New guy here

Merlinblue

Hi everyone, I `v been reading your forum and decided it was time to buy some memories. I had a Marantz 2270 that I bought new in the mid 70`s. I sold it to a friend and have regretted it since. well I just got a 2275 off Ebay everythig works except one channel on the headphone jack. Face is like new it has the original plastic protection cover on it! Of course this led me to buy a new set of speakers.... after reading the forums I purchased the B&W DM 602 S3`s I must admitt they sound really good. Now to set my credit card on fire I just got A 2270 on the way and a 2230 coming also. I have a tendency to go over board on things I like.
Next I just won a 1060 Amp, Any suggestions on which tuner would best mate up with the amp? and which type of deoxit should I get?? Thanks for helping me spend all my overtime money!! Jim

Welcome to AK Merlinblue! I wish I was old enough to have bought Marantz gear new...unfortunately the era of good gear ended 7yrs before I was born! I'm playing catchup now :D

Does the bad channel on the headphones work fine on your speakers? Might be a resistor in the headphones circuit or a solder joint. Nice score in that condition....I want a 2275 (and a 2285B and 2330B for that matter) but just can't drop the cash for one right now. I need to move a few things out before that happens.

Nice choice of speakers, I had a pair of DM602S2's that I sold to my dad a couple years ago. I auditioned quite a few different brands and models (crazy when I was 15 at the time) and found the B&W's suited my tastes the best. I wish I could go for the S3's, unfortunately the real world hit and the cash disappeared so I'm on a used pair of JBL L26's now that are serving me pretty well for the time being. An acquaintance of mine collects vintage Tannoy coaxials and I must say when I have the means I'm finding a pair for sure.

If you search around on here, you'll find that the 1060 and 1060B are highly regarded for their matching of preamp and power amp sections. I have a 1060B, it was my first Marantz piece and I'm not getting rid of it. Great performer that really surprises at the 30wpc rating. As far as matching tuners go, a 105 would probably do well with your 1060. I had a 115B hooked up to mine that was worth more than the integrated and probably overkill, but it did sound sweet.

I can't speak for DeOxit as I haven't used it myself - too pricey for me, but I have used MG Chemicals Nu-trol quite a bit which is pretty much the same at a lower price. Has lubricating oils in it just like Deoxit, worked very effectively on many units I've cleaned up. I'd complement it with some faderlube on my keeper units, again this is available from other brands than Caig. If you are insistent on going the Deoxit route, D5 is the general purpose solution that many use.

When I was looking for a tuner, I was told that any of the tuners with the 1**, like the 104, 105, 110, 115 . . . would be the right size and have the right faceplate for a 1060. The 104 is the lowest-end model and they go up by number.

I got a 110, which looks perfect with my 1060. If only it hadn't gotten dog-eared in shipping. :tears: It also sounds fantastic.

I don't have the phone jack problem, but I have thought about spraying some deoxit on a Q-tip and swabbing around inside the jacks, to clean them up a bit. I haven't yet, because I'm not 100% sure that it would be prudent or helpful. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in on that one.

Caig sells an assortment of Deoxit products, it is p/n SK-AV35, usually about $30.00 from most vendors. Not cheap, but it will probably last you quite awhile. and the more goodies you buy, the more you will need this stuff...

Back
Top Bottom