new guy here

hifibud

Hello out there ! Just joined yesterday.

I became re-interested in old fisher tube equipment recently after I set up some EV regency's, with reconed drivers etc. I was disapointed with the sound from them and wondered why - I was using a late model receiver.

My first hifi experience was with fisher tube equipment when I was kid in the 60's/70's. My dad had a fisher 400 preamp and SA-100 powering some home built base reflex cabinets using EV speakers. I remember him tuning the ports using a frequency generator and a volt ohm meter ! I would kill to have his old fisher stuff, my brother pitched it over 20 years ago :thumbsdn: :tears:. Long gone!

Dad's gone but Mom still has the home built EV cabinets ! :thmbsp:

Anyway, I now have an X 202B and an FM 100B which craig at NOS valves rebuilt, which are running the regency's. What a difference - The sound and feel is back which I missed for going on 30 years. :tresbon:

I'll be lurking around asking questions every so often. Looking forward to some fun discussions !

Welcome, HifiBud! I'd get those enclosures from your Mom if I could. You can get certain speaker elements fairly cheaply direct from EV that are called "replacement", that have no nomenclature on the magnets or cones. Or you used to could do that. For sure, it could be well worth checking into. I ordered 15 inch EV "replacement" woofers twice. A pair for me, and a pair for a friend.

mulester - the cabinets still have the ev drivers in them. God forbid - when the time comes, I will get them back and have the drivers reconed as needed ! Thanks for the tip about the replacement drivers !

Welcome to AK! :music:

I love the old EVs, I have a single Aristocrat in a mono system. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom