New guy from N.H.

Notarex

Hi everyone- I've been lurking recently and figured I'd join up. Here's my story:

Back in 93-ish when I went off to school I picked up some new low end pioneer components and JBL bookshelf speakers. I was satisfied with this for 20 years, when a chain of events led me to where I'm at now. I found a monster Yamaha AV receiver in the garbage and brought it home, replacing my Pioneer and promptly blew a speaker during the first listen. I headed down to the pawn shop to find replacements, and found these huge strange speakers with green grills. They spoke to me, so I loaded the heavy bastards into my car, handed the man $100 and took them home. From the first few notes my world changed, I had no idea music could sound so good. The speakers were Klipsch Forte I's, and after some research it seems I got a good deal.

Recently my wife complained that she couldn't hear voices well when watching TV, so I volunteered my AV receiver and picked up some Klipsch bookshelves and a center channel. That leaves my Forte's without something to drive them, so I've been relying on AK knowledge to choose a suitable vintage receiver for strictly music listening. I started a thread detailing that quest in the S.S. forum http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/2x-receivers-which-to-keep.854446/

I live in an equipment desert in central NH, seems tough to find a decent deal. I have an electrical background (previously as a UL MTR and currently building/wiring UAVs) so I'm pretty good at fixing stuff. I hope to be able to contribute and help out!

Last edited:
howdy, from the Upper Valley.

f4a5e4c57c4ffe317f6026a6c45df056.jpg

besides AK, here are three fast approaching, reasonably local to you resources/opportunities for buying (and/or selling) stuff. :) We're here for you, buddy! :cool:

* NEARC (New England Antique Radio Club) is transitioning to NEVEC (New England Vintage Electronics Club) in an attempt to increase interest/membership, and will likely be including ever more old computers and hifi in the mix of swap meet vendors :)

Last edited:
Welcome from the southern flatlands, y'all. Boy, that was a great speaker find! There are lots of good threads here that talk about vintage receivers (or separates- amp/ tuner). I'd check out craigslist on a regular basis. I see plenty of gear listed from up your way. Pawn shops as you have already found out, sometimes have nice vintage gear.

If you become a subscriber on AK, you have access to Bartertown where you can buy and sell components. Many are rebuilt and have experienced sellers who know how to pack and ship. I hope you have fun here.

Back
Top Bottom