New Dynavector 20x2-L MC makes screeching noise!!!

Kronius

My system:
Rega Planar 3 2016
Phenomena II+

Up until today, I was using an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II cartridge. I recently crossed the 500 hour mark, and I decided to buy a Dynavector 20x2-L cartridge because I'd heard good things about it.

I just installed the Dynavector today and dropped the needle on my favorite record and while it was tracking the lead in groove, the needle started making this god awful screeching noise like it was scraping the vinyl. Thankfully, I lifted the needle off the record before it got to the actual music. It was a close call because it took me a few seconds before I realized what was happening.

I switched to a different record that I didn't care about and it made the same screeching noise on the lead in groove. I didn't want to let it get to the actual music even on a record I didn't care much about.

I figure this must be a manufacturing defect and I have to return the cartridge, but I figured I'd see if anyone else had seen anything like this first.

I made sure the cartridge was screwed on tight before I started playing. I was using 2g bias and 2g tracking force.

I'm pretty sure @Grbluen meant pictures from the side while the needle is on the groove, so we can tell if it's too low a rider. If we needed a picture of just any DV-20X2 we could google it.
Your previous AT cart has about 25% more output. If you're using the same setup, perhaps turn the volume down and give it a shot at a music track, gradually increasing the volume.
If that doesn't seem to make a difference, post a useful picture.

Your previous AT cart has about 25% more output. If you're using the same setup, perhaps turn the volume down and give it a shot at a music track, gradually increasing the volume..

The screeching noise was not coming from the output of the cartridge. I don't even have any speakers connected to the turntable right now. The sound was coming from the actual needle as it was dragged along the vinyl like a scraping noise. It was such that I assumed the needle would damage any record that was played.

Ironically, as I was taking a picture of the needle resting on a vinyl, I decided to give it one more spin to show my fiance and this time it didn't make the noise. I suppose there must have been some debris or residue on the stylus that took some time to come off (even though I did clean it with the stylus brush that came with the cartridge before I spun it).

Here is the pic I took:

IMG_0939.jpg

Neah, it looks like the headshell leads are just too low and one of them was scraping the record. It's loose, so it's inconsistent. The cart looks OK and the suspension looks tip-top.

Back
Top Bottom