New from SE Michigan

Welcome from Berkley.

I expect to see some of you locals at a SMAC meeting. Don't make me send kegger to your houses after a night of beer and coney dawgs.... :)

The Marantz 2275 is one gorgeous beast isn't she. I have a mint one too and love it . Welcome to the forum!

xia I'm from Macomb Twp. near Lakeside mall and I am planning on getting back into vinyl and Dan are you the same Dantheman from the Hawthorne site?

If you're shopping for vinyl, here are my favorite places...

Record Graveyard
10201 Joseph Campau, Hamtramck MI 48212
(313) 870-9647 - Daily 11am to 7pm - Closed Sunday

Solo Music & Collectibles
30118 Woodward, Royal Oak MI 48073 (12 1/2 Mile, next to Taylor Doors)
(248) 549-0581 - Mon thru Fri 11am-8pm - Sat 11am-6pm - Sun 12-5pm

Car City Records
21918 Harper Ave St Clair Shores MI 48080
586-775-4770

Melodies & Memories
23013 Gratiot Ave, Eastpointe, MI 48021
586-774-8480

If you head out to Record Graveyard plan on being in there for a couple of hours at least. He's packed to the rafters with vinyl! The only thing I don't like about it is most of the stuff isn't priced. It's best just to grab what you want and then he'll put it in piles by price for you when you go to check out. That way you can decide which ones you want and which ones you don't. He's usually very reasonable with the prices, though.

Solo also carries some vintage equipment. I've seen some nice stuff in there on occasion, including a Thorens. He has a pretty nice section of dollar records as well. The staff is very helpful and friendly. If you have any questions, they'll be more than happy to help you.

Car City has been around forever and has one of the best selections of vinyl in the area. He's got a massive section of dollar albums as well. Like Record Graveyard, plan on being in here a while. The wife absolutely hates when I make her go with me. ;)

Melodies & Memories is nothing short of a music archive. If you are looking something (CD or vinyl) chances are it's in the store. With vinyl, it may take some digging to get to it because everything is stored uner the CD racks so low to the ground that you'll be squatting or sitting in very narrow aisles. Leg cramps are frequent. The owners know their stuff so it's priced accordingly. You might not find the deals you'd get elsewhere but this is your best bet for finding specific titles you are looking for.

I didn't mention the two Record Time stores because everyone seems to know about them and their vinyl selection has been dwindling down lately. The Record Collector, across the street from Record Time in downtown Ferndale has a lot of stuff too but his prices and vinyl quality vary. There's also Flipside Records on 14 Mile & Main in Royal Oak but they are turning into more of a collectibles store.

I'd be curious if anyone else in the area knows of other good places or has comments about the stores I mentioned above.

And, again, welcome to AudioKarma. I'm fairly new too but I already love the place. I've found so much useful information here already it should be a crime. :D

Your story is very interesting as probably most of us have had similar growth experiences (as my shrink would say) in our journeys. Welcome aboard one of the most courteous, diverse, sincere audio groupings around. Check out the AKFEST each year as well as some of the audio clubs like SMAC.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom