New England Winter Frankenfest February 23rd Clinton MA

Are any of you going to this? I was thinking of stopping by, since it's only a few miles from my house.
Is it worth it, or is it "10 guys with crates of beat up/overpriced records schmoozing in the hotel lobby" ?

Attachments

• IMAG2557.jpg
    IMAG2557.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 54
Go and do what? Just look around? That damn AK meet emptied every penny from my pocket. If you end up going, tell us about it....I love a good record show!

i had a great time, as usual.
much thanks to jim, frank and peter for all their hard work...these things don't just happen on their own.

what a crowd ! That had to be the best attended gathering so far.

saying 'hi' to friends, and meeting new friends....mix that with food and drink, throw in some vintage audio...it's all good.

the only problem i saw was, we all have too much 'stuff'. We've been in this hobby long enough to accumulate the great, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Fortunately, Frankenfest is all about the people....not the equipment.

Are any of you going to this? I was thinking of stopping by, since it's only a few miles from my house.
Is it worth it, or is it "10 guys with crates of beat up/overpriced records schmoozing in the hotel lobby" ?

Duuh...that was yesterday. Wife is right ..I am losing it...

Any chance anyone in the Clinton area has any left over receivers they tried to sell there? i'm in the market for one..really wish I knew this was going on hah

My bad, Jim. I received an email about the post, clicked the link, and assumed it was in the Barter Town thread on this same topic. I should have double-checked first and realize now that it wasn't, so I deleted my response. Sorry again.

Here are some more photos, sorry I'm so late :-\
Was a great, great time. :banana:

dsc3070u.jpg

dsc3072b.jpg

dsc3085.jpg

dsc3080l.jpg

dsc3089z.jpg

OK, got distracted.

Pleasantries first:

Well what can I say, you folks continue to be one fine bunch of outstanding and interesting folk. There, doesn't that feel nice?

Business:

Things left behind - A brown velour Animal Planet blanket. Judging from the hair it was stolen from the family cat. My grandson is using it now (yes, I washed it) but if you want it back let me know before the next fest, or your cat can contact me directly on my cell.

Parking - A problem bordering on cluster intercourse. From a logistical standpoint the only useful idea I have is this:
Early arrivals offload gear and park at the overflow lot, leaving the main lot open for new arrivals. I can't think of any other effective thing to do. Others are welcome to chime in with suggestions, but keep in mind I am completely uninterested in what is fair, only in what works.

Dedicated Listening Area(s) - Yes this is possible on the second floor.
There is an unused room; roughly 20'x20', totally enclosed, has air conditioning, plenty of outlets. Best of all, this room is totally pink!!!
If the rental status does not change it will be available for our use. I expect everyone to wear Mary Kay.
There are also a couple of common areas we could use. We would need more blanket forts like Jon brought, but they are far enough removed from each other to make it work. I think everyone using a blanket fort should bring a flashlight to make scary faces.
Practical use of the second floor requires use of the elevator, which raises liability issues. I'm certain Jim, Don and I can coordinate a solution.

Last is personal stuff:

Thanks to Peter, Jim, Don of course.
Stephanie, LexDM3 Jamil for the seminar work. Didn't get to see any of them but heard much enthusiastic feedback.
And the food, oh my :) How easily heaven is obtained with flour, salt, yeast, pasta, sauce, salmon, sugar, time, pepper and fine coffee. Oh, and beer and apple wine. This phenomena may explain recent ecumenical retirements is my thinking; kneading beats....well, never mind.
Bostone, glad everything worked out. Don's advice was good. Don't forget to give me some measurements so I can make you some whatsits.
Retroman, I'm going to enjoy that strip steak this weekend, Peter and I will get together at my place to grill and watch Blade Runner on the big TV.
We ended up two cases of beer to the good and we are living large :banana:

And thanks once again to the first arrival, who walks in the door with a big smile and a hale good morning. It's a great way to start the day. Thank you John.

See you next time.

Almost forgot. How about bumper stickers for gimmies? Something like "This car breaks for Audio Gear" or, god forbid, "No, they aren't too big. Displacement matters"
I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Ok, who is good with map software and can do a layout of the area with available parking lots and lots to avoid?

PS - I was the jerk walking around with a 1960's Minolta lens on a new mirrorless Sony NEX-6.

Kinda like a computer and DAC connected to a 1960s tube amp. Nothing wrong with that. Or if there is, I'm doing some wrong too!

LexDM3 has given me an idea for the next gathering. He recently put together a system that was all sold around the same time. I believe it was in the early 70's. It might be fun to put together a few systems based around time frames, meaning 60's, 70's etc.
Thoughts?

i didn't get to ask any questions about this setup. the sound, in a near field arrangement, was amazing.

are these miniFonken speakers from P10?

what's all the other stuff?

please elaborate!

That was my pile of stuff... I am so glad you liked the noise it made!
The top pair are mMar-Ken6p and are indeed from Planet-10. I got them as a flat pack kit with the Alpair 6ps. The bottom pair are Fostex FF125WKeN again from Dave at P-10 but the boxes are prototypes from a guy who goes by dougbo at diyAudio, he is from DC. He is working on the side ported design, like the Fonken stuff, just different! The tube gear on one side is a BottleHead "Crack w/ Speedball" headphone amp, the pile in black is my music-box PC with a CAL Audio Alpha DAC and a DTI on top of that, in front of that in blue is an AMB Gamma 2 DAC and in sliver a Min^3 headphone amp, next is my diy integrated with a Pass B-1 buffer, a pair of Pass Amp Camp mono blocks and an ODAC and then my laptop. Dn the other side of the aisle was my Nak PA-7.

I know I got carried away, but it was my first gathering, I just could not help myself! I had no idea there were this many audio folks around this area!!

Again many many thanks to Frank, Jim, Peter, and Don for putting on such and outstanding event!! And a big hi and hello to all the really great folks I met. Wow just wow!!!

Back
Top Bottom