New Game, name a tool!

Do you have a set of Diddlers? Hope I spelled it right. Nylon adjusting tools for tube tv's so you could set up the color without metal tools.

a slick :yes:
caulking mallet :no:
wire gauge :yes:
saw tooth jointer & spider Not sure, I could not google any images for anything except a Saw tooth Jointer (That would be a no), is the spider a "Saw toot Spider" or something else?
saw wrest :no:
swaging hammer :yes:

It's a plumbing tool.
Use = eg: 1/2" tubing to connect to a toilet cistern, these days you will use a kingco nut and compression washer.

Croxon tool, you would slip the nut on the tube first, then the croxon tool would slip into the tube, 3 ball bearings rotate inside the tube, slowly expanding and putting a bulge in the tube to stop the nut from coming off. After removing the tool, wrap some hemp around the bulge, to take the place of the nylon, then tighen it up to seal the tube up against the 1/2" nipple.

Not sure of any other name for this tool.

Hows about one of these?

920_Deburring_Tool.jpg

...saw tooth jointer & spider Not sure, I could not google any images for anything except a Saw tooth Jointer (That would be a no), is the spider a "Saw toot Spider" or something else?...

picture003jj.th.jpg

picture006vm.th.jpg

picture005jh.th.jpg

The first photo is a spider in place on a saw tooth. It it used with a feeler gauge to make sure the saw's teeth are all set the same. I only have this because it came with one of the jointers. They are easy enough to make - a small block of wood & 4 screws. A saw wrest is used to set big saw teeth like these. Alternately, a swaging hammer, and a "stake" (a small anvil with a point that can be driven into a log to hold the anvil) were commonly used to set teeth before filing them sharp. Also, some wrests have a small hammer on them, so one does not need to carry any more tools than minimum to keep tools sharp in the field.

The second photo shows two saw tooth jointers in position on a saw blade (a VERY nice old Disston back saw, by the way). The purpose is to file the all the teeth to an even height, the first step in sharpening. Also in the second photo is a saw vise (holding the back saw). The third photo is a better picture of the vise and saw. The jointer to the right has an integral raker gauge as well. Used to make sure all the raker teeth are below the cutting teeth by the same amount. The saw in the first photo has rakers - they're the teeth with the v- notch in them

Have you got a saw vice? Indispensable if you sharpen your own hand saws.

Great thread. It sounds like you've got a really cool shop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input on the saw sharpening. I also found a web site from the USFS of all places, that had a couple of really good tutorials on the process. Interesting because I have 3 of the big saws.

Have you got a saw vice? :yes:.

Great thread. It sounds like you've got a really cool shop.

Well I'd hesitate to call it a shop any longer. Maybe later this summer if I can get the new storage shed built and the thing emptied a bit. The plan is to build a 7.5 X 16 shed using recycled garage doors as the primary material (as well as recycled, doors, windows, a skylight, and a solar lighting system), and have it look a little like an old fashioned barn. Most of the cost should be for roofing materials. I don’t want to skimp there…

Last edited:
Tool guy, eh? You probably have some of these but this guy has some interesting stuff: David Stanley auctions

I LOVE the old antique stuff, and pick them up when I can and the price is right. I can't afford/justify the collectors costs on these the auction houses get. I've lucked into a few nice deals in the past 2 years or so. :yes: But I can honestly say I only had maybe 4 tools that matched or came close to that listing you posted. but the antique collection is growing.

Back
Top Bottom