New Cornwall III - issue w/ 2nd pair. ..Feelin' snakebit

ODS123

As you may have read in my previous Thread, my first pair of Cornwall III's had a mid-range horn that was not flush mounted against the baffle.

The dealer happily agreed to replace the pair but my second pair has a fairly obvious dent. Ugh!!

I understand nothing is totally perfect, but such an obvious mark on top of the speaker? The box did seem a bit rough, with more than a few dents and a small perforation on the top of the box, but none of the dents or hole correspond w/ this dent on the speaker. ..I suspect it left the factory this way. ..It almost looks like it was set down on a staple, nail or snip of wire as the the riser was being bolted onto the speaker. ..I'm so sick of this. These speakers are freakin' awesome!!! ..But $4200 is a ton of money, they should be blemish free and have drivers that fit properly.

So once again, I'm asking? What would you do? ..Just live with it, or return the speakers - yet again - to the dealer?

Attachments

• IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 218
That looks awfully minor from the pic? Almost looks like the natural pattern in the wood/veneer?

I can appreciate you thinking this based on the pic, but believe me, the dents are easily seen and felt and are definitely man-made (e.g., not part of the wood grain). To me, it looks like someone set the speaker down on its top w/out first clearing the area of debris. ..If I had to give one guess, I'd say it was set down on two small pieces of wire. If the dents were low on one of the speaker sides, I wouldn't care (in fact, I haven't closely inspected the sides, b/c I don't care if they have tiny imperfections). But the top of the speaker?

To those wondering why I didn't inspect them first, they were exchanged at the dealers distribution center which was a crowed place with a concrete floor and people constantly breezing by. I figured there was a greater chance they'd get damaged just trying to unbox and re-box them than the chance of getting a 2nd bad pair. Apparently this was a mistake.

I'm not looking for a refund or even to pressure them for a discount. I just want two speakers w/ drivers that seat properly into the baffle (the issue w/ first pair) AND have no dents on them - particularly the top of the speaker!

I think me I'd exchange then too.
I think some (many?) Might've accepted them (pics don't look too bad but I suspect worse in person).
Irony is if you were buying used they'd be mint.
Enjoy your new speakers!

I'm starting to wonder if your dealer is not a scratch and dent guy dealer . I use to buy a lot of equipment from a dealer (80's) that dealt in this stuff from the factory . But again , I can't see Klipsch doing this . If you are not happy , exchange them .

I only paid £650 for my Monitor Audio BX6s and checking it and being glad they were flawless was my first task. I would have been greatly miffed if they were marked on the top and even more so if I’d paid 4 grand for them!

Just google imaged them. Ooh, very nice! They have a vintage look about them. What ever you decide, I’m sure you’ll forget about the problems when you listen to those beauties.

Last edited:
Not that it compares to $4000+ speakers, I bought my son a polished aluminum tool box for the bed of his pickup last year for his birthday. It took 4 tries to get one that wasn't all beat to sh*t when it got her. Even the 4th had a ding in it, but luckily I could knock it out, and it was hidden when the box was installed anyway. It was half price online compared to what any of the truck accessory places wanted. Poor packaging by the mfgr., rough handling by the shipping gorillas.

You need to bring the speaker to the dealer so they can assess the damage and go from there....hope it works out for you.

I'd call the dealer or better go in and talk to the guy you have been dealing with. Be nice but firm when talking to them. But be ready with an answer when asked what you want. For the amount paid they should be perfect, 100% in every way. Out of the box!

The easiest would be a discount. But there is something to be said for gigging the factory for passing this out of QC! They are still signed by someone in QC right?

Barney

OP wants CW3, not CW1 or 2

He asked our opinion. That's what I would do. He would have plenty of extra cash for Crites upgrades. That's the best value in my opinion.

Also when buying used he can see them prior to purchase and decide if he can live with any flaws.....which are much easier to live with at hundreds of dollars vs. thousands. Or buy some that need love and have them refinished to his liking.

Some of the comments have been kinda funny. ..No, it's not a scratch and dent dealer, and no, not an auction website. ..Though I can see why you both might ask this. Actually, the dealer is quite reputable; in business for years and also carry premium brands like McIntosh, B&W, etc. Though they do sell on line, they also have two stores with very beautiful demo rooms. I bought these locally at one of the stores. They were great about replacing first set, we'll see how they react to this.

As an aside, the Paradigm S8 v3s (also Cherry) that I sold to fund this purchase were 8 years old and did not have ANY blemishes on the wood. ..Only tiny little marks on the metal bases caused by a vacuum cleaner. I was able to sell them on Agon as 9/10s. While I'm not intending to sell my new Cornwalls for years to come, it's frustrating that I'd have to list these as 8/10, as of the day I took them out of the box.

As for buying new vs. used. I'm a pretty conservative consumer. ..No flashy cars, no motorcycle, no pricey watches, no wave-runner, boat, etc... My one extravagance is my 2-Channel audio system. For absolutely no good reason, I insist on buying my gear new. I fully acknowledge this isn't the most responsible way to fund this hobby. Though I do keep my gear for many years, so that makes it a little more sensible.

Last edited:
This is sad to hear. With the issue with the last pair, the dealer shouldn't have missed this. He dropped the ball and I think you should return them for full refund and take your business elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom