New ESS AMT LTD Edition

Baron1

Hey everyone.

Can someone who has heard or has the ESS AMT 1 series speakers please critique the sound from them. I am looking at the new revised version http://esslabsusa.com/product/amtlimitededition/#prettyPhoto and hope someone can give me their impressions.
I know these aren't quite the same as the originals, but what are your opinions please. Not interested in the Rock monitors, just the old pyramid style with 12" woofers. Were the originals just as high efficient? What was the overall sound like?

Thanks,
Dan

Thanks MarZutra,
I am interested in perhaps getting the new Ltd version ESS has out, but it wont be for a while. They really appeal to me. The specs seem quite good too.

I had an original pair of ESS AMT1 pedestals, but there was no passive and the woofer was a deep throw custom built by ESS 10 inch using a 12 inch cage. It used transmission line reflex port out of the bottom. They sounded really really good. I liked them best matched with a NAD C 372 integrated, but they sounded very good with a Yamaha M-40, Kenwood Supreme 500 and a few others. They need a good bit of power for the bass to sound right. They got down pretty low. My wife liked them better than the AMT 1aM towers we had.

I have the ESS amt 1a, and they are the favorite vintage speaker that I own. They image like crazy. The highs are the speakers real strength. The bass is more than enough IMO. They make any type of music sound great! I listen to a lot of jazz and rock and they never fail to impress. The ESS have put my ADS L810, L1090, Yamaha ns-690, and Pioneer HPM 1500 all on standby for over a year now. While all those speakers have their own attributes that I like, the ESS just do it right.

I haven;t heard them since they first came out and unfortunately there's no where around to listen to a pair. I like all types of music, mostly 60's 70's rock and jazz. I need to save some money first but these are definitely on my short list.

.Not interested in the Rock monitors, just the old pyramid style with 12" woofers.
Thanks,
Dan
The Rock Monitor Club is a pretty exclusive. So much so, in fact, that we had to merge with the Transar club just so we could use the carpool lane.

I had then for a number of years and they have great imagine and deep sound stage. The big ass Heil is crystal clear. However, to ears and many others they take the Heil down to low and there is a lack of timber and richness in the midrange.

Even ESS designed their last model with a 8 inch midrange driver but it never came to market.

Even ESS designed their last model with a 8 inch midrange driver but it never came to market.
A fellow AK'r spoke with Ricardo at ESS a short while back, and I quote/paraphrase: "Rick said he was not interested in 3-ways."
I assume he was talking about speakers, and not a tryst with multiple beach beauties. Which is a shame as technical progress has generated speakers more capable of meeting up with the best tweeter in the business.

I run the AMT-1 tweeter as a super-tweeter in a three way system. Since it is a dipole presentation, it can add a lot of air and imaging on the top end.

Yeah, DJ, similar here. I actually have a love--hate relationship going with them. I like what they do but I'm always fiddling with the active crossover to get just the correct amount of dipolishness going. :rolleyes:
FWIW, I cross them in at about 9khz. My 802g Altec drivers reach way above that and the horns really slam the sound so I like to keep that going up high, too.

Yeah, DJ, similar here. I actually have a love--hate relationship going with them. I like what they do but I'm always fiddling with the active crossover to get just the correct amount of dipolishness going. :rolleyes:
FWIW, I cross them in at about 9khz. My 802g Altec drivers reach way above that and the horns really slam the sound so I like to keep that going up high, too.
Isn't 9-10K where the Heil begins it's downward slide on the frequency graph? I thought I saw a graph somewhere that had their usable range at 1.2 to 12K, kind of like a high midrange. I would figure that one of the physically smaller offerings from Dayton or Mundorf would make a better "supertweeter".

Isn't 9-10K where the Heil begins it's downward slide on the frequency graph? I thought I saw a graph somewhere that had their usable range at 1.2 to 12K, kind of like a high midrange. I would figure that one of the physically smaller offerings from Dayton or Mundorf would make a better "supertweeter".
It plays a lot higher than that. Like mentioned, crossed in at 9khz.
Frequency measured by AK member Markus 111:http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-great-great-heil-diy-speakers.89511/

Last edited:
I recently bought back my ESS AMT 1 Speakers. Matched them up on Friday night with a Mitsubishi DA-A10DC with a restored McIntosh c-24, and they all sounded beautiful together! I think this is the best I've heard them sound. Unfortunately, I sold my c-24 on Saturday, before I could spend more time with them together. Running them right now with a Kenwood KA-701, which isn't bad, but not close to the Mitsubishi.

Back
Top Bottom