New Chevrolet Maxx

Yamaha B-2

With gas prices at $3/gal and predictions of $4/gal, decided I needed something better than the 19mpg I was getting from my '02 Explorer. It was/is an excellent 4WD vehicle. Nice and big and roomy and comfortable, but need better mileage. So bought an '06 Cheverolet Malibu Maxx with the 3.5L V6 (201hp). Only option was heated/6-way power seat in the front. And, can't beat the 0% interest close-out deal they were offering. Maxx has a 6" longer wheelbase than the standard Malibu and is 10" larger than is the Focus or Vibe wagons I was looking at. The reason I looked at the Maxx in the first place is that it is very 'wagon-like', with both rear seats and the passenger seat folding flat. Another plus is the chassis/platform was design by GM's Opal division in Germany. It is the basis for the Opal/Saab sedans, as well. The Opal, especially, gets great reviews in the European automotive press. Will drive it around locally for the next three days to get a few miles on it and then will be heading on a road trip to visit EchoWars in KC. Will test its station-wagon abilities as I carry back a set of NS-1000 and a set of NS-500 speakers as well as a CA-2010, C-2x, HA-1 and PS-8750. Oh, yeah....can't forget about the bicycle I have to carry out and back. Wish me luck. Only needs to last about 10 years and 200,000 miles. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Wow... 3.5L is almost double the displacement of my Jetta. But I guess that engine being in a smaller vehicle than your last one will save you a good amount on gas. I love talking to people at my work though with SUV's. "$50 lasts you a week? Oh...well $50 lasts me three!"

After a bit over 2-weeks and 3300 miles I have a pretty good feel for the Maxx. On the highway at 70+mph with the AC on it delivers the EPA sticker 30mpg. Around town it gets, again, the EPA rated 22mpg. Guess the boys and girls at the EPA are getting better at this. It is a very handy design. All the seats, with the exception of the drivers, will lay flat. Near station-wagon and I filled it up on the return from EW's place. Comfortable and nice handling auto. Tremendous foot/leg room in the back with the additional wheel-base. When four of us went out to dinner one of the ones in the back was 6'2" and he was very surprised at the room he had. The standard single play CD provides excellent sound. Surprisingly good. Very flexible. Took a bit of playing/reading to fully understand the digital info center (DIC). But once I did it is useful. Nothing I would pay an extra $1 for, but still interesting. And I like the steering wheel radio/CD controls. I usually forget they are there, but will eventually get used to them. So far, I am quite happy with the choice. Now if I can get 200K trouble-free miles, I'll be a happy camper.

Hmmmm...Again, it sounds like SOMEBODY at Generous Motors has screwed up royally, designing/producing a car that people actually want to own, instead of just throwing whatever the hell they to want shove down our throats...I've maintained for years that if GM, Ford & Chrysler paid as much attention to their PRODUCT as they did worrying about where the next penny of cost they could cut out of it, they'd be MUCH better off. GM has engineering labs that are second-to-none, why don't they come out w/a small diesel-3 or 4, maybe even 5 cylinder, turbocharge it, & blow Volkswagen's New Beetle outta the water ? And look, guys, DON'T base the damnthing offa gas motor again, like you did last time-that don't work. Have a 6, V-8 or V-10 turbodiesel for idiots like me who wanna have a big tank like a Suburban...The Valdez is gettin' old, & yeah, I'd like to have a 3/4 ton K-2500 Urbanizer to replace it....someday.

Sandy G said:
GM has engineering labs that are second-to-none, why don't they come out w/a small diesel-3 or 4, maybe even 5 cylinder, turbocharge it, & blow Volkswagen's New Beetle outta the water ?

And here I was thinking that's why they bought out Isuzu en masse a couple years back. At least that's what they told us. pshaw.

The little Izusu diesel 4 was/is about bulletproof. One of my best friends had one, an '83 pickup, got 50 MPG, he put a couple, maybe 3 hundred thousand on it, the body literally rusted away, but the motor was still cluckin' along...You could about go anywhere in it, as long as you weren't in a hurry...Top speed was 70, & it took half the day to get there.

We have a 05 maxx & my wife loves the car. To increase the fuel mileage the non SS version has electric steering, no pump to run. Due to the first year of production there were minor issues that I am sure have been worked out. This car goes pretty quick
for a high miles to the gallon, carry almost anything driver. Not quite as fast as my brothers new mustang 05 which he then put a paxton super charger on. You have to hold on tight when this one go,sssss :thmbsp:

One of my best friends has a 05 GMC pickup with the Duramax Turbo Diesel and Allison transmission. :drool:

He has it chipped up pretty good (the chip that he has in it has four settings), when he's pulling
his 32' 5th wheel up through the mountains, people can't believe that a truck with a camper is
passing them on the upgrades! :thmbsp:

I seem to remember him telling me that the new Duramax Diesels were engineered by Isuzu... :scratch2:

Scott

Another short trip with the wife to the Cheasepeake to look at a couple of boats (she still wants another boat - oh, well, its her money). The Maxx is a surprisingly comfortable automobile and the 200hp is plenty for its size/weight. Good spacing on the gears so a stomp on the gas-pedal gets one either one or two gears of down-shift to get around whomever you are passing in short order. 4-wheel discs are also standard and haul one down very quickly. Same with ABS. Standard.

I did walk under when I had the oil changed to Mobil 1 at 2K miles. Looks like it is an aluminum block. At least it has an aluminum pan. Not sure about the heads. I did notice that there isn't that much technical info on this engine on the web. For '07 they have destroked the 3.9L that is used in the SS model to get 3.5L for the base engine. This is a cast-iron block/head motor. And is WAY oversquare with a bore of something like 95mm and stroke of 65, or so. Should be a screamer. Makes another 17hp (217), but gives up 2mpg on the hiway and in the city. Glad I got the '06, as I'm after the mileage, all else being about equal.

Back
Top Bottom