New Headphone Amp. Now Need Headphones

Jim M

We All Start Somewhere
Hi All
Just ordered one of the new Little Dot Mk IV SE tube headphone amps.
This new amp is getting good reviews and is supposed to have extraordinary soundstage and imaging. I have never had a headphone amp before. This is also my first experience with tubes so I am hoping this amp will give me a taste of what a tube system can sound like.

Now I need some advice on headphones.
I have not had headphones since the early 80's so I have no idea what to look for now, Open, closed, etc
I listen to all kinds of music depending on the mood, but primarily classic rock.
I would like to spend about $250 - $300 but willing to go up to about $400 if the bang for the buck is there.
I want something I can wear with comfort in an easy chair and just get lost in the music while enjoying the soundstage and imaging this tube amp promises.

I work nights now and sometimes I want to listen to music when I get home. The weather has gotten a lot warmer lately in So. Cal so I need the windows open to cool the house down. The neighbors do not appreciate my regular fine listening setup at midnight like I do, hence the need for headphones.
How about some comments or suggestions. :music:
Jim

I can't offer much in the way of comparisons, but I have a set of headphones that have worked very well for me. They are Sony MDR-F1s. The design is an open headphone - like holding a small speaker next to your ear. The open design makes them very comfortable to wear for an extended interval. For me, the comfort factor was important and these definitely provide it.

The sound quality is very good also, although that tends to be an individual thing. Anyway, I would recommend that you look at them.

Edit: You may find the reviews at this site to be helpful:

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/bigreview.htm

Grado SR-60 or SR-80's are very good for their low cost. Sennheiser makes several nice models too.

Yes! I've owned the SR-125's, they were/age good sounding and pretty comfy, these days I'm back the Sennheisers.

And AKG and Beyer have a number of fine models too.

I might suggest staying away from DJ type phones as the seem to be all bass heavy these days.

You can stay well under your price limit and get some very good phones these days.

I have no personal experience with them, but I have read good things about the Akg K701 Studio Headphones and they are less than $300 right now.

The Senn HD650s are also praised in that price range.

From what I have read, the AKGs are very precise and do not add much color to the music. In other words, what is on the source is put in your ears.

The HD650s are said to sound more "musical" than the AKGs, but they are not as precise.

I own HD580s and love them, but some people complain of the lack of bass punch. I also own Grado SR60s and they are great with and without an amp. This makes them more portable than the HD580s (which need an amp).

I have really enjoyed every modern Sennheiser headphone I've listened to, including the cheap pair of HD-497's that I keep in the LR but virtually never use.

Head-fi is the place to visit for info and reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/

I use Grado SR-80's but your budget begs for something a little nicer, AKG gets high praise over there as well as Beyer Dynamics - have a look see.

- Dave

Congrats! I understand it to be a great little headphone amp. I have a set of AKG K701's that are to me Class A. I prefered them to the Grado and Sennheiser 650's IMHO. Unfortunately I do not get much chance to use them :>( working way to much. They are as new and I might be talked into parting with them if your interested PM me.
Enjoy!

Head-fi is definitely the place for all things headphone related .
I first purchase Senn HD580 which I use the most. I then bought a pair of Grado Sr 225 .I liked these alot for rock but I never did get used to the pads .I felt they were quite uncomfortable. I traded these for a NIB pair of Audio Technica ATH-900. Very nice closed phone with alot darker sound signature than the Grados.
I love my Senns . I use a Gilmore Lite headphone amp and am quite pleased with the combo. Good luck in your search for phones.

Russ

I've owned an older set of Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (open-air) headphones for YEARS.
Very good build quality....even the pads have held up well!
Ruler flat frequency response.
A newer set will run you around $180.
Good luck in your search!!

Steve

Head-Fi.org is to headphones as AudioKarma.org is to vintage audio. Go there and ask them. Most everyone there is in agreement that open headphones sound better. Another very simple website to look at is http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/
That website has a lot of great reviews on just about every headphone still available from the most popular manufacturers.

My picks are Sennheiser HD580 (no longer available new) and AKG K601. I really like my K271's but they're not for everybody since they're closed and really not bass heavy.

My picks are Sennheiser HD580 (no longer available new
I did not know they were discontinuing them.:tears: Glad I got a pair before they were all gone...it does explain why I was able to pick them up on Amazon for $125, though.:thmbsp:

You might also consider headphones from Stax. They actually call them ear speakers and they are electrostatic. Mine are amazing. Do a little research on them. There are a few on the auction site at this time.

I want something I can wear with comfort in an easy chair and just get lost in the music while enjoying the soundstage and imaging this tube amp promises.

Actually, the AKG K271 Studio headphones might be perfect for you. They're closed, so VERY little outside sound gets in. You could easily get lost in the music with these. I've had Sennheisers which are much more bass heavy and not for me (was never really into hip-hop). I've also owned Grado and loved the sound, but their soundstage is very small. The AKG's have great soundstage, smooth highs, and a very clear midrange. They get awesome reviews, but people do complain about the bass being weak. I think that's because most people don't drive them properly. With your amp, they'll sound excellent. I feel that people disregard them immediately since they're closed, but I think they give any headphone a run for their money and the fact that they're closed is just a great bonus. One really cool thing about them is they turn off when you take them off your head! The cable is removable (for easy modification) and AKG offers velour pads for added comfort.

nick

I thought about mentioning the STAX electrets, too... but they need to be driven off the speaker outputs of an amplifier, which would kind of obviate the need for the OP's new headphone amp! :-(

I then bought a pair of Grado Sr 225 .I liked these alot for rock but I never did get used to the pads .I felt they were quite uncomfortable.

They actually sell replacement pads for Grado's that are different from the originals and feel different. I thought they were more comfy.

Thanks everyone for all the replies and all the great links.
Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
I just joined Head-fi so I will see what the folks over there are saying.
Jim

Thanks everyone for all the replies and all the great links.
Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
I just joined Head-fi so I will see what the folks over there are saying.
Jim
Joining head-fi can be an expensive venture... Don't say I didn't warn you!:thmbsp::music:

Back
Top Bottom