New guy with some vintage receiver problems I'm insistent on fixing.

Barbon

Hello all, I joined this site because I was told this is the place to come on a reddit thread I posted about my problems.

I've got 2 70s pioneer receivers that both have static/crackling in one channel. I'm determined to fix them, but I currently know next to nothing about any of this. All I know is my records sound like crap right now because of the crackling and I'm not made of money so I can't afford to keep buying old gear and then having it crap out on me.

Welcome to the AK.
Not really sure which receivers you have but you might start out by cleaning all of the pots,(volume, balance, tone controls, ect.) It's cheap to get a can of CRC electrical contact cleaner, take the tops off your receivers, squirt it inside of the pots using the red straw supplied with the can, and then rotate them a bunch.
You could also get some Deoxit D5 electric contact cleaner but it does cost more. 7$ vs 15$
There are a lot of threads here that will show you just how to do it.
Start with the easy stuff. You can do this.

Thanks, I actually already deoxied both receivers, and i started a thread in the solid state forum. I’m going to print out the schemaics for both receivers tomorrow and then try to learn how to decipher them.

Likely you’ll need to replace a bunch of inexpensive signal transistors. Common problem.
If you don’t get your answers on the Solid State forum then the Pioneer forum will yield results.

Hello... and welcome!

So.. you have "vintage" issues, some of which are common to older and well built components.

May I assist with what little vintage rebuild know how I have amounted..

First, and I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, :dunno:do determine whether the interference or crackling is Line interference or Radio interference. The "line" as a result of the signal being interrupted or shorted on way to the amp. I suggest you check all patch cords (ohmmeter), connectors at the RCA terminals, and even the speaker connections (speaker and terminal ends). It may surprise you to find a corroded or incomplete end, thus giving issues when signal path is shorted.

Second, RF.. although not an issue "back in the day" is seriously an issue where many of our newer devices around "old school" components use optical, blue tooth, and higher frequencies to communicate. Lots of these signals if leaking from cheap... :eek:(I meant inexpensive) :rolleyes:signal cords can go right through non shielded circuitry. Lots of old school stuff is un-shielded.

Also.. and a prior poster said it well... :thumbsup:a good internal cleaning!

Lets face it, the reason why older components had removable covers was to service them routinely.. well that didn't likely happen :no:. I have gotten lots of dated equipment, at Thrifts, cleaned them internally, and they magically returned to "full service". It takes some time but is well worth the effort!

Again, welcome and good luck. Hope some of this helps! :rockon:

Welcome. Just because vintage systems seem inexpensive at first, don't be surprised to find out it is not true. Unless you are, or become, very proficient at repair, you will eventually have to pay the piper. These machines are old and will display that at some point in the future. The more you learn here, the better off you are. I hope all works out for you. As I look at it, vintage is worth the cost.

. . .I've got 2 70s pioneer receivers that both have static/crackling in one channel. . . . All I know is my records sound like crap right now because of the crackling and I'm not made of money so I can't afford to keep buying old gear and then having it crap out on me. (Emphasis added)

Gamarjoba. If you've cleaned all controls and contacts, and if the crackling is only on phono, not on aux or tuner, bad transistors in the phono section would be a prime suspect. The 2SC458 is notorious for this, and they are common in gear from that era. KSC1845 is a good and cheap replacement for the 2SC458.

Back
Top Bottom