New guy, M4 problems, help!

g.dipstick

Hello, been lurking for a bit and have been impressed with all the audio knowledge here.

I just picked up a Yamaha M4 for cheap from the original owner. He said it was working but it's not. It was in his shop for years and was filthy inside so I used the MachineGhost method of cleaning and got it nice and shiny! thanks for the writeup btw.

The DC idle voltage on the left channel is intermittent jumping from around 0 to .6 and somtimes to a bit above 1.0v. I don't know much about electronics so any help diagnosing would be very much appresicated! I haven't plugged it into any speakers, figured that probably wouldn't be good. haha. I can't wait to get this thing workin!
Thanks,

Grant
ps, my brother is BrianR

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

Hey Grant, welcome aboard bro!

Dang, that thing really was dirty. The outside looks super clean though. Hopefully one of the resident gurus will be along shortly to help you out. 'Cause I have no clue, lol.

You should post a couple pics of it apart.

"Avionic to the white courtesy phone, Avionic to the white courtesy phone please."

I loooooove my M-4:music:

That has got to be the filthiest M-4 I've ever seen.

Does it stay in protect mode..Do you hear any relay click?With all that dirt its probably got predriver,driver or output transistor issues.

Last edited:
That first picture, just wow. :tears: Hopefully you get it up & running, the M4 is a very nice amp. Happy M4 owner here.

Back
Top Bottom