New Grado Black2

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Jeff K, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Straker62

Straker62 Member

In fact it will be really interesting to compare a new prestige 2 body with oldest ones through 8MZ stylus that is surely a very revealing one. Theorically it will be able to tell to the listener if the new prestige 2 line is really near to the old bodies.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

That's exactly what I have in mind... Black 1 and 2 with native styli vs. with 8MZ stylus vs. Signature 8M. I may even throw the ZC+ into the mix.

At any rate, the new Black2 on my BIC is sounding very nice. It's a helluva nice cart for $75, although its lush presentation may not appeal to everyone, and that's fine. But what it does well, it does REALLY well. The music envelopes the listener like a warm bath with this Grado, and it has that classic Grado depth of soundstage that many of us like.

3. marcmorin

marcmorin AK Subscriber Subscriber

post man says you should see the Black-1 Monday

beatcomber likes this.
  4. olddude55

olddude55 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anybody here think the Black 2 is a good match for an old Dual 1019? I 've got two vacant cartridge sleds...

doctor fuse and DavidTT like this.
  5. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

Absolutely, Grados work great on Dual 1019s. No hum either.

I'm actually thinking of moving the Black2 over to my 1019, and just using a Shure on the BIC.

DavidTT and DaveyW like this.
  6. olddude55

At $75, what could possibly go wrong?

DavidTT likes this.

7. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

A dead channel, perhaps...? :idea:

DaveyW likes this.
  8. olddude55

Yeah, there's that. What's the best place to order for returns if necessary? Direct from Grado, if that's possible?

9. needlestein

needlestein AK Subscriber Subscriber

I still would not hesitate to buy another one. Grado has taken care of every one of the problems that have been mentioned here. I have bought three of them right at the beginning and mine had no problems. They are fantastic cartridges and I could easily live with the Prestige Black2 as my last cartridge forever.

10. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

Grado sells them direct (under the name "4OurEars") on Amazon. In the event of problems, you can either return it via Amazon or do what I did, call Grado on the phone and request a warranty exchange. They sent me a new one immediately.

Certainly, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do get a bad one, there is little hassle involved.

11. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

The Black2 on the BIC is no competition for the Grado 8M on on my @marcmorin AR, but it's not really a fair fight; the AR table is head and shoulders superior to the BIC.

Once the package from Marc with the spare headshell arrives, I'm very curious to see how the Black2 fares against the 8M on the AR. That should be very revealing.

Straker62 and tnsmnichols like this.

12. bobins08

bobins08 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The whole competition with the AR would allow all cartridges to be evaluated at peak levels (or close to it).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    beatcomber likes this.
  13. tnsmnichols

tnsmnichols Member

I eagerly await this comparison.
    Thanks in advance for sharing!
    :lurk:

Straker62 and beatcomber like this.
  14. Lorenzo47

Lorenzo47 Well-Known Member

I have a Black2 that John Grado sent me with a stylus that had about 70 hours on it. I think it's pretty damn good, especially for the money. I also have an 8MZ stylus that I thought I stick in the Black2 to see if it was an improvement over the stock stylus. One problem - I can't get the stock stylus out! Never encountered this with a Grado before. Going to have to ask John about this.

15. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

We certainly don't want any more busted shells!

Lorenzo47 likes this.
  16. Lorenzo47

I'm wondering if this one is glued in.

17. needlestein

Probably glued in. It was recommended back in the day to glue the styli in to defeat resonance. The wood body Grados have the usual Grado styli, but they are glued into place after some modification to the plastic carrier (the color tabs are cut off). Every now and then, I buy a used Grado and find that the stylus is glued into place. I would definitely call John.

18. Lorenzo47

You learn something new every day. I've never owned a woody Grado and I didn't know that the stylus was glued into place. I guess I won't be trying my 8MZ in that Black2 after all.

DavidTT likes this.
  19. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

I find it hard to believe that Grado is glueing in the Black2 stylus.

DavidTT likes this.
  20. needlestein

Given that the cartridge was one that John himself was using, I just figured that it could have been that he glued it in himself for his own uses--maybe it's the way they do it when they are assessing the cartridge's capabilities. I already know that the Grado Black2 styli are not glued into place for the ones that are packaged and sold to the public.

DavidTT likes this.