New Grado Black2

Hi All, I got two weeks ago Grado Blue2. Result: I like it much more than Grado Red1 because it sounds more open, highs are much more present, better defined bass, more transparent sound and still perfect middle. I think also tracking is a way better than predecessor. All advantages I liked on Nagaoka MP-110 are now in Blue2 with other Grado advantages (like wide soundstage, details).

I installed my 8MZ in my Black2 a couple of days ago. Haven't had a lot of time to audition but from what little I've heard I like it. Need to play some familiar music. Will post more as I get into this.
Thank you Lorenzo47, I will wait for your impressions.

OK, here we go...

The turntable is my c.1964 AR-TX, extensively hotrodded by @marcmorin , and the phono stage is my '59 Fisher X-100 with '58 long black plate RCA 12AX7's. To get the impedance right, there is an FX Audio tube buffer with GE tubes between the Fisher and my Tascam DR40 recorder. The files are all 24/96 FLACs.

First up is "Midnight Blue" by Kenny Burrell, from the Blue Note album of the same name, from a '90s(?) Classic Records reissue.

Grado Signature 8M w/ 8MZ stylus:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r8g0w8rq9l47r8/KB_8M.flac?dl=0

Grado Black1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzq6ntyo641stgg/KB_B1.flac?dl=0

Grado Black2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o46406krwfbuswz/KB_B2.flac?dl=0

Next is "Venus" from the Olympians' self-titled album, a Daptone release from a couple of years ago.

Grado Signature 8M w/ 8MZ stylus:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/183c4qj1atgoiz2/Oly-8M.flac?dl=0

Grado Black1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmooomcwsfhbtbe/Oly-B1.flac?dl=0

Grado Black2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0jct7qoewm47uq/Oly-B2.flac?dl=0

Let the discussion begin!

Excellent post! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
I prefer the 8m/8mz over the black 2, but not by as much as I expected.
Black 1 is a clear third place.

Nice music too!

Okay, I've had a chance to listen to the samples several times. I'm sticking with my first impressions posted above.

1- I dig the Grado sound. My best sounding Grado is a humble F1+ with original stylus.
2- I need to get both of those music selections! :D
3- I suck at describing what I hear with words. For me, the Black 2 definitely sounds better than the Black 1- which is good news!
I guess I would describe the Black 1 as being more "congested" and less "airy"--God that was painful! I love how marcmorin says
the 2 " has the bass back beside the drum kit". I can totally hear that.
4- I need to bite the bullet and buy an 8mz stylus.

I've been watching this thread for a while...thinking about buying a Black2 in p-mount. I've got a Blue 1 with an 8MZ stylus (used less than 20 hours) that is just sitting in a drawer. I like it, but it doesn't "wow" me like a couple others I have. I'm thinking that a Black2 with the 8MZ might just be the ticket.

Okay, I've had a chance to listen to the samples several times. I'm sticking with my first impressions posted above.

1- I dig the Grado sound. My best sounding Grado is a humble F1+ with original stylus.

The F1+ was the top company model, and at the time only surpassed by the Signature 1. If the stone on the end is still in good shape, it should be a fine sounding cart. Generally the F1, G1 preferred a light arm with damping

2- I need to get both of those music selections! :D

Oh hell yeah!

R-1208022-1328398444.jpeg.jpg
R-9266920-1495731263-8830.jpeg.jpg

OK, I've had my 8MZ installed in my Black2 now for several days and have had a chance to play a variety of favorite jazz albums of mine. Not surprisingly, I find find the combination superior. A bit better separation and a smoother and extended top end. The combination retains the slam of the bottom end and the beautiful mids that Grados are known for.

What is a bit surprising is that the stock stylus is not that far behind the 8MZ. Granted, my 8MZ is bonded and I would guess that the nude would be better but then I don't know for sure. I got mine for $100 before the price increase. And, I have four other Grado bodies that I can use it in. The big question is - would I shell out $150 today? Maybe.

I'm not sure I've been of any help to those that asked for this review. It's still a personal decision and some of it depends on the rest of your system. My vintage 1969 AR3a's still have their original tweeters and they do have output. I have rebuilt the crossovers and installed new level controls. My AR's do not have the HF output of other, more modern speakers and on top of that I'm saddled with 71 year old ears. The treble is definitely improved in my system with the 8MZ. I can't call it startling but it's there.

Last edited:
I'm really warming to the Black2. It's currently my cartridge of choice. Love the bass, the soundstage, and the way it renders vocals.
I might try a Red stylus in it when the OE wears out but I don't know that it's necessary.

Is the Black2 a good match for Sony PS-LX5?
I do believe your table has a low mass arm so I would suspect that the Black2 would be an excellent choice for your Sony. I own both the Black2 and the Gold2 and they're both wonderful on my AR XA. I run them both at 1.60 to 1.65 grams with no anti-skate of course as my table has no anti-skating. I run mine slightly tail-up.

When it comes to compliance, cartridge weight and tonearm matching, I've not found issues when I go outside the norm. I have a Grado blue that has been longhorned and potted with epoxy, and run it on my PLX-1000. It runs well, no Grado dance, no suspension issues at 1.5g, it's a good combination. Alternately, I have a paradox-pulsed Shure sc35c on my U-Turn Orbit, running at 4.5g, a cart and VTF combo that one might think would be a terrible combo for the light U-Turn tonearm. Again, it sounds great, tracks beautifully, no issues. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Perhaps DavidTT. I ran my Grado's in my table fitted with a Jelco tonearm for the longest time and was pleased. On a whim I mounted my Gold2 on my stock AR XA table with a lower mass arm than the Jelco, Holy Sh*t what a difference! I believe I'll stick with my Denon in my Jelco and leave the Grado in my AR.

Perhaps DavidTT. I ran my Grado's in my table fitted with a Jelco tonearm for the longest time and was pleased. On a whim I mounted my Gold2 on my stock AR XA table with a lower mass arm than the Jelco, Holy Sh*t what a difference! I believe I'll stick with my Denon in my Jelco and leave the Grado in my AR.
not so much the mass............................we'll discus that when you get here.............;)

Another convert, eh, Marc?

A couple of nights ago, I put my Dual 1019 fitted with a Black2 into my main system, alongside my marcmorinized AR fitted with a Grado Signature 8MR w/8MZ stylus. My thinking was it would be a good idea to have a turntable set up with a less expensive stylus ($150 vs. $50) for when I'm just listening to music in the background. (The fully auto Dual is also handy when I've had a little too much, uh, enjoyment.)

Putting aside the relative differences between the two turntables, the Black2 provides a very satisfying listening experience coming off the more advanced 8MR. Its bass performance in terms of depth and texture is extraordinary at this price point. It tracks wonderfully, and like most Grados, it's a real tone king.

What it mainly gives up to the more expensive models is finer detail and spaciousness, but that's a sin of omission rather than commission. It's a cartridge that knows its limits and plays to its strengths, and that makes it a real bargain for $75. Someone with a modest system could easily be set for life and want for nothing more than what the Grado Black2 provides.

I do believe your table has a low mass arm so I would suspect that the Black2 would be an excellent choice for your Sony. I own both the Black2 and the Gold2 and they're both wonderful on my AR XA. I run them both at 1.60 to 1.65 grams with no anti-skate of course as my table has no anti-skating. I run mine slightly tail-up.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom