recently picked up a Sony TC-880-2 from an estate of an audiophile. Included in the deal was a large quantity (20) of Maxell, TDK and Sony 10.5" reels of tape. At first I was planning on recording over them but I think I've changed my mind as they sound like excellent work. Mostly needle drop classical recorded on 2 track 7.5 ipm. His system also included a Sony 2251 table and HK Citation A and he seemed to know what he was doing based on the quality of these tracks.

Was in a thrift store over the weekend and found two boxes of used Maxell UD 35-180 on big metal reels for $1 each. No hesitation, sold. That was a "first" for me, most TS reels ive seen are home recordings on cheapo brand stock.

Was in a thrift store over the weekend and found two boxes of used Maxell UD 35-180 on big metal reels for $1 each. No hesitation, sold. That was a "first" for me, most TS reels ive seen are home recordings on cheapo brand stock.

Man that would make my day. The UD 35-180 is my tape of choice.

Man that would make my day. The UD 35-180 is my tape of choice.

Yep and I scoured that aisle too looking under everything to make sure I didnt miss any! lol.

Turns out there is nothing on the reels but "preaching" @ 3.75 ips so bulk erasure here it comes!

I won an eBay auction for some 10" 7.5 ips reels of a radio station program called "Blues Deluxe". Cheap. Got 4 - wish I had got more! These things sound incredible. And one of them has a Jerry Garcia Band "Deal" and a Dire Straits "Fade to Black"! Lots of blues greats like Bobby Blue Bland, Muddy Waters, etc, mixed in with blues tracks like the ones i mentioned as well as the likes of Jethro Tull, Heart...Really killer stuff.

I could go crazy buying radio station program tapes...good thing I have a strong anti-hoarding streak...

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - At Carnegie Hall
Columbia 7.5 ips 4-Track Reel tape

Was very psyched to score this one...sounds GREAT!

I've had this tape for a couple of years. One of my all time Brubeck favorites. Great Sound quality. Congrats on your score.

Keep an eye out for Brubeck Plays Bernstein Plays Brubeck. Similar experience.

I've had this tape for a couple of years. One of my all time Brubeck favorites. Great Sound quality. Congrats on your score.

Keep an eye out for Brubeck Plays Bernstein Plays Brubeck. Similar experience.

I actually have that on reel and I agree it's great. I'm a big Brubeck fan :thmbsp:

definatly one of the joys of purchiasing bulk tape lots on ebay. Listening to the compilatiaons of others and deciding what to keep or what to bulk erease. sometimes good stuff badly recorded has to be taped over. A couple of interesting ones were one that seemed to be an authentic combat soundtrack from veitnam with two or three way radio tramsmisstions and explosions helecopters ect. and another one was what I think was a bunch of drunken college kids from upstate western new york messin around tellin dirty jokes makin sound effects with the mike and such. more common struff others here have certainly come across on reel are the resingnation speech and jfk asssination coverage.

super super blues band

Hit big on blues cassettes at thrift store last night; in addition to Muddy, BB, Big Joe Williams, John Lee and Bloomfield there was one of the 'Super Super Blues Band', which was Bo Diddley, Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf in a studio somewhere having quite a good time jamming on standards. All kinds of sh*t-talk going on during the songs; it's rough and disorganized and an absolute hoot!

Toy Matinee

Found a cassette copy of Toy Matinee's self titled release still in the wrapper. The insert is faded, but otherwise everything looks ok.

So...do I play it? Or keep it sealed? :dunno:

I always open and play. I've bought a few reel tapes that were still sealed...but I played them. That's what music is for!!!

Back
Top Bottom