New Gigabeat MEGF40

VinylHanger

Navigaret ex ironia
Last night at our company party, the supervisors/crew leaders all received these Gigabeat MEGF40's as a Christmas gift from the company's owner. He had bought one and was enjoying the heck out of it. Actually it was the start of my earlier thread on starting looking at computer speakers and now we are looking at Maggies for him. :D

Well, late today I finally got over my hangover and decided to play around with it. I have been loading music on it all night at full cd quality. I haven't given it a thorough workout yet, but tomorrow we will be using it in the truck. No cd player so I use a cassette adapter. It is a bit hairy to change cd's as you drive through the mountains, so this ought to be killer for that.

As for what this thing can do, it is great. Pictures from my camera, various forms of compression and non-compression and a 40 gig hard drive. I've never been an MP3 fan, but if I can use it to put my cd collection to better use, I'm all for the players. Besides, I think that in a portable listening environment, high bitrate MP3's may not be as bad as I had thought.

The Gigaroom software is pretty simple to use and does it's thing in the background while I surf. I'll post a bit more later in the week as to my impressions of sound quality and general coolness.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised- I use my ipod the same way in my truck. Put it on album shuffle and let it play.

I did a bit of listening last night and realized the headphones have a lot to do with decent sound. I have some 20 buck Jensens I got for half off and they seem to suck, but the earbuds that came with it are much better, cleaner sounding. Now I gotta find a pair of decent yet "cheap" over the head phones. Seems like all the ones I see are those behind the ear/head type. and well though I possess very little in my head, I have a large box on top of my shoulders and those things won't go around it.

Also the software I thought was wonderful is pretty crappy. I can't find any way to get full wav files on it yet. but it was 1 am when I tried it, so I'll keep looking. I do love gadgets, so this is fun no matter what.

Edit: seems like a)I'm a dumbass, or b)I had a bad version of Media player. I'll take that one. But I figured it out. Now to redo the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom