1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

New DAC vs using current CD Player

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Galaxie500xl, Feb 5, 2018.

1. GYMusic

GYMusic Compression is your friend Subscriber

From Sony.

"Popular streaming websites like Spotify and Pandora typically use a bitrate of 160 kbps, which is less than that of MP3s. If you spring for Spotify Premium, you’ll still only have access to 320 kbps tracks, which is equivalent to MP3s. Tidal is one of the only streaming websites that streams in CD quality. But it still pales in comparison to the emotional experience that High-Resolution Audio delivers."

Some other "HD' streaming music sites have resorted to upsampling their files. Just sayin... these days, a consumer seldom knows the "chain of custody" a music file goes through, thus rarely knows how many conversions have taken place.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

Yes, I went with a Valab LCR-1 which really is a final end game phono stage for me. It's performance is nothing short of incredible for its cost.

3. Galaxie500xl

Galaxie500xl New Member

I like this idea......

4. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

So what would be a decent winning bid on eBay for the DAC 3? Is the smaller version without a case the same?

5. gvl

gvl Super Member

Iirc the caseless version is an earliest design that lacks USB. IMO anything under $150 shipped over the pond is reasonable, the less the better naturally.