new guy on the block

sarpilot

Hi everyone, new to the page. Almost feel embarrassed to put up my budget system as compared to all this high end gear on this thread. I'm kind of a bottom feeder on the page but hear goes. Sherwood rx4109 receiver, $90.00 at Radio Shack, Onkyo dx c390 cd changer, $129.00 at Best Buy, Polk Audio monitor 30, Polk Audio psw10 subwoofer, $190.00 for both on the Polk Audio eBay website. Audio Technica at LP60 USB $95.00 on eBay. LP gear stylus and belt upgrade for the at LP60, $40.00. Total $544.00 all items purchased new, no used gear. I know this isn't a real to shelf system but as a retired military helicopter pilot whose hearing isn't the best at age 60 it sure sounds good to me. Thanks for the welcome!!

A big howdy from Texas and welcome to the AK forums. It's all about enjoying the music, and not how much you spent.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Once my daughter shows me how to post pictures I'll send some. Looking forward to listening to your comments and advice. I'll need it when I upgrade in the future. THANKS SARPILOT.

Hi everyone, new to the page. Almost feel embarrassed to put up my budget system as compared to all this high end gear on this thread. I'm kind of a bottom feeder on the page but hear goes. Sherwood rx4109 receiver, $90.00 at Radio Shack, Onkyo dx c390 cd changer, $129.00 at Best Buy, Polk Audio monitor 30, Polk Audio psw10 subwoofer, $190.00 for both on the Polk Audio eBay website. Audio Technica at LP60 USB $95.00 on eBay. LP gear stylus and belt upgrade for the at LP60, $40.00. Total $544.00 all items purchased new, no used gear. I know this isn't a real to shelf system but as a retired military helicopter pilot whose hearing isn't the best at age 60 it sure sounds good to me. Thanks for the welcome!!
That's actually a pretty nice system. I love Polk speakers. Sweet!

That's actually a pretty nice system. I love Polk speakers. Sweet!
I feel you really get a lot of bang for the buck with the Polk Monitor series. Originally wanted the Monitor 40s but I got such a great deal with these 30s I couldn't pass it up. I heard some opinions on youtube that the 30s are preferd over the 40s if you have a sub. Just an opinion I guess. I would really love a set of vintage ESS Tempests and have found some at a reasonable price, but the shipping cost is often as much as the speakers. I am very happy with the sound of this setup.

Welcome to AK.
Tell us where you are located. You can add your location to your profile and it will show up under your avatar. Many of us have spare gear, especially speakers. If someone is local to you, they may even be willing to lend you an extra pair to audition. I'm retired from a company that more than likely made rotary wing motion accommodation parts to keep your helicopter from vibrating into pieces.
That is, unless you were flying for the Russians or Chinese. :rflmao:

Welcome to AK.
Tell us where you are located. You can add your location to your profile and it will show up under your avatar. Many of us have spare gear, especially speakers. If someone is local to you, they may even be willing to lend you an extra pair to audition. I'm retired from a company that more than likely made rotary wing motion accommodation parts to keep your helicopter from vibrating into pieces.
Is that active or passive vibe suppression? I have about equal time in Bell and Sikorsky products.

Welcome to AK.
From Pensacola FL

From Pensacola FL

I spent a couple of months in FLA last winter. The last two weeks were at relatives in Niceville, near Eglin AFB.

Is that active or passive vibe suppression? I have about equal time in Bell and Sikorsky products.

Actually, both, including dampers, tail and rotor bearings, tension-torsion straps, pylon isolators, active vibration control systems, rotor hubs, major sub-assemblies, etc.
Bell and Sikorsky are both civil and military customers of ours. Also, Boeing, Korean Air, HAL, AgustaWestland, and Airbus (Eurocopter), among the larger ones.

None of my systems cost much more than yours, and some are cheaper. The system in my signature was around $400, and it sounds great to me. Enjoy yours. Peace and goodwill.

None of my systems cost much more than yours, and some are cheaper. The system in my signature was around $400, and it sounds great to me. Enjoy yours. Peace and goodwill.[/QUOTE
I think your Insignia receiver is identical internally to my Sherwood RX 4109. A super bargain in audio for around 100.00 . Originally wanted to upgrade to the Onkyo tx8020 to match my CD player but given how good the Sherwood sounds I just can't justify the cost.

Back
Top Bottom