New CDP?

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by joekapahulu, Jun 20, 2018.

1. joekapahulu

joekapahulu Active Member

well my 9 year old Cambridge 7004 is acting up again and it seems like it is time to get a new CDP. The unit has already been to the Mainland once for $250 in repairs plus shipping and it seems once again to be the drawer mechanism. SO, looking for suggestion on a new CDP. I have 4000 spinners plus lots of digital ALAC files but I am not about to rip them all. Have heard a Rega Apollo on a recent trip and thought it sounded good. Read good things about the Marantz 6006. Waiting to hear more about the new Marantz 8006. Looking for new in the $500-1500 range that is reliable and durable. I havent been running an outboard DAC though I could go that way. My backup CDP right now is a Sony ES 5400 SACD which I like but which is no longer made. I could also get a CPD for a second office system in that range. Live in Hawaii so limited chance to hear anything. Could probably wait until the next Mainland trip if we go someplace that has B & M stores. Still need options. Any and all feedback appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

Lots of options out there, but at this point, I'd be inclined to go with a less expensive CDP with a solid transport and an external DAC. Transport technology has not changed much in the last three decades, but DAC technology is progressing by leaps and bounds, and offers options for other digital sources (other than just CD).

If someone shows up recommending OPPO, just keep in mind that they just recently got out of the business, so I don't know what the status of serviceability will be in the not-too-distant future.

3. Celt

Celt Peanut Head Staff Member Super Mod

I recently purchased a Yamaha CD-D700. It sounds good and seems to be really well built.

4. Silentnet

Silentnet I like to keep my issues drawn... Subscriber

I legitimately don't understand how something supposedly built to a high standard like that would fail twice in ten years... My dad is still using the Sony single disc CD player he bought new in like 1990 in a garage system...

5. joekapahulu

I would love for it NOT to be the case but per the CA dealer I spoke to about it in PA, it is a weak link in that model and the one above it. Unfortunately, there is no local dealer or tech so I had to send it to LA to get it fixed. I like the sound of it but I have lost confidence in the build quality. I actually like the DAC which I use on an outboard basis with my Squeezebox Touch. I just figure at 9 years old the technology has probably bypassed it.

6. joekapahulu

Yeah, I had already thought of OPPO but there was nothing left on the site and I didnt find anything indicating a final production or a list to put my name on. Timing was not with me as it happened after the announcement.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Silentnet

Silentnet I like to keep my issues drawn... Subscriber

Approached another way, I'd tell the company to go fuck themselves and never purchase anything they make again, because they clearly don't deserve to get your money. The repairs should have been free. Period.

8. Stefan Wood

Stefan Wood AK Subscriber Subscriber

Get an emotiva erc-3. Their ERCs are built like a tank with an excellent DAC.