New headshell and Cartridge setup

Jbmorrey

so I just recently purchased an original headshell for my Pioneer pl41 and I just got my Denon DL110 today, hooked it up to the headshell, put it on the tonearm, and I can not help but think it's not looking right! It looks tilted, is it supposed to look at a slight angle? I mean there is a slot on top of the headshell to slip it in properly, so I am a little confused, also under the headshell is 2 sets of holes for the screws to go in, do I put the Cartridge in the set closest in or further towards the end? I paid enough for this Cartridge, I just don't want to screw it up.

Any other mounting tips are always appreciated.

IMG_1754.JPG

so I just recently purchased an original headshell for my Pioneer pl41 and I just got my Denon DL110 today, hooked it up to the headshell, put it on the tonearm, and I can not help but think it's not looking right! It looks tilted, is it supposed to look at a slight angle? I mean there is a slot on top of the headshell to slip it in properly, so I am a little confused, also under the headshell is 2 sets of holes for the screws to go in, do I put the Cartridge in the set closest in or further towards the end? I paid enough for this Cartridge, I just don't want to screw it up.

Any other mounting tips are always appreciated.

View attachment 984977
It looks like the azimuth is off on that headshell, do you know if the headshell has adjustable azimuth? If so then that is what needs to be done.

Audiofreak71

The Azimuth adjustment is usually a small screw, on the bottom of the armtube just behind the collar that locks the headshell in place (where you can't see it, where it's most inconvenient).

Use your finger to feel if there's a screw there, and let us know. It's a bit fiddly, but easy to fix...

EDIT: Just saw a pic online — it shows 2 adjustment screws where I described...

The Azimuth adjustment is usually a small screw, on the bottom of the armtube just behind the collar that locks the headshell in place (where you can't see it, where it's most inconvenient).

Use your finger to feel if there's a screw there, and let us know. It's a bit fiddly, but easy to fix...

EDIT: Just saw a pic online — it shows 2 adjustment screws where I described...

Ok thanks, I found the adjustment screws, looks like a small flathead, but you are correct, really hard to get to. This is something I have no idea as to how to adjust, any instructions or videos out there?

IMG_1755.JPG

Get your self a cheap screw driver you can shorten the handle so it will fit to the underside of the arm. Loosen the screw and move the collar with the headshell attached until it's level. You'll have to do it by eye then if you have a small level do your final adjustment with that. That's how I did the one on my SL1800MKII.
Good Luck..........

Get your self a cheap screw driver you can shorten the handle so it will fit to the underside of the arm. Loosen the screw and move the collar with the headshell attached until it's level. You'll have to do it by eye then if you have a small level do your final adjustment with that. That's how I did the one on my SL1800MKII.
Good Luck..........

So I loosened both tiny screws underneath the arm and the adjustment of the head alone does not tilt, BUT the whole arm seem to be able to swivel slightly to level it out. One screw completely came out and now I am having a hell of a time putting it back in, not sure if the arm will tighten up when I get both screws in though, we will see.

James

Alright, so in the process of trying to screw one of the "poppy seed" sized screws under the arm, my hand slipped and Needless to say, I will never find that little screw again. My arm still moves slightly and I am wondering if having one of these screws missing is going to have an impact? I can position the Cartridge to be level and the arm stays in that position, I guess I'll just have to be careful when moving the tonearm?

Update, tried to tighten down the other little screw and it came out, so I am back to having 1 screws, neither in the bottom of the arm, looks like I'll be trying to take it somewhere to be adjusted instead of fumbling through this.

James

These screws should not be touched, they aren´t for any azimuth adjustment. The way the arm is tilting something is wrong.

Many headshell collars are actually slip fit. They are tightly clamped, but can be shifted with some force. But when testing, be careful not to damage the arm bearings. To the degree possible, twist while holding the bend in the arm to immobilize it.

Wow - that's way too obvious for me...
I would have thought that any alternative would involve butter knives (and not noninvasively) and/or a large expenditure.

Sorry, I'm not the turntable expert, I've only had some tonearms. On the ones I had relevant to this discussion (eg SME 3009, the prototype of this type h'shell) the screw that secures the h'shell socket/collar inside the armtube, passes through an oversized hole in the armtube (I'm looking at my 3009 now, and the hole is an ellipse, not a round circle). This allows the socket to be rotated a bit to either side to adjust azimuth — and tightening the screw's broad flat head against the outer surface of the armtube then holds it at that angle. It's not locked like Fort Knox, which is why N'Stein can turn it with pliers, with a bit of force. It can also be turned inadvertently by hand-tightening the collar with too much force, which is how they sometimes lose azimuth accidentally. I also recycled a socket/collar from a trashed Kenwood arm into a different arm, and it used the same principle: an oversized hole in the tube.

As far as mounting the cartridge in the headshell, use either of the two different screw locations that will allow the stylus tip to be 49mm from the back of the headshell, where it meets the tonearm. You fine tune this by loosening the thumb screw on top of the headsell.

You might want to remove that cartridge until you are done messing with your azimuth issue. BTW my old PL-50 had the same issue, I believe I would just hold the tonearm at the tightening ring and turn the headshell back to level.

I would just hold the tonearm at the tightening ring and turn the headshell back to level.
Yes, and the old mirror trick is a good one — put a small mirror on the platter (not spinning) and set the stylus on the mirror. It will show the real cartridge and its reflection — the two images should line up vertically in a straight line. If they're at slightly different angles to each other, it's an azimuth error, and the stylus won't read the L and R signals equally, degrading the portrayal of image and soundspace... Twist the h'shell so they line up. Old trick, you may already do it... but might help novices...

Back
Top Bottom