New Here...Mac 1900 soon...

silversport

Hello, I am new here and hope to have in my possession soon a Mac 1900 with slant leg cabinet.
I am rebuilding (from a former owner who didn't love them) a set of Klipsch Cornerhorns to listen to the 1900.
I sure would like any information you could provide to me on the Mac 1900...I have searched here and the web and found some info but I see there are some owners here and would love to here their experiences.
I had the choice for near the same money of a McIntosh 4100 or Mac 1900 with the slant leg...I liked the newer technology of the 4100 but since I believe the Klipschorns to be "All American" (Dad talked lovingly of KHorns and McIntosh gear but could never afford them) and McIntosh to be as well, I went for the more "60's" look to remind me of when I was young and would go into the basement to listen to "HiFi" with my father on his monaural Sherwood and Eico tube gear.
Bill

Last edited:
Welcome Bill! A fine receiver you'll be receiving for sure! Don't have one myself, but long lusted over it. Any speaker starting with KLIPSCH is a winner as well. Good luck on the search for info.

MAC1900 is a nice solid receiver, very few problems with them. Main problems are volume control can be dirty or bad (C28 replacement will work), filter cap or 2 may get weak (easy to bridge), and the protection SCR has been known to short. This is a relatively short list of 1900 problems since I see so few of them on the bench.

Terry,

I have a 1900 and have a problem with the volume contol. When I turn it off or on, I hear a loud staticky sound. Almost like a loud pop. Is that a sign that it is dirty or bad or both?

Probably both, does it make the sound if you pull the plug, if not it's the switch.

Terry and Cruisaire:
Thanks...good to know...I am "jonesin'" for this receiver and for my cornerhorns to be up and running and just need something to "get me over the hump." I appreciate your input!
Bill

dewickt said:
This is a relatively short list of 1900 problems since I see so few of them on the bench.

And that's high praise for a receiver that was last manufactured waaayyy back in 1978. I've had my 4100 for just over a year now, and its used daily for 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. It was flawless when I received it, and it still functions flawlessly. I remember well, my Technics integrated amp, new in 1976- after 4 -5 years, the controls got all glitchy, and required frequent blasts of that Radio Shack tuner cleaner spray. And then a channel failed, after 10-12 years, and it had another catastrophic failure (never took it to the shop) around 1990 which caused me to junk it.

Remembering the problems with the Technics (which I thought of as a high quality brand), and juxtaposing it with the flawless quality of an almost as old 4100... how does McIntosh do it??? :yes:

"how does McIntosh do it???"

BUILD QUALITY, baybee, that's how. Everything Mac builds is made so that all parts run well within their intended ranges. In McIntosh equipment, it is rare that parts are run to their limits in normal - and many times, abnormal use. Most Mac gear is working akin to a Sunday walk in the park under normal circumstances.

I wish more products were built like McIntosh.

wow, somehow my first post got pushed ahead of the two previous posts -which were both posted hours before my reply. My first post - 2:27 pm, then rhkwon at 3:45 am, then Dewickt 3:56 am.

Boy, I must be special. ;)

Back
Top Bottom