1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

New House, putting in new stup

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by EJC1, Oct 22, 2018.

1. EJC1

EJC1 Active Member

We're moving and I'm discovering that my A/V ideas are morphing as circumstances change. I originally thought that I would simply move the old system to the new living room and go with the Yamaha RX-S600 (5.1) as my receiver. Then I found a pair of Speakercraft AIM LCR3s in walls ($174 for the pair) on the closeout rack at BB. I was originally going to use these in another application but I got to thinking that I could now take the living room to 7.1 since I also figured a way to run cables for the rear speakers.
    Then this week I walk into the local BB and they have an "Open Box" Yamaha RX-A 1080 for $900 and he knocked off another $100 when asked. We had been having a pleasant conversation on audio and I think he enjoyed talking to someone who appreciated audio. Anyway, $800 out the door, no tax in NH.

I've started the install and thought I'd see what other ideas were out there.
    Progress so far: Mount for TV is up.
    Mohu Leaf Over Air Antenna mounted and cable buried
    In-Wall box for AC outlet (with surge) and pass through
    The electrician will run a new line for the wall outlet and rear speakers.
    Next, to mount the Speakercrafts and paint the wall

System as now Envisioned:

TV: Sharp Aquos LC-70TQ15U - 70"
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-A 1080
    Center and R&L: Definitive Tech Mythos XTR-SSA5 sound bar.
    Front Effects: Speakercraft Aim LCR
    Rear: Definitive Tech Pro 800
    SW: Definitive Tech Supercube SC4000 wireless (mine works). But I may go wired in this location.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. EJC1

EJC1 Active Member

Anyone interested in the Yamaha RX-S600?

3. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

Have fun with the new setup. It's always a bit of a challenge to get things right in new surroundings but it is a fun challenge in any event.

Offering items for sale must be done in Barter Town. Any other offers outside that section will probably be deleted by the forum staff.

4. EJC1

EJC1 Active Member

Thanks, it's always fun as a project evolves.
    I guess technically the receiver was not yet put up for sale. But I understand what you're saying.

5. EJC1

EJC1 Active Member

BTW, I picked up a Walabot stud finder for this project and so far it has been Dead on locating studs and wires and gives a good picture rendition of the object

6. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

You're stupping your house? Wouldn't that give you splinters? <G>

Sounds like a nice SETUP. Don't forget to surge protect any other cables into the system. Cable, phone, etc. are all paths for a lightning hit. I've got whole house protection here and still lost the DSL modem when we took one here.

musichal, Grenadeslio and EJC1 like this.

7. EJC1

EJC1 Active Member

Thanks on the Surge ideas. Absolutely agree.
    A whole house suppressor has been installed and I'm doing the outlets for the system.
    I once had a Cable box fried along with a NEW 50" TV. The cable box was simply exchanged. The TV it turned out was fried on day #28 of the Best Buy 30 day return policy.

As to the splinters, not as many as tree knot holes.

sKiZo likes this.
  8. KLH9

KLH9 A Double Pair Sounds OK Subscriber

I always run 12ga in the walls from "listening position" to "speaker location" with in-wall mounted "push-to-connect" at both locations. PITA but always glad I did.

9. EJC1

EJC1 Active Member

Thanks.

10. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

When will you understand knot means no lol.

11. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

I ran 18 gauge Belden inside the walls. Round jacket, oxy free, twisted with shield. No drop with excellent RF rejection. Amazing the noise all them cute lil wall warts can make on long runs, eh.

PS - was that you stupping my front yard pine? I swear that one is actually smiling ...

[​IMG]

EJC1 likes this.

12. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Well the one on the left appears to have an onion booty, and the other appears to be appreciating it lol.

EJC1 likes this.
  13. EJC1

EJC1 Active Member

The install progresses.
    The in-wall box has a Surge Suppressor outlet.
    The access for the SoundBar wiring was cut. The wiring was run through the stud, access to drill the hole was through the in-wall outlet box The wiring runs down to the pass-through lower on the wall below the in-wall box.
    The over the air antenna wire was buried in the wall and exits through the in-wall box which is where it also gets its' power.
    Speaker connector plate installed for the rear speakers the line was run and the speakers will be mounted on the wall
    All lower outlets have surge suppressors.

Next to mount the soundbar, in-wall front effects speakers and paint the wall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. EJC1

EJC1 Active Member

Finished the prep work and the wall is now ready to paint.
    Today I got the speakers cut in and ran the wires to connectors lower on the wall.
    I got the soundbar up. I had to run another lead. Next time I've go to get the lead count straight.
    Hope to have it up and rnning soon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]