New guy, not really though.

wdecho

I have been a member for a number of years but have not actively done any, or very little postings.

I own Klipsch LaScala speakers, bought new in '86 and a diy amplifier builder. I have do not know the exact number I have built over the years but I am sure it has been over 30. Right now I have 7 Firstwatt clones up and running, BA-1, BA-2, M2, F3, V-fet, F5 and a version of the F7, schematic has not been officially posted. I also have built many other SS amplifiers but prefer class A. I also have built many tube amplifiers. My latest last month being a single ended KT-88 one based on Abdullahs schematic. I look forward to participating on this forum more in the future.

Attachments

• P1030808.JPG
    P1030808.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Welcome back.

Please share more details about your Amp building and your experiences

I am a dedicated believer in Class A, not that other classes can and do sound great as well. I have built may Class D amplifiers over the years and consider the Texas Instruments TPA 3255 to be the best reasonable priced one now available. It is one I would be perfectly happy using if it were my only amplifier. I have 2 of them, the TI TPA 3255 board and one of the Chinese clones selling on Ebay for around $60. I really cannot tell much if any difference in sound between the two. I do expect the TI board to last longer but it may not be the case. I built linear power supply's for both of them over switchers. Probably for no other reason that being old fashion, 69 years old. The only A/B amplifier I have up and running is a Gainclone and it does have a nice sound but I have not used for a couple of years. For the retail market class D is going to surpass A/B amplifier sales. I love my SET tube amplifiers. I have a number of them. A SET 45, a SET 300B, a SET tubelab EL-34, two SET GU-50 ones, the SET KT88 shown and some other ones that I would have to go look at to name. Having very efficient horns I can enjoy 5 watt SET amplifiers. I am an admitted Nelson Pass groupie studying every thing he has published along with any new circuit he presents. The difference in sound between a SE class A amplifier and a SET tube amplifier is very little. Subtle differences but that can be said about any amplifier no matter the kind. All amplifiers have subtle differences even in the better ones. I do prefer horns. I recently tried a very well rated full range speaker in an open baffle setup using my LaScala bass bin for the lows but it was just not my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with it other than losing some details. In fact a friend of mine with a very good ear preferred the full range speaker in the setup over my horns. He does not particular like the horn sound.

Beautiful Woodwork and everything else about that amplifier that you built it looks very well engineered and put together

Glad you decided to start participating.

It's more fun for you when you join in!

BTW, nice looking amp.

Back
Top Bottom