New Challenge = Best Bang for the Buck

It sure is nice to know that I am not imagining things. I really am liking the NAD C356bee too. I really think the jumpers made it that much better.
I have the C356, sounded very good but it will be for sale when I get around to it.
After listening to the Raven Nighthawk for a week I put the NAD back in the system. The NAD sounded like a vibrating metal box of broken glass and china shards compared to the Raven. And it is a pretty good amp!

Well for $2600, the Raven Nighthawk better sound superior to the Nad!

I'll add my vote for the Audioquest jumpers, I just got them and they really do make a nice improvement to the C326BEE.

.....and the Onkyo a9010 and QAcoustics 3020, the Onkyo a9010 takes you back to when modest budget integrated amps could boogie like no other, and the q acoustics 3020 is the best budget speaker under $400 on the market at $249 a pair it handily runs rings around the Wharfedale Diamond 220 ,Elac b5 &b6...and many other speakers that cost much moreshowimage.jpg

After reading years of hype regarding the Overnight Sensations ( already mentioned in this thread ) curiosity got the better of me. I bought the kit during PE's Christmas sale but just got around to finishing them. Paul Carmody hit it out of the park with this design. Amazing clarity and bass that is totally unexpected from this pint size wonder.

P8080045.jpg

Nice job, PG! Thanks for the review, they are tempting, but the 83db sensitivity is keeping me away from them. Having actually listened to them and not just read specs, do you have any info to share on that?

Nice job, PG! Thanks for the review, they are tempting, but the 83db sensitivity is keeping me away from them. Having actually listened to them and not just read specs, do you have any info to share on that?

The 83db rating is misleading. I drive mine with a TPA3116 which with a 12v power supply probably makes no more than 15 to 20 wpc and that's plenty. In near field you could get by with even less and they sound so smooth and relaxed at low volume. The only downside to the OS is they are rear ported and won't sound good as a bookshelf speaker. They need open space behind the ports ( 18 inches is ideal ).

The 83db rating is misleading. I drive mine with a TPA3116 which with a 12v power supply probably makes no more than 15 to 20 wpc and that's plenty. In near field you could get by with even less and they sound so smooth and relaxed at low volume. The only downside to the OS is they are rear ported and won't sound good as a bookshelf speaker. They need open space behind the ports ( 18 inches is ideal ).

How do they compare to Betsy OB speakers? I was thinking about building some of them. I'd love to hear the difference. You have both, right?

How about compared to just full-range Betsy drivers? I am thinking about just doing them, no woofers at this point. They are way more efficient at least, I was more curious as to the real sound.

You can build the Betsy in about 2 hours....

Right, but the wife will likely only let me build one pair (and I don't have many tools anymore). So I am trying to figure out which would be best. Betsy-based OBs, Overnight Sensations, other?

To get any bass from single driver Betsy's they need these big ass folding wing baffles which for some women would be grounds for divorce.

These monsters are heavy and difficult to move and while they cost about the same as the OS they offer a completely different listening experience.

If I was marooned on a desert island with bubba's gorgeous SET amp and could only have one pair of speakers it would definitely be the Betsy's.

HPIM3958.jpg

Hmmm, great info, PG. You are wise, I doubt my better half would let me do a wing-baffle OB. I was thinking more of a simple tombstone design. You think that would have no bass? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Can you describe the "completely different listening experience" at all? Maybe extrapolating for a non-wing baffle?

I am thinking higher efficiency for the 2 SET amps I have (3.5W and 10W). But I also have other digital amps I could use these with.

Back
Top Bottom